Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done one? I don't mean drill a hole through your stock kill switch either. I mean something that looks more like a product you would order that taps the stock kill system and runs 2 prongs connected by a jumper to act as a dead-man's switch.

and if someone has, what about splicing a rocker switch to by-pass the tether?

Figuring I will be running faster than 7.0 at my strip pending my up and coming mods (hopefully tomorrow!!) and they require a tether kill switch and full leathers. Beyond that, track limit is 6.0 and 115mph. Something tells me theyre gonna be pissed at me :badteeth:

·
Registered
871 Posts
We used a $20 universal tether on my buddies 10. Much cheaper than the PMR alternative that I went with and it mounts up real nice on the front reservoir bracket.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pic? or instructions on how?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't have any pics of it right now, but I'll be going to work on that bike this weekend so I can snap some pics then. They are the universal tethers we normally install on sleds. I tried attaching a pic of what we use. Just mount that to the reservoir bracket. I believe the ZX needs a normally closed tether, but I can double check that too. You can get them at pretty much any powersports store or fleabay.

Install is pretty easy. Cut one of the wires running to the kill switch (doesn't matter which one). Attach one of the tether wires to a cut end, and the other wire to the other cut end (so tether is in-line). When the tether is seated, the cicuit is normally closed. When it is pulled, the circuit opens and kills the engine. I did a quick wiring diagram too, very simple. Note: colors are not actual colors, just for a visual. Refer to service manual for your year to determine proper kill switch wiring colors.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds awesome! I need to pick one up. thanks for the pic and the diagram. thats actually a pretty good diagram lol. how much did you pain for the tether if you dont my asking?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would you, or anyone else know about making you own? splicing like you said, and just making something 2 prong and using a jumper to keep the circuit closed.

·
Registered
871 Posts
sounds awesome! I need to pick one up. thanks for the pic and the diagram. thats actually a pretty good diagram lol. how much did you pain for the tether if you dont my asking?
We picked one of those up for $20 at the local powersports store. There are plenty of places online that you can get em for that or less.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did, but I got lucky and at a local shop, a guy had taken one off his racebike and sold it to me for half price. When I installed it, instead of how BGoodwin said, and Im not knocking how he posted to, I spliced into both lines for the kill switch. I put one wire to one side of the kill switch, and the other wire to the other wire of the kill switch. My reasoning for this was because its still my street ride and you have to engage both kill systems, flip the kill switch and pull the tether, for it to kill the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts