Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've seen many posts asking about how to make the Interface cable for the kawasaki racing ECU, My bike is an 04' zx10, The 5 pins in the the racing harness programming connector are as follows, You'll have to verify your own pins from other years, the kawi racing manuals have the diagrams for the race ECU connection in the back. The Racing ECU comes with the software, FYI...

Yellow 5Volt-TTL
Orange 5 volt- TTL
Red/white stripe-12 volts
2 x Brown/black stripe-ground

You will need:

1.USB to serial port cable
2. Serial to 5 volt TTL converter
3. 4 blade style wire terminals (or make your own pins)

These are the links to the parts I purchased,

Radio shack USB to serial converter,
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3120513

Serialcomm serial to 5v TTL model: TTL-232-5P
http://www.serialcomm.com/serial_rs232_converters/rs232_rs485_to_ttl_converters/rs232_to_5v_ttl_converter/rs232_to_5v_ttl.product_general_info.aspx

Hook-up to bike,

I used 4 blade termials I purchased from my local ford dealer, but you could always make your own with some wire and solder. It's not as pretty as the ~$500 cable from Kawi or the ~$250 sold by someone on this forum but it works, and cost me $58.

To determine which TTL wire went to "In TTL" and "out TTL" on the TTL adapter I just guessed. It didn't comunicate the first time so I reversed the TTL wires and bingo.

Since i've seen others claim there $250 cable works from 04-10 and on 6Rs', I bet the pins stay the same on the bike harness side, but please verify with a volt meter. Your TTL Pins will have 5 volts when check with a volt meter, 2 will have continuity to ground and the last pin will will have battery voltage.

My hook up to the Serial to TTL converter for an 04' zx10r was

Yellow to--"In TTL"
Orange to--"Out TTL"
Brown/Black stripe--"GND"
Brown/Black stripe --"GND"
Red/white stripe--not used

attached are pictures to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no mine is the 04 Kit ECU, I found it at a shop in texas a couple of weeks ago, from what I read the other gen one (05) kit ecu had the overrev and pit lane speed limit, and quickshift, other than that it has the same tunning tables.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
those features are hardware dependant,I have 2 versions of the fi software, the one that came with the ECU and a newer version, and it wont let me flash the 05 ecu file into the 04 ecu, and I can pull up the 04 or 05 file in the later version

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The flashing pins come to the connector on the stock ECU, but there is no AUD pin, which means you wont be able to get the stock ROM file out of the computer from the connectors, you have to cut the ECU open and hook directly to some of the ECU Chip pins. The processors flash in exactly the same way as the Mitsubishi Cars, except we dont have OBDII ports for easy flashing, you would have to do a bench top flash, There are alot of free opensource flash programs for misubishi cars, subaru, etc.. that would probally work but you would need the stock ROM first, and decode what the diffrent tables mean. All the info is out there for free, just have to have time to piece it together, ZX12's-14s' and hyabusa have had stock ECU flash capabilities for a long time,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to mention, you have to set the correct com port in the Kawi FI tool software, it's in one of the settings menus, after software install the selection defaults to com port 1, The usb to serial cable will automaticlly install drivers when you hook it to the laptop, go to the device manager in windows and under ports(com/lpt) see which com port windows assigned to the usb/serial and set the kawi software to match.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In theory it should work, because all you need is to convert USB to 5V TTL, I looked into the FTDI brand of usb to TTL, but I had the USB to serial on hand from another project, so I just bought the TTL converter becuase I knew the serialcomm brand would work as advertise, and It looks a little more shop eviroment friendly, but for $10 give it a shot.

·
Registered
581 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 2007 ZX-6R with a race ECU. It didn't come with the software required for programming the ECU. Anyone know where I can get a copy? Thanks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It's certainly very annoying that Kawasaki doesn't provide tools to modify engine parameters (AF primarily) without requiring the race ECU (and the ensuing loom which stops you from being able to use the bike on the road).

I'm one of many people who use their G4 on both the track and the road. Swapping out the loom and ECU just for a track day is insane.

I noticed that the Bavarian manufacturer now allows this type of capability, when will Kawasaki?

A.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey ARC,

I don't have the racing harness..still the street harness Kawi had a 4 inch adapter ECU harness to go from the Race ecu to the factory harness.. you only need the race harness if you want the racing tach..you also loose kickstand switch function

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anyways,I just sold my ZX10R...I'm gonna see what all these silly DUC owners are flapping about I ordered a 1199R

1 - 20 of 23 Posts