Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've posted up here a few times in the last month, mostly with questions concerning how much power my 05 10r w/ TRE, Can, Thin head gasket, PC III, and +5 in the back should have. Well, i got her on a dyno yesterday. It was dyno'd @ 90 degrees F, and keep in mind i am at 4700 feet elevation. Max Power: 145hp. WTF!!!
The mechanic said he couldnt find anything wrong with the bike, he said it was just a little anemic. He also mentions that his dyno always dissapoints anyone who runs on it, but really, 145? Anyone out there run into this problem, or have a clue as to what may be going on?

·
Registered
370 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your bike. You simply had a less then generous Dyno. there is nothing wrong with either your bike or the dyno it simply gives low numbers. Dynos are tools for tuning, nothing else, there is absolutely no point in going to a Dyno to see numbers, because they are never the same as another dyno.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha. The reasoning behind taking it to the dyno was it doesnt power wheelie in either 1st or 2nd gear. So i figured i was losing power somewhere along the line.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Gotcha. The reasoning behind taking it to the dyno was it doesnt power wheelie in either 1st or 2nd gear. So i figured i was losing power somewhere along the line.
The front wheel doesn't come up WOT in first or second?

Even in stock form my Gen 1 had a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground in second gear with the throttle pinned.

·
Registered
370 Posts
First, ask your self if your bike honestly feel slow to you. 600s put around just above 100hp and they power wheelie just fine. If you ZX-10 really cant do a power wheelie, then I'll be shocked. For arguments sake, lets say it cant, 145hp( and with your set up your realistically around 160ish on most Dynos) is still way more then enough to do a power wheelie.

I'm not trying to come off as an ass here, but have you done power wheelies on other bikes before? If you honestly have, and can honestly say you can jump on another bike and do a wheelie no problem, then jump on your 10 and not do one, then yes, there is a serious problem somewhere in your bike.

Agian, not trying to be rude or an ass, but the issue is most likley you not giving in enough throttle. Go out, take your bike to about 6500 RPMS in first gear, cut the throttle, then quickly hit it hard again (keep your foot on the back brake!!), if you still cant wheelie it, come back theres a problome.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rode a 2000 r6 for 3 years, and had no problems doing a power wheelie with a good amount of pre load. I was under the impression that no pre load is necessary with the 10r to get the front wheel up. The bike will pull one up with preload for sure, just not by merely cracking the throttle. But if its normal to have to pre load, then all is ok. And dont worry, i dont think your a dick, lol.

·
Registered
772 Posts
First, ask your self if your bike honestly feel slow to you. 600s put around just above 100hp and they power wheelie just fine. If you ZX-10 really cant do a power wheelie, then I'll be shocked. For arguments sake, lets say it cant, 145hp( and with your set up your realistically around 160ish on most Dynos) is still way more then enough to do a power wheelie.

I'm not trying to come off as an ass here, but have you done power wheelies on other bikes before? If you honestly have, and can honestly say you can jump on another bike and do a wheelie no problem, then jump on your 10 and not do one, then yes, there is a serious problem somewhere in your bike.

Agian, not trying to be rude or an ass, but the issue is most likley you not giving in enough throttle. Go out, take your bike to about 6500 RPMS in first gear, cut the throttle, then quickly hit it hard again (keep your foot on the back brake!!), if you still cant wheelie it, come back theres a problome.

:+1: good advice.

i could power wheelie my svk no problem in first, anytime. second had to bounce but with gearing, no problem.

i am way faster on the street and on the track with my 10r. however, i have a hard time bringing it up with power on the 10r. not because it won't do it, but because i am not comfortable whacking to wot in first, and sometimes second. clutch up and bounce up is easy, but i don't want to end up on my back in first or second.

i would suspect that if you can't power wheelie a 145 hp bike in first or second its because you aren't opening the throttle with enough authority.

don't be scared, alice. it will only hurt a little.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Another thing to consider is that your ram air wasn't having any air rammed into your air box. I dyno'd mine at 148 stock, (07) and they told me that on the street, it would have more.

Also said that some dynos vary, some places will set their so the reading is high (dyno comps and stuff).

Did you have the oxy sensor readouts too? That may tell you some things.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Start out with the 4500ft elevation. Thats gonna suck a huge amount of power. The 90 degree weather aint helping your cause either. Get your bike to sea level in decent dry cool conditions and get on with it..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hm...must be something in the air up there :dontknow:. Rolling the throttle down should pull the front tire up on it's own (no preload, no cracking the throttle). My 04 will NOT stay down under acceleration (even when I'm practically laying on the tank :mrgreen:).

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So one thing i forgot to mention was that i removed the secondaries before i got the TRE installed. After getting a few more hours on the bike last night it seems like it has all the power it needs to pull the front up, but there is a major hesitation when i go WOT, even from 7k. It seems that the power delivery is not instant enough to want to pull the tire up much. Any ideas?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hm...must be something in the air up there :dontknow:. Rolling the throttle down should pull the front tire up on it's own (no preload, no cracking the throttle). My 04 will NOT stay down under acceleration (even when I'm practically laying on the tank :mrgreen:).
Sounds like i need to find someone with the same Gen 10r up here, and covince them to swap bikes for a ride.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like an air/fuel ratio problem to me (but I'm not a huge expert)...I run into it a lot on my older cars. How much faith do you have in your custom map? Removing the secondaries is more than likely going to lean out your motor...so it might not hurt to monitor the A/F while your bike is on the dyno.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like an air/fuel ratio problem to me (but I'm not a huge expert)...I run into it a lot on my older cars. How much faith do you have in your custom map? Removing the secondaries is more than likely going to lean out your motor...so it might not hurt to monitor the A/F while your bike is on the dyno.
At only 25 bucks a run, i thats definately a good idea. I will have to get her back up there and see what is going on!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also its probably worth mentioning the dumb @$$ that i bought the bike from replaced the speedo with one from a 636...... So the FI light is constantly on. The mechanic said that if he cant get it off it could mess with the custom tune, and he never could get it to shut off. How many problems could this be causing?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts