Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Gen4 '14 ZX10R ABS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So the right fork was leaking oil and I had the seals and dust caps replaced on both sides. No more leaks but i always have a very fine layer of dirt that accumulates on the right side (the one that leaked earlier). Doesn't feel oily when i wipe it off. Please refer to the images below:

20210508_110433.jpg 20210508_110433.jpg

Any idea why this is happening? Also when we opened up the fork to replace the seals, noticed that the following 2 parts on both the forks had cracked:
BUSHING-FRONT FORK 44065-0040
RING-O 92055-0215

Since the parts weren't available, we left it in there and placed order for them. Will this have anything to do with my current problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
That is a minuscule amount of oil. Not enough to feel oily, but enough to attract dust. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure to give the fork a quick wipe before or after you ride, and the seals will last a long time. I've seen forks that always have a tiny amount of oil on them, even after replacing the seals and bushings with oem components.

·
Registered
Gen4 '14 ZX10R ABS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! But does that mean the fork oil is continuing to leak albeit very lightly?

·
Registered
95 Posts
If the seals were just installed, there may be some residual fork oil or rubber grease on them from the install. I wouldn’t worry too much, as this residual will likely wear off and you’ll stop getting a film.

I’m also assuming you used good seals like oem or skf. Keep an eye on them but, I think you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
Gen4 '14 ZX10R ABS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the seals were just installed, there may be some residual fork oil or rubber grease on them from the install. I wouldn’t worry too much, as this residual will likely wear off and you’ll stop getting a film.

I’m also assuming you used good seals like oem or skf. Keep an eye on them but, I think you’ll be fine.
Got it, I was hoping that just might be it. Yes, everything is OEM. Will keep an eye on it for a few miles and see if it reduces.

·
The Pace
7,136 Posts
Hello everyone,

So the right fork was leaking oil and I had the seals and dust caps replaced on both sides. No more leaks but i always have a very fine layer of dirt that accumulates on the right side (the one that leaked earlier). Doesn't feel oily when i wipe it off. Please refer to the images below:

View attachment 448073 View attachment 448073

Any idea why this is happening? Also when we opened up the fork to replace the seals, noticed that the following 2 parts on both the forks had cracked:
BUSHING-FRONT FORK 44065-0040
RING-O 92055-0215

Since the parts weren't available, we left it in there and placed order for them. Will this have anything to do with my current problem?
How many miles when you first noticed the seal leak?

·
Registered
Gen4 '14 ZX10R ABS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just fixed the 1st leak 150 miles ago and the build up of this film has been there ever since fixing it.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,065 Posts
Fork seals usually get a bit of grease applied to them, likely it’s a light film from that. What I see is NOTHING to worry about.

All I see there is a dust seal doing it’s job. It pushes the dust ahead of it so it doesn’t get inside your fork seals and bugger them up.

·
The Pace
7,136 Posts
Just fixed the 1st leak 150 miles ago and the build up of this film has been there ever since fixing it.
Nope: HOW MANY MILES ON BIKE WHEN YOU NOTICED the fork OIL Leak????

That data will provide me info needed to sort you in the right direction.

·
The Pace
7,136 Posts
Fork seals usually get a bit of grease applied to them, likely it’s a light film from that. What I see is NOTHING to worry about.

All I see there is a dust seal doing it’s job. It pushes the dust ahead of it so it doesn’t get inside your fork seals and bugger them up.
He's Indian, meaning on crap roads far more nasty compared to our American trashed roads. That is part of the math here.

·
Registered
Gen4 '14 ZX10R ABS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope: HOW MANY MILES ON BIKE WHEN YOU NOTICED the fork OIL Leak????

That data will provide me info needed to sort you in the right direction.
The initial leak was at around 9600 miles or so. Changed the seals at 9800 and now the odo reads 10k.

·
The Pace
7,136 Posts
The initial leak was at around 9600 miles or so. Changed the seals at 9800 and now the odo reads 10k.
Got it. Thx. I can report that my 2011 g4 seals failed, as in leaking, around 30k miles. BUT, I did NOT note any riding problems. Even with my freeways at that location (San Francisco area and East Bay to Mt. Hamilton, Lick Observatory Nazi Land), all chunked crapped out concrete junked asphalt, at that time ((2012-2014) that g4 performed flawless handling.

OK, So...that bike did not have extended warranty. blew a valve at 50k miles. I was prepping a house move, year 2014. After the move, thinking that the 2011 failure was a glitch, (I run MANY super bikes) bought a new 2013 in Sept. 2014. Those seals never leaked but a valve failed at 70k miles, under warranty. Dealer fixed, THEN valve failed at about 81k. Dealer went through entire engine and wanted to replace fork seals.....

My read is that Kawa improved their seals.

But your sealed failed less than 10k miles.

Your data does not enter the math graph function with mine.

I was thinking the 2013 seals were improved over the 2011.

Be interesting to sort out the exact fork seal history from the Kawa guys.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,065 Posts
Do you have pictures of these cracked bushings? Normally they wear, they don’t normally crack.
This is what they should look like. The dark grey surface, inside on one, outside on the other, is the sliding surface. When this coating is scored up it’s time to think about changing them.

·
Registered
Gen4 '14 ZX10R ABS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have pictures of these cracked bushings? Normally they wear, they don’t normally crack.
This is what they should look like. The dark grey surface, inside on one, outside on the other, is the sliding surface. When this coating is scored up it’s time to think about changing them.
View attachment 448113
Hey, I forgot to take any photos but this not the part I'm referring to. These are the 2 parts (44065, 92055) I was referring to:

I tried watching couple of videos on YouTube to verify the parts but in none of them could I see these 2. Now I'm confused o_O

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,065 Posts
The parts I showed are the fork bushings. They are the sliding bearing surfaces that support the fork stanchion, the piece you showed a photo of with dust on it) as it slides into and out fo the fork leg.

The Diagram you are pointing too look like the seals on the damper rod support/spacer “thingy”. You are best replacing them if they are perished/cracked. But they will not cause the oil leak you think you have. Thats a very light mist getting past your seals. But when you put new seals in you normally use plenty of red rubber grease. So you may just be getting a slight hazing from this. I don’t think it’s anything worth worrying about.

This guy here seems to know what he’s doing, the only bit I don’’t like is his inability to torque things back up correctly! ;) I torque it all back up to spec.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts