Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't about my 10, but if anyone knows about dirt bikes please chime in.

I just got a 2009 crf 450r not to long ago. When it gets too hot from doing slow technical woods riding it starts pissing coolant out of the weep hole. When I add more in to the top of the radiator, it looks all gunked with with orange coolant crap. It looks like orange sludge. Would it be okay or would it work to do a coolant flush with the distilled water and the heat cycle process? Afterwards I want to install a boyesen supercooler kit and engine ice. Can it run with that?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds like its overheating in the woods. The "R" models don't have a rad fan and aren't really designed to go slow. If its orange and gunky I would flush it as good as you can and replace the coolant.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like its overheating in the woods. The "R" models don't have a rad fan and aren't really designed to go slow. If its orange and gunky I would flush it as good as you can and replace the coolant.
I mean I understand it's overheating and understand the models. Is the distilled water and heat cycle process the best way to flush it? Is engine Ice ok to be ran through it?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I always ran engine ice in my enduro bikes. Run it with the distilled water for a minute or two, shut it off and do another quick water cycle. Finally fill it with the Engine Ice.

I ran a boysen supercooler in a YZ167 2 smoker and it would still boil over in the slow technical stuff. Id save your money and use the engine ice first.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I know this isn't about my 10, but if anyone knows about dirt bikes please chime in.

I just got a 2009 crf 450r not to long ago. When it gets too hot from doing slow technical woods riding it starts pissing coolant out of the weep hole. When I add more in to the top of the radiator, it looks all gunked with with orange coolant crap. It looks like orange sludge. Would it be okay or would it work to do a coolant flush with the distilled water and the heat cycle process? Afterwards I want to install a boyesen supercooler kit and engine ice. Can it run with that?
Not unusual for few drops of coolant to come out the weep hole, my F800GS does it and so do the new R1200GS's. Matter of fact most if not all liquid-cooled engines weep coolant but we don't see it because the weep hole is low on the bike or under the hood. But it should be such a small amount that it does not cause the coolant level to go down. If it's pissing out coolant excessively then the mechanical seal is bad and you need to rebuild or repair the water pump.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not unusual for few drops of coolant to come out the weep hole, my F800GS does it and so do the new R1200GS's. Matter of fact most if not all liquid-cooled engines weep coolant but we don't see it because the weep hole is low on the bike or under the hood. But it should be such a small amount that it does not cause the coolant level to go down. If it's pissing out coolant excessively then the mechanical seal is bad and you need to rebuild or repair the water pump.
If it was the mechanical seal, wouldn't it be pissing coolant all the time? By all the time, I mean basically from start up not even hot?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Sounds like someone mixed coolant types and it coagulated. Yeah, flush it and fill it with either 50/50 or Engine Ice as mentioned.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Mentioned above, engine ice will give you a little bit cooler, but the 250-r and 450-r will run hot, on the tight single tracks you gotta try and hustle or it will start to get really hot. Keep her moving and if you get arm pump and too tired to continue or get stuck, shut her off.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I had to get second bike for tight woods shit. Was afraid of serious overheating on my R model. This goes for all brands.. Having said that flush it use wetter and try again. Maybe it was extra hot?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I flushed it over the weekend until the water was coming out clear then filled with engine ice. Made sure there wasn't any bubbles. Still over heats. There has to be a decent solution to this? I was looking at a 2013 crf450X the other day and it doesn't have a fan either? Is there something different about their cooling systems or what?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If it was the mechanical seal, wouldn't it be pissing coolant all the time? By all the time, I mean basically from start up not even hot?
No, not at all. Mechanical seals are in use in almost every type of centrifugal pump application and a drop or two now and again are very normal. Used a lot for water supply, lifting water to storage tanks, big pumps.

What happens is the molecules just squeeze by every so often.

But a drop or two is one thing, excessive leaking something else again.

New BMW 1200 waterpumper has the same issue, BMW explains it is normal.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I flushed it over the weekend until the water was coming out clear then filled with engine ice. Made sure there wasn't any bubbles. Still over heats. There has to be a decent solution to this? I was looking at a 2013 crf450X the other day and it doesn't have a fan either? Is there something different about their cooling systems or what?
Could be wrong but I think the gearing and topend is a little different between r and x but I think x is still a bike that needs to keep moving. Most do in the dirt. 4 wheelers too

I ended up with an enduro type on off that had fan. Honda, 650 maybe? It didn't last long

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Could be wrong but I think the gearing and topend is a little different between r and x but I think x is still a bike that needs to keep moving. Most do in the dirt. 4 wheelers too

I ended up with an enduro type on off that had fan. Honda, 650 maybe? It didn't last long
Now that you mention gearing, can someone answer this..

I'm a part of the thumpertalk forum also and a lot of guys have the same problem etc. One guy said he found a old mechanic trick that changing the gearing up a few teeth in the rear completely fixes this? Anyone ever heard of that? The only thing I could think of is if it keeps you from always working the clutch and from the plates not getting all that friction heat?

I've heard a lot of good things about the 650, but not my "cup of tea" lol

White, idk but that just seems so strange to me. I don't want to be in the middle of no where (which happens a lot) and my bike starts pissing coolant then I'm shit outta luck.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Now that you mention gearing, can someone answer this..

I'm a part of the thumpertalk forum also and a lot of guys have the same problem etc. One guy said he found a old mechanic trick that changing the gearing up a few teeth in the rear completely fixes this? Anyone ever heard of that? The only thing I could think of is if it keeps you from always working the clutch and from the plates not getting all that friction heat?

I've heard a lot of good things about the 650, but not my "cup of tea" lol

White, idk but that just seems so strange to me. I don't want to be in the middle of no where (which happens a lot) and my bike starts pissing coolant then I'm shit outta luck.
dude if it is pissing coolant the way you say then the water pump needs rebuilt

the seal is bad

maybe you did this but if not flush the coolant and put in new and make sure to bleed/burp the cooling system because air in there can cause overheating

Honda is not known for making bikes that overheat as you describe

I had a CR250R water-pumper back in the day, rode the snot out of it, never overheated

Also had a WR250X Yamaha, flogged it, no sign of overheating

you have some issue with the cooling system most likely air or improper flushing or bad seal in water pump

as with a faulty radiator cap a bad seal will prevent the system from reaching the proper pressure

get it fixed and see what happens

1 - 15 of 15 Posts