Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a big guy, 6'4 ~300#. I've been riding with the stock spring but I feel like this would be a whole new bike to me with the correct suspension. I will have to order a custom spring from Hyperco or Eibach because I'm recoomended a couple kg's from the stiffest racetech one. I need the following measurements of the stock Gen4 rear spring..
Free standing length (length of spring if it was standing on a table)
Inner diameter
And outter diameter.

Thank you for any help.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
I have a stock spring sitting on the shelf at home. I'll measure it for you tonight.

You're going to need more than just a spring though. The internal damping rates will be too weak to handle the stiffer spring so you're going to have to get the whole shock rebuilt. And if you're going to send the shock to someone for that work, then I'd assume they could source a new spring for you as well. :dontknow:

Reactions: Sasquatch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a stock spring sitting on the shelf at home. I'll measure it for you tonight.

You're going to need more than just a spring though. The internal damping rates will be too weak to handle the stiffer spring so you're going to have to get the whole shock rebuilt. And if you're going to send the shock to someone for that work, then I'd assume they could source a new spring for you as well. :dontknow:
I was just going to bring it to my mechanic to swap the springs. That's relatively easy for a seasoned mechanic. Messing with those nitrogen shocks is a whole different story. I just want to decrease sag a bit and increase ride-ability. I'm not hitting a track anytime soon and don't need to spend thousands on a new shock right away. The stock shock doesn't have much room for tweaking. I'd have to buy and aftermarket one and then have it beefed up and still buy a new spring ?

·
Registered
374 Posts
There is a company in the US that will re-valve and respring your OEM rear shock, I've seen several posts on the forum of riders getting decent results. It's a few hundred bucks and will get the bikes geometry back in line for you. It doesn't sound like your pushing near the limits of the bike, this would be the cheapest route for you and sounds like the result you're trying to achieve.

As mentioned a re-spring alone of the OEM won't give you dampening performance, which is equaly important in suspension.

If you decide to spring for an aftermarket shock, it will be custom built for your needs, including the correct Spring rate. The cost will not increase the price of the shock.

There are a some EXCELLENT suspension gurus trolling this forum who can hook you up.

The classified section occasionally throw up some screaming deals on top shelf rear shocks. Just keep an eye on them.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
I'd recommend you get in contact with Suspension Technologies in Clearwater, FL. They've revalved several members shocks, including mine. As mentioned, the cost is a couple hundred dollars including the new spring. It's well worth the time and effort versus just upgrading the spring. The spring alone is only part of the problem.

Regardless, here's the dimensions on the OEM G4 spring:

Free length = 7 inches
Outer coil diameter = 3.0625 inches

1 - 7 of 7 Posts