Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Keep the 848 or get the 999S?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal. I went to the Ducati dealer today and now have a dilemma. The dealer has a brand spanking new Parts Unlimted/ Ducati Team Austin 999S signed by Neil Hodgson and Ben Bostrom with Ohlins front in rear, Brembo radial brakes, and a Termi exhaust he is selling for $15,000, but is willing to give it to me for $14K. It was the showroom bike and they want to sell it off. It has the full 2 year warranty and has 3 miles on it. Immaculate condition. He tells me he will take my bike in trade for it plus a couple grand. Should I do it? I love that bike, but love the 848 too. Opinions?

***addendum*** This 999 since it was made in 2007 has the updated valvetrain like the Testastretta Evoluzione on the current 848/1098/1198's so it also has the same maintenance schedule as the current bikes.

Attachments

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
lets see

trade the 848 for a bike that requires maintenance every time you look at it?

no.

·
Registered
235 Posts
999s is a pretty sweet bike.... esp the parts unlimited scheme, but in all honesty the only reason youd be buying it is for collection purposes. Even the 848 out performs the 999 in everyway.

If i had extra cash for a second bike id buy it, but you already got a duc... go for the 1198. 1198 is the only other bike id get rid of my 10 for.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,081 Posts
Id go for the 999 myself. That bike is an icon, I would put that mofo in my living room its so gorgeous.

·
Registered
134 Posts
if you have a ducati, no one ask you about the the cc or the year you bought it...
so i will say my opinion about the design, your bike looks better to me.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
The 999's were infamous for..their problems. It's for sure sweet and it's the upgraded version (red frame, black swinarm) but still i wouldn't touch it. I agree with Angry Moose, if you need more torque and have the extra $$$ get the 1198, helluva difference !!!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
14k for the 999S....... NO BRAINER go for it....

theres one out here near me - 0 miles 2007 999S $17,500

EDIT:
***addendum*** This 999 since it was made in 2007 has the updated valvetrain like the Testastretta Evoluzione on the current 848/1098/1198's so it also has the same maintenance schedule as the current bikes.

what are you waiting for honez?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Seriously man, coming from a ducati of only 2 years and change, i would say PASS!
the 99S was a good bike and has some nice touches to it, but seriously comapred to an 848 with that additional money put into it, you would be kinda insane to go that route, UNLESS you prefer the fit of the 999 instead.

How about i send you a 848 poster to help you keep it?
Once i get my forks dialed in with some new cartirdges, my 10R will be left at the way side come mountain passes.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Having not ridden either, I would go for the 999. I dig 'em. But I like porsche 944's too (what can I say, I have a thing for the ugly step-child of a manufacturer). Especially if it can handle the more lax maintenance schedule, it seems like a better collector, more fun bike, and a great deal.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Definetly a nice collectors piece. I would base it on how often you plan on riding the Duc's. If you put them through the paces often I would keep the 848

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
i really like the looks of the 999. that is a hell of a deal for that bike. there is a used one in san diego with 13k on it for $13.5. i'm not knocking the 848 but was able to take one for a 30 minute test ride and wasn't impressed or inspired. the 999 has more personality imo and i think it truly epitomizes italian design.

get it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
14k for the 999S....... NO BRAINER go for it....

theres one out here near me - 0 miles 2007 999S $17,500

EDIT:

what are you waiting for honez?
:eek2::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: There are 1098S models on craigslist and Ebay that have gone for $14,000 and $15,000 No body in there right mind would pay 14k for a 999S unless they're an idiot!

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
:eek2::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: There are 1098S models on craigslist and Ebay that have gone for $14,000 and $15,000 No body in there right mind would pay 14k for a 999S unless they're an idiot!
we're talking about a brand new team america/austin 999s for 14k. that's not bad imo.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You can get another 848 easy at a later date. The 999s will not be as easy to find later. And its brand new.
Not much of a Duc rider but I do drool over them. One day a 848 will be in my pit.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The 999's were infamous for..their problems. It's for sure sweet and it's the upgraded version (red frame, black swinarm) but still i wouldn't touch it. I agree with Angry Moose, if you need more torque and have the extra $$$ get the 1198, helluva difference !!!
What are you talking about? I have Never had any problems with mine. EVER but I say hell yes buy that bike but it does have the same engine as the 06 999. That is the only 07 they made and plus it is the third best looking bike in the world.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts