Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm moving into a new house and now the big question has risen. Digital Cable or Satelite?

I need all the channels and DVR plus high speed internet for Xbox LIVE.

opinions anyone...?

·
Registered
417 Posts
digital cable, satelite aint worth shyte in the rain.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
If you want the highest internet I would go Cable...other than that had good times and bad times with both...but with sat...I was able to repair myself and not wait for some junky technician.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
bluedevil said:
If you want the highest internet I would go Cable...other than that had good times and bad times with both...but with sat...I was able to repair myself and not wait for some junky technician.
I also need to add that Sat. was the most reliable rain or shine....but I couldn't do without my cable for internet. :headshake:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
FAF said:
Cable , Sat is crap in storms.
Depends on your Sat. installer...I did all my own and got a 95 or sometimes higher signal...even had a bud with more specialized equipment said he never seen a signal that high. I admit I use to in the old days install sats for the paging industry but my point is if they are installed right it is very hard this day and age to cause an outage if the original signal is at high level in the first place. Now....cables that get water logged after a storm because of bad installers is more likely to happen.:wink:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wait till the promotions go away for the sat.Then it's usually higher than cable.Also see how long it takes for someone to come out when you have a problem.Sat customer service stinks.Also if you want a high speed cable modem it will probably be cheaper when bundled with cable tv.I say go cable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
:dontknow: Depends on where you live. In Florida satellite is better because it takes cable rerpairmen a long time to fix it after a hurricane. After cranking up the generator, I was watching tv that night. The bitch is still being on dial up.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I've had Dish, DirecTV, and the local Digital Cable and I much prefer DirecTV (combined with TiVo) over everything. But for TV ONLY! I still use the local cable jerks for my Internet. Just a side note, dump whatever local phone company you got too and go Vonage. I've had em' for about a year and would only have two minor complaints, but the service and price WAY outweigh that crap.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kickaho said:
Just a side note, dump whatever local phone company you got too and go Vonage. I've had em' for about a year and would only have two minor complaints, but the service and price WAY outweigh that crap.
I know, thats why i'm choosing these routes over DSL. Vonage really is the way to go. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Kickaho said:
I've had Dish, DirecTV, and the local Digital Cable and I much prefer DirecTV (combined with TiVo) over everything. But for TV ONLY! I still use the local cable jerks for my Internet....

:+1:
My experience exactly.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
But, if you do live in a place where you get constant rain (ie NW), cable MAY be a better choice. All Ka and Ku band satellites experience "rain fade" when there is enough water in the atmosphere (rain) between you and the satellite to cause the digital signal to be scattered. It doesn't have to be raining directly on you, just between your antenna and the satellite in orbit. The old C band satellites generally didn't have this problem (different freq vs KaKu). Best bet is to ask around with your neighbors and get their experiences with satellite and cable.
On the Internet side, unless you can afford a T1 or find a fractional T1 lease, then cable modem is the best choice their. Or if you live, literally, next door to the CO switch, then DSL MIGHT be a consideration.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Rabbit ears seem to do the trick for me!!! :crackup:
With the right amount of tin foil the internet is extremely fast.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts