Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking about purchasing an 06-07 tank for my 04-05. I have heard that it will fit and they look the same. Has anyone else ever seen this done or heard that it will work? If so what other parts are interchangeable for that year? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I was just thinking about purchasing an 06-07 tank for my 04-05. I have heard that it will fit and they look the same. Has anyone else ever seen this done or heard that it will work? If so what other parts are interchangeable for that year? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You wouldn't be looking for a tank for a track bike or anything would you? I have a black tank with fuel pump for an 04-05 that is in ok shape that would be good for a track bike. I bought it awhile ago with the intention of tracking my 10R but have since abandoned that idea. I'm in NS too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The 06/07 tanks will fit the 04/05 bikes OK - but not the other way around because the shape of the later airbox prevents the early tanks seating properly
are you 100% on that? I ask only because I was told the opposite. I have no idea and have passed up several 06 07 tanks because I wasn't comfortable hammering the shit outa the bottom of a perfectly straight tank just to fit it on my 04.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Right - clearly I had my head up my backside when I said that cos I have it ass about face.

The early (04/05) tanks will fit the later 06/07 bikes as a straight swap.

The 06/07 tanks will fit on the early bikes - but only if the airbox lid is removed. Ok as a short term measure, but not really practical.

The reason is that the tanks on the later bikes have a shallower hollow beneath the tank.

Sorry for the confusion. It's been a long day ........ :wink:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Right - clearly I had my head up my backside when I said that cos I have it ass about face.

The early (04/05) tanks will fit the later 06/07 bikes as a straight swap.

The 06/07 tanks will fit on the early bikes - but only if the airbox lid is removed. Ok as a short term measure, but not really practical.

The reason is that the tanks on the later bikes have a shallower hollow beneath the tank.

Sorry for the confusion. It's been a long day ........ :wink:
no need for an apology Mate.....I just heard it differently and wanted to be sure. thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have a Gen2 tank on my Gen1. Cosmetically identical, and the gas caps mount the same. I gave to "gentle" blows to the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallet and it fits perfect. Not really a big deal.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a Gen2 tank on my Gen1. Cosmetically identical, and the gas caps mount the same. I gave to "gentle" blows to the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallet and it fits perfect. Not really a big deal.
"two gentle blows" has a much better ring to it than the "pound the hell outa the bottom with a hammer and it'll fit" description I was givin' LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.