Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
I really need to get out of the house
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went and looked at a new puppy tonight, I want to get another puppy, just worried about my girl (yellow lab in first pic) I have now, I have always had two dogs until about 6 years ago when I had to put my black lab down. So she has been alone since then, she is now 16 and a great dog, just not sure about bring a puppy into the house now......help?!?! Dont know what to do:dontknow:

The black one (last pic) is the one that stole my heart.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You got puppy love :)

16 is up there for older yeller, and she looks good for her age. My brother had a collie/bernard (big dog) that lived 16 years.

Black pup is about as cute as it gets!

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
as freaking cute as that pup is, if I were you and had a 16 year old dog I would wait. The old girl would feel like she is being replaced after a long happy life.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
as freaking cute as that pup is, if I were you and had a 16 year old dog I would wait. The old girl would feel like she is being replaced after a long happy life.

I have to agree...not for the replacement thing but your dog is very old. It needs peace in it's last years and a puppy can distract they are to much energy and may even hurt your current dog with mind and body. I may be wrong but at that age I will just wait until your dog passes....sorry Red...that's what I would do.

bloo

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
:+2: Hard to swallow advice but i would have to concur. If the pups cannot find a good home or were at a shelter that would put them down if they weren't adopted would be the only way I would justify bringing a pup home. Either way you go, I'm with ya to the end as far as "ZX-10R.net" goes.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Just don't look the puppy directly in the eyes!!........and stop looking at the pic of him RG!!! you're gonna drive yourself nuts. i'm split 50-50 honestly, i see what everyone is saying about the ol' girl wanting peace and what not BUT she was use to having a companion and know they've been gone for the past 6 years like you said soooooooo maybe a pupe would be a good thing for her? rejuvinate her a little bit (or run her ragged) BUT at least she'd have a buddy? i'd hate to have to make that call. do what you feel is right.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,020 Posts
I would be hard pressed not to give all my love to your 16 year old girl. Look at that pic of her, she is JUST as adorable as any puppy. I bet you two have had an amazing 16 years together and who knows how many more. I think I would pour all my energy into making sure her remaining years are as wonderful as they can be.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to dogs, but I did have a similar experience. A former g/f had two Golden Retrievers for several years. One was killed in an accident and she got a new pup shortly thereafter. The older dog seemed to "perk up" and bonded with the puppy. She was very protective and seemed like she had a new purpose in life. Suppose it could go either way, but I wouldn't summarily dismiss the idea of getting the wee one.:dontknow:

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the comments.

That what Im struggling with, I dont want Bailey to feel like she is being replaced. She is my #1 one girl. But I have always had more then one dog and Im sure she would love having the puppy around, like R1 said and I have had that happened before, that the older dog especially a female feel like she has a purpose and gives her almost like a second wind.
This is the same breeder that Bailey came from, so I know him and he will always have more pups, just so confused, want to make the right decision.

I think this Saturday, I am goin to take Bailey and the new puppy to a park and see how they get along, either decision I make with the puppy, I think that would be better that they get to know each other on neutral ground rather then bring the puppy home on the first time on Baileys turf.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Red, I think you might want to wait to get the pup. I have to agree with the other comments, Bailey is getting up there and might feel some resentment.

Just my :2cents:

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to dogs, but I did have a similar experience. A former g/f had two Golden Retrievers for several years. One was killed in an accident and she got a new pup shortly thereafter. The older dog seemed to "perk up" and bonded with the puppy. She was very protective and seemed like she had a new purpose in life. Suppose it could go either way, but I wouldn't summarily dismiss the idea of getting the wee one.:dontknow:
+1 It all depends on the older dogs personality. I've replaced several older dogs early. Two bonded well with the pup and the most recent old lady (boxer) who we still have has had trouble bonding - have to block her off by gating the upstairs where she lives basically. It's unfortunate but I don't trust her around the pup, who is now 1 year old.

Consider if your lab is tollerant in general or grumpy/agressive (happens with old age). She's also 16yrs old, which is pretty much a miracle for a big dog.

If you keep the pup, whatever you do don't let it near the older one while feeding ;(

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Doesn't Bailey get along w/ Chester the squirrel? :badteeth:

Tough decision. I think I would wait but depending on how your current dogs personality is it might be a good thing as others have mentioned. I'm sure Bailey finds all the companionship in you she needs. The puppy will need a lot of attention and could make Bailey feel replaced even if that's not your intent.

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't Bailey get along w/ Chester the squirrel? :badteeth:

Tough decision. I think I would wait but depending on how your current dogs personality is it might be a good thing as others have mentioned. I'm sure Bailey finds all the companionship in you she needs. The puppy will need a lot of attention and could make Bailey feel replaced even if that's not your intent.

Yes Bailey get along with Chester the squirrel.:lol:

I dont worry about Bailey hurting the puppy, she has a great personality, very gentle. If anything I think she would be very protective of the puppy. Bailey has seen many human babies come and go here, cause of the line of work Im in, and she has never done anything to hurt them in anyway, and sometimes the things the kids do to her, I think she should.

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Red, I think you might want to wait to get the pup. I have to agree with the other comments, Bailey is getting up there and might feel some resentment.

Just my :2cents:

Good Luck

And thats my biggest fear....she is such a great girl, dont want that in anyway. The only reason Im seriously considering it is cause Bailey grew up with my black lab and is always great at the parks with other dogs, I think she might like having another dog around..... and also that they are so CUTE!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes Bailey get along with Chester the squirrel.:lol:

I dont worry about Bailey hurting the puppy, she has a great personality, very gentle. If anything I think she would be very protective of the puppy. Bailey has seen many human babies come and go here, cause of the line of work Im in, and she has never done anything to hurt them in anyway, and sometimes the things the kids do to her, I think she should.
I have to agree with that statement. And as long as you continue to treat her like she is your #1 girl, you'll have no problems. From my experience, labs in general are very friendly. And they welcome the companionship. They don't like to be alone and usually suffer from separation anxiety. So I think maybe the new pup will help with that. Also, Bailey will help you in the training department for the new pup. The new pup will watch her and learn faster than just you trying to train it on your own. I just recently adopted my own black lab, and my older dog took to her very quick and now they are the best of friends. Potty Training the new pup took probably half the time too!

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to agree with that statement. And as long as you continue to treat her like she is your #1 girl, you'll have no problems. From my experience, labs in general are very friendly. And they welcome the companionship. They don't like to be alone and usually suffer from separation anxiety. So I think maybe the new pup will help with that. Also, Bailey will help you in the training department for the new pup. The new pup will watch her and learn faster than just you trying to train it on your own. I just recently adopted my own black lab, and my older dog took to her very quick and now they are the best of friends. Potty Training the new pup took probably half the time too!

I have to agree with your statement Fish.....I had Bailey for almost 9 years when I had to put Kelly (my black lab) down, she was so depressed and not herself for years, missed her running buddy and always had Kelly to be with she was never alone, we even had to take her to the vet, she would howl and cry whenever we would leave her alone and during the nite, so I really think she would like havin the puppy here . I just couldnt bring myself to get another dog after I had to put Kelly down.

Im not the type to just jump into something, and I have to think long and hard, cause when and if I bring the puppy home, she will be here til the end.

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tomorrow is Saturday, taking Ms Bailey out to see the new puppy and taking them to the park to play and see how they are together.

Keep your fingers crossed it goes well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i have to agree...not for the replacement thing but your dog is very old. It needs peace in it's last years and a puppy can distract they are to much energy and may even hurt your current dog with mind and body. I may be wrong but at that age i will just wait until your dog passes....sorry red...that's what i would do.

Bloo
+1

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Tomorrow is Saturday, taking Ms Bailey out to see the new puppy and taking them to the park to play and see how they are together.

Keep your fingers crossed it goes well.
:mrgreen: Hope things go well RG, let us know how Bailey takes to the pup.......best of luck!!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts