• no

Votes: 16 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm just curious if any of your recruiters told you to lie or to hold back information when you were enlisting in the military. if you want explain how it went down from the begining. thanks

BTW!!! IF YOU TOLD THEM SOMTHING OR HINTED SOMTHING AND THEY TOLD YOU TO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT OR SAY NO CHECK YES.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well, considering it is illegal to " lie " or falsify any information when joining the military i doubt too many people will be forthcoming knowing they could be discharged if anyone ever found out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, considering it is illegal to " lie " or falsify any information when joining the military i doubt too many people will be forthcoming knowing they could be discharged if anyone ever found out.

when i went to M.E.P.S. like 90% of the of the possible recruits said they were told to "lie". i personally my recruiter'S ARE the biggest pieces of shit known...i'm not going to get into it. i just want to know about ya'll. thank's.

btw i respect my recruiters for their services but please if you have no stories about them, don't post please.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

if they voted it would be anonumous of course.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Aside from my recruiter telling me I was "getting in on the ground floor" on a "new weapons system" there was no lying involved. My 11-H MOS turned 11-B pretty quickly. But not before I got to send some HE rounds down range. :cool:

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
of course they lie. I had a good MOS while I was in the army in the 80's. 16s-stinger missiles.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
it is more like bending the truth :lol:. I picked combat support to do tanks and they said i could. Then i got arty as a dam cannon cocker. I have to say I have no pride in being in an artillery unit because of that. I like the truth even if it is fucked up and something i don't want to hear.

As far as M.E.P.S. I didn't tell them shit. That's like giving them an excuse for you not to get in. Did they tell me to lie..... no. but they did say not to bring up anything that was not important for you to bring up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Deff not gonna answer yes or no but, I know a few people who were told to. Not a big deal to me. Some of the shit they ask is Fing ridiculous. Been in going on three years and i love it.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Recruiters are used car salesmen... are they going to tell you about the oil leak, no. Are they going to show you the good radio, yes...

I really REALLY had them drewling, scored a 98 on the ASVAB and wanted to go into nuclear power (they get credit for 2 people for a NUC).

I also went in knowing it wasn't going to be a cush job, alot of school, alot of bull... that's the military. If that's not what you want, don't go it.

6 years navy, last 3 on submarines

but that got me the job I have today, so no complaning. Glad I'm out but glad I got the training and experiance I got.

now carry on

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just got one hell of a bad impression i guess. after being with my recruiter i would just hate to think that everybody else is like this, i feel like i could trust a drug dealer more at this point.

as much as i would like to say my story they have 6 months left before they can retire and both were absolutely physicall and abviously mentally torn up and one was an previous sniper, SF, scout and the other was previous Ranger, cav scout, air assualt.

it really isn't the best idea to try and get them in trouble since they have just about every bit of info about you and with them being so highly trained with soo much to loose:ninja3:

if i was told to hold back info about minor things that wouldn't effect a sc than yah, no big deal. if i'm lied to about about how things work ect... i can deal with that. now if i am threatened that if i give my recruiters up by my recruiters and told that they will come to my families house to hurt them then i get pretty mad.

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
My recruiter didn't mention any big lies....just the usual B.S. about boot camp being the hardest thing, then it's like a regular job.

Marine Infantry School, is no cake walk, makes the humping in boot camp like disneyland. Then in the fleet, theres the winter survival package, mountain warfare, mcrest overnight hump, 12 mile death runs....and the list goes on and on.

Still wouldn't have changed my mind about joining, but depending on your MOS, boot camp may not be the easiest thing.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
i signed up for the marine corps when i was 17 so my parents had to sign for me and my dad is prior army so he knew what to expect from the recruiters and on the "dream sheet" they have you fill out, my mom only let one mos get put on that list and thats the mos i got! 7051 Aircraft Rescue and FireFighting/ Search and Rescue! Did that for 8yrs and while i was in i finished my degree and now i work in a cardiology center fixing people who come to the hospital with a heart attack!

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Yeah, good friend in highschool went Para-rescue in the Air Force. He's currently with the Thunderbirds, not a pilot but he loves every minute of it.

Jumps out of planes and helo's to rescue downed pilots. He can basically do anything. Jumps into water, jungle, snow and ice... tops of mountains, deseart sand... if aircraft can fall on it, he can jump on it and pull the pilots out.

plus he has all the "first responder" and even some advanced medical / life saving training. He has trained with all the "tip of the sword" types, SEAL teams, Spec Ops, MAC-SOG... some pretty eyebrow raising stuff

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I went home on HARP Duty (not sure if that's still around, but back then in the Navy, you could combine leave and 2 weeks of working with your hometown recruiting office) and the recruiter wanted me to lie to a kid he was trying to recruit; he wanted me to tell him that it was better if he enlisted without a specific rate (MOS for some of you) and that later they could pick what they wanted to be. I told him I wouldn't do that, it was the kids life I was messing with and I would not be part of that lie. The kid didn't qualify for much or anything he was interested in so he was trying him to go in as a non-rate (seamen/airmen) and that he could later apply for any rate he wanted; it's not true and it also takes you longer to make rank as a non-rate.

As far as my personal experience, no comment...

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
They only know what you tell them...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I went home on HARP Duty (not sure if that's still around, but back then in the Navy, you could combine leave and 2 weeks of working with your hometown recruiting office) and the recruiter wanted me to lie to a kid he was trying to recruit; he wanted me to tell him that it was better if he enlisted without a specific rate (MOS for some of you) and that later they could pick what they wanted to be. I told him I wouldn't do that, it was the kids life I was messing with and I would not be part of that lie. The kid didn't qualify for much or anything he was interested in so he was trying him to go in as a non-rate (seamen/airmen) and that he could later apply for any rate he wanted; it's not true and it also takes you longer to make rank as a non-rate.

As far as my personal experience, no comment...
I enlisted in '04 (navy) and wasn't told to lie, but that "no" was my best friend down at MEPS. Seems pretty standard as they are the 'weeding out' process and will pounce on any little item that could become a liability, either physical, criminal, or otherwise. I have no doubt that recruiters lie or encourage people to lie, albeit covertly- just not mine.

About HARP duty though, I thought about doing it but decided not to for that very reason above. Obviously now I have a better understanding but everyone's experience is different in the navy or military in general. People with the same rate, going in at the same time can have vastly different impressions, so I wasn't comfortable with going back with no experience of my own to try and hook kids in. The navy worked out great for me but it's not for everybody.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Well when I went to Basic Training there were 2 guys who came in together on the buddy system. by the end of the first week the guy holding on to the other admitted that he was legally blind and the recruiter only got him in to meet his quota.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was told to answer the questions they ask truthfully but if they don't bring something up then I shouldn't offer the information up. I was medically disqualified three times from the Air Force for being upfront about my medical history. When I told them I had my tonsils removed I was DQed, applied for a waiver, got it, stayed in. I told them I got a concussion, DQed, applied for a waiver, got it, stayed in. Told them when I was prescribed antidepressants by my counselor, DQed and told to get the fuck away and never come back. They do NOT want anyone that even smells of depression, don't let anyone tell you they are supportive or accepting of that, it's a lie. Technically, I did the right thing and am one of the only people from my unit that actually followed the honor code but apparently that's punishable as I'm now out of a job. Unfortunately, if it's about mental health I'd have to suggest that you lie.

However, I went to a Navy recruiter with my friend and he told her to lie about absolutely everything and she continued to tell him her history of drug use and injuries - his exact quote: "I'm gonna pretend like I didn't hear that, and you're gonna pretend like none of that ever happened."

·
Registered
108 Posts
They only know what you tell them...
:mrgreen: Indeed....

My honesty made my recruitment substantially longer.... and the position I was going for didn't really leave much room for hiding information.

But, I guess it all worked out ok.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts