Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure if I have a problem or not.. when i was driving in the mechanical seal for the water pump and only hitting the outside lip, i noticed little black chips falling out of the seal. after inspection, the inside and lower plastic of the mechanical seal is a very hard plastic and it started chipping even tho I never touched it. I guess the shock of hitting it down with the socket caused it to vibrate against its inner metal shaft edge. im adding a pic, you can see that chip and there are like 2 more like it.. do I need to order another new seal and start over or is this fine? can I go ahead and install? I inspected the bad seal that I took out and pulled it all apart and I cant see how this will cause an issues but I need to be sure with the experts.

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,697 Posts
Well, that's bizarre. If the seal driver you you used around the outer lip touched the center part, I could see that happening. But if it didn't then that's just strange. I would be sure though that it's not touching it at all in the process of installation. At this point I'd reassemble it and see how it performs. I'd also order a new seal to have on-hand. It will likely be OK, but there's a possibility it could fail prematurely. And it should be replaced if any damage is noted on it like that.

DISCLAIMER: I'm no expert.

PS - The purpose of the oil seal isn't to keep oil out of the cooling system as much as it is to keep the coolant out of the oil/engine. But you probably knew that already. :ayyy:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well I decided to take it all apart. I ordered 2 of everything, and also ordered the seal driver special tool. I am not taking any chances, I want to ride. I don't think I would be comfortable riding knowing I chipped away at the seal and used it anyway. I payed a lot for the bike. I want it right. now is it okay to drive them in with a hammer or do I need to get a big c clamp or put it in a vice and press them in?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I am curious, what prompted you to do this on a two year old bike?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,697 Posts
I am curious, what prompted you to do this on a two year old bike?
There was another thread he did to detail this endeavor. The water pump was leaking fluid from the weep hole, which requires a pump replacement since it's not holding the coolant. This oil seal should be replaced with it at the same time. Hence this thread.

Reactions: obijack

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,697 Posts
well I decided to take it all apart. I ordered 2 of everything, and also ordered the seal driver special tool. I am not taking any chances, I want to ride. I don't think I would be comfortable riding knowing I chipped away at the seal and used it anyway. I payed a lot for the bike. I want it right. now is it okay to drive them in with a hammer or do I need to get a big c clamp or put it in a vice and press them in?
Can't fault you for that thinking! Better safe and right than worrying about it.

If you've got the bearing driver for the actual part, then you're set. You can use a hammer in a pinch for it. If that's all you have, then use it. Just beware that striking it like that can me hard to align it at the start. And don't try to pound it down in one shot. Use a lot of light hits to work it in. Just enough force to get it to move sightly and check it's progress along the way. The best way would be a press though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts