Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 1/5 throttle spacer from Rifleman and tried to install it tonight. It came with no directions but in his PM, it had a link on how to install it. It looked easy so I gave it a try. I took apart the throttle housing and took off the cables and ground the tabs out of the housing…everything was going good.

Next I removed the tank which was a hard because I abused the wiring connector for the fuel pump trying to get it apart. I never could figure out how to take the fuel line loose from the tank though, so I set it on a chair next to the bike still attached.

Next, took off the airbox and thought I was going to break off the sensor in the back trying to twist and wiggle it out of there. It was a tight squeeze, but I got it out without breaking that sensor in the back…at least it did not physically look broke.

So now I have an open shot of everything. I get my laptop out and look over the installation pictures again because things just don’t look as I remembered them. Well, things are totally different. I guess those pics were off an ‘04-’05 and mine is a ’06.

There are only two slack adjusters on my cables and they are both located a few inches from the throttle. The pics show a couple by the radiator and a couple where they go into the throttle bodies, and I assume a couple more by the throttle where mine are located.

Well, I screw mine in all the way to get maximum slack and put the thing back together. Everyting goes together fine, but just as I suspected, the throttle was stiff and needed more adjustment, but I didn’t have any and no where to get any.

So next, I cut the plastic nut off one of the adjusters so I can screw the adjuster in further to get a little more slack. Well, that didn’t work because it bottomed out and wouldn’t screw in all the way.

In a final stand, I get out the hack saw and saw about 3/16 – 1/4 in inch off the threaded housing. I go real slow and saw a ring around it and when I get close, I take some pliers and break the end off so I don’t saw through and cut the cable.

Well, that part goes well, although time consuming. Now I have this ring of threaded tube around the cable that has to come off. It is too short to saw, so I get some dikes and cut through it. While in the process and straining my hardest to cut through the aluminum tubing, I finally break through and the piece falls to the floor.

Now im excited to put it back together and get riding. I get ready to screw the part back together and I noticed the 4-5 strands of the cable are cut and are fraying off. I put it all back together anyway and it was just the right amount cut off to make it work, but I am not going to take a chance putting a frayed cable back in there.

If it comes apart more and jams inside the cable, it could make it bind and cause the throttle to stick. So now I ordered a new throttle cable tonight.

I’m debating on giving it another shot, or else just throwing away the 1/5 conversion and going back stock. I just don’t know any other way to make it work and I don’t want to ruin another cable.

Has anyone did the mod on a ’06 and how did you go about doing it.

Here is the part I am really worried about…the throttle cable hooks on to the throttle bodies at the end on the clutch side and it is smashed tightly against the frame. There looks to be no room to work to replace the cables. I’m hoping the engine will not have to be pulled or I’m in trouble.

If anyone can give me any advise, please do…got the bike in pieces in the garage and want to get on the road ASAP.

Thanks in advance

PS…how do you take the gas line off the tank? Does it remove at the fuel pump or at the throttle bodies?

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
PS…how do you take the gas line off the tank? Does it remove at the fuel pump or at the throttle bodies?[/QUOTE]

You just pop the red clip on either end, not off, just pop it loose, then the line comes right off. Reverse to install.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks...i was going to try that, but didnt feel up to tearing anyting else up tonight.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
After all that, I'd try it again but tape the cable before cutting and maybe try a dremmel? or smaller nips at the barrel.

The elec connector for fuel pump and the air box are a bitch on the 05 too.

Once you've done the box once, and get the twist down, it's pretty easy next time.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ZX10Miami said:
After all that, I'd try it again but tape the cable before cutting and maybe try a dremmel? or smaller nips at the barrel.

The elec connector for fuel pump and the air box are a bitch on the 05 too.

Once you've done the box once, and get the twist down, it's pretty easy next time.
yea, sounds like i need to get a dremel tool and some sort of grinder on there. im sure it will be a tedious process. i will go look at walmart tonight.

yea, i think i have the "twist" down. i just hope i didnt damage that plug at the back of it. it has to smash against the frame hard to come out. no other options but to remove it, but it didnt look very user friendly to take out.

well, since i have the box out and everthing taken apart, i guess im going to order the TRE and Kleen air block off's from Ivan tomorrow...looks like a good time to do it.

i gutted the cat earlier today and it was making a little "popping" afterwards, but thats another story.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Kawasaki makes a 1/6 throttle which gives even more response than the 1/5 conversion. If you don't want the expense of the kawasaki hardware, you could try the kawasaki throttle cables that go with their 1/6 conversion. They are longer than stock and would probably work fine for your 1/5 conversion.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
eveldoerZX10R said:
Ok that sounds like a lot of work for that mod. You just talked me out of it! Thanks.

Naw!.. its really not that bad, It took me probaly 1 hour from start to finish....

Imo, if it took 3 hours, its well worth the 25bucks and your time.. The best mod i've done to my 10 so far....

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
:+1:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
rojapar...the fuel pump plug on 04/05s is really tight. It is held in by 3 tabs and one is on a bracket side and makes it difficult to remove. Since I take my tank off alot I shaved 2 of the 3 tabs to make it easier for tank removal, the plug is so tight it isn't going to come out with one tab:headshake:. Hopefully after a few times with the tank removal you will get it down pat and that wont be an issue anymore. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't know on the 06 but on the 05 you don't have to worry about the air sensor on the box. You can pull it out of the rubber without unplugging it from the wring harness. Don't risk damaging the sensor against the frame.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
bluedevil said:
rojapar...the fuel pump plug on 04/05s is really tight. It is held in by 3 tabs and one is on a bracket side and makes it difficult to remove. Since I take my tank off alot I shaved 2 of the 3 tabs to make it easier for tank removal, the plug is so tight it isn't going to come out with one tab:headshake:. Hopefully after a few times with the tank removal you will get it down pat and that wont be an issue anymore. :thumbsup:

:+1: I followed suit after your advice a while back! One tab will hold it just fine. That plug is a m.f.'er.

·
Registered
329 Posts
1. I can't imagine doing anything mechanical w/o a service manual. Don't be cheap and buy one for future ideas!

2. I realize some of you say it's the best mod you have done...but I have 3k track miles on my bike and have never had or felt a need to change the throttle setting! What gives?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Chas34 said:
1. I can't imagine doing anything mechanical w/o a service manual. Don't be cheap and buy one for future ideas!

2. I realize some of you say it's the best mod you have done...but I have 3k track miles on my bike and have never had or felt a need to change the throttle setting! What gives?
:+1: to the service manual even though it's lacking in some areas.

And as for the 1/5 throttle mod. Just take our word for it and try it. Many of us here, including me, do the majority of our riding on the track and while there's nothing "wrong" with the stock throttle throw. Especially since trackdays aren't for money or points. But with the shorter throw the insert gives, you can go from no throttle to full throttle without adjusting your grip which makes getting out of and into corners easier and smoother.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I love the 1/5th throttle mod. I installed myself and have loved it since. The bad thing is I thought I had adjusted it for enough slack but just got my bike serviced with syncing the throttle bodies and they told me my cable is corroded or something cause I have absolutely 0 slack...2mm at the most. I told the guy, "I like it like that, no slack immediate response" but if it 's bad for the cable I'll order new longer cables soon and get them installed, just trying to figure out how I'll do it when I swap the 636 clip-ons on my bike.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Chas34, sit your bike, grip the throttle normally.... now roll it to WOT. If your elbow isn't pointing at the ground and your wrist twisted up to the point the blood circulation is almost cut off, you are lucky. Most guys need to regrip the throttle to get to WOT and to regrip, you have to let it go for a second.

my 1/5th insert simply gives you the full range of the throttle with out haveing to regrip, yet leaves it long enough that throttle control is not simply an on/off switch.

in most instances it make the bike feel more responsive, more agile, not sure why but "Tight" is also a word that gets used when the insert is installed.

Supraman78, zero slack is not a problem IF, it spring returns to idle and you keep things lubricated. Lube the cables with WD40 or something equivilent and put a dab of grease on the end ball of the cable down at the TB's

Remember those cables run right over the top of that SMOKIN power plant, they get HOT, they get used alot....

of course they need lubrication.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yeah I thought that I had just zero slack and that everything was ok. The guy at the shop said that it was ok, returned to idle fine no high idle sticking, and the bike has only 6K miles with 5.5K of those with the 1/5th mod and only a year old so I didn't think that the cable would be going bad already but oh well, soon enough I'll get another one.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Supraman78 said:
Yeah I thought that I had just zero slack and that everything was ok. The guy at the shop said that it was ok, returned to idle fine no high idle sticking, and the bike has only 6K miles with 5.5K of those with the 1/5th mod and only a year old so I didn't think that the cable would be going bad already but oh well, soon enough I'll get another one.
more likely culprit is moisture. If you get caught in the rain, or must leave it outside, or you wash it enough, you get moisture in the housing, and the weave of the cable acts like a wick... it sucks the moisture in and down the cable... and then is sits right over that power plant and rusts the cables...

I used to loose the clutch cable on my Tuna all the time, got good at making my own, but keep the WD40 on it and should last a good bit longer.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
aahhhh....yeah that's what he said, corrosion due to moisture. I really need to move and get a garage. I'll make sure to WD-40 it. you have to take apart the throttle housin to get to the cable right? and how often?

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
yeah sitting outside in the rain will do it.

twice a year, once in the spring when you get everying out and started and running for the year, and once on the 4th of July.

just take the housing apart and use the little red hose/wand that comes with the WD40. Spritz a little on the end of each cable, and run them in and out a bit. spritz them again. I can do mine on the TL pretty easy, the bottom of the housing holds the cables and I hose it down pretty good, and run the throttle open and closed, open and closed. Spritz it 3 or 4 times, move the cables a bit, clean up the drips, put it all back together.

don't forget the clutch cable (if the 10r has one, or is it a hydrolic clutch?)

they won't last forever, but they will last alot longer.

Supraman78 said:
aahhhh....yeah that's what he said, corrosion due to moisture. I really need to move and get a garage. I'll make sure to WD-40 it. you have to take apart the throttle housin to get to the cable right? and how often?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts