Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I am looking to get a notebook for school. I want to get a dell and I also get a discount from my college with them. I haven't bought a computer in roughly 5 years so some of you guys can help me out. I am looking for something thats fast, big screen, possibly 17", and a lot of memory. I will be mostly using it for papers, ms office, and editing movies that I make on my bike. I am a mechanical designer so I will probally be using autocad or inventor on this thing also. I am looking to try to stay around $1500. Can some of you give me your ideas on what to get and what not to get? Thanks

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
get AMD ya ninny.

and how much money will you save if you buy a dell?

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I've been supporting Dell products for 8 years. I'm a fan. I think you are going to find that every techy guy on the board is going to hit you with their personal preferences. Check as many of your options as possible. Spring for a three year at home warrantee. Three to five years and the technology is out of date unless you are the average user (email, word processing and surfing). If you need the pc for school you don't want to be shipping it out. Get a gig of RAM (more if thinking of going to Vista in the future) and the best video card and processor you can. ...oh damn... i just doubled your budget!! Check Dell's refurbished laptops. Same warrantee as new and sometimes deals can be had. I'd check all the other major suppliers too to compare components, prices, and warrantees.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there are so many choices, if yamaha made a laptop it would be an easier choice

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I got a Dell Inspiron, wide screen 1 Gig of Ram and the Duo processor for under a grand , best laptop I have owned and blinding internet handling and multi-tasking, no complaints.I run CATIA and Autocad on mine no probs.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I run Autocad and produce music. I have a dell. You want at least 2gigs of ram, get the fastest processer that is out right now cause in 6 months it will be outdated. Those programs will take the most power out of the machine. As far as hard drive get a 120 gig or more if you can. There is a little trick that I use so I never really run the computer to hard and if some thing happens you will still have all your files. Go out and buy an external hard drive 120 gig or more. Now only load the programs on your laptop and when ever you save a file save it to your external drive. I have never seen an external drive shit the bed. I'm not saying it can't I just haven't seen it. So you laptop only runs the programs you use and the external holds all your saved files. If your laptop hard drive goes then you just get a new one and only have to load the programs back onto it.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
luckz88 said:
if yamaha made a laptop it would be an easier choice

That's true. Yammi makes good stuff.

I guess Yami will always be my 1st love, even though I have a honda and a Kawi now,

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
If you get the 17" notebook make sure to purchase 9-12 cell battery the 17" drains power quickly, less than 20 min on the 6 cell. I have 3 year old 17" HP pavillion out dated in 6 months lol.

·
Registered
696 Posts
luckz88 said:
Guys I am looking to get a notebook for school. I want to get a dell and I also get a discount from my college with them. I haven't bought a computer in roughly 5 years so some of you guys can help me out. I am looking for something thats fast, big screen, possibly 17", and a lot of memory. I will be mostly using it for papers, ms office, and editing movies that I make on my bike. I am a mechanical designer so I will probally be using autocad or inventor on this thing also. I am looking to try to stay around $1500. Can some of you give me your ideas on what to get and what not to get? Thanks
I recently bought a new Dell laptop. I got the E1505 which they have renamed the 6400

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/nb_entertainment?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs

I love the system so far. I paid $1200 total (tax, shipped, etc) but that was a while ago. Here are a couple of things to keep in mind when choosing-

1) If you plan on travelling around with the laptop or lugging it from classroom to classroom, the 15.4" screen laptops are lighter and, especially over time, far easier to transport around than the 17". I too like the 17" screen but a laptop that big is really more of a desktop system replacement. Since I have a good desktop, the laptop is more for travelling and business.

2) If you like video games, then you can beef up the 6400 (15.4" screen) to a Radeon X1400 or a GeForce Go 7300. I have the X1400 and that seems to run most of my games fine and Dell is pretty good with driver support. However, the 9400 (17" screen) will allow for an Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 to be installed. That is a rockin card and by far the best laptop card for gaming. Do NOT get an Intel video card (default card) and expect to play any games. I would choose either the Nvidia 7300 or 7900 as my first choices and the ATI x1400 as a decent second choice.

As for other specs, get the highest Duo-Core Intel CPU you can afford (the T7400 I believe is top end), put in at least 1 ghz of RAM. Windows Media Center edition is nice for running videos and multimedia apps so I recommend that.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
oz914 said:
Go out and buy an external hard drive 120 gig or more. Now only load the programs on your laptop and when ever you save a file save it to your external drive..
not a bad practice, but better to keep the files on the laptop AND a COPY on the external. redundacy is key for important data. I dish out network shares on my home network residing on mirrorred drives. Fry's has a 4 bank sata hot swappable external box i'm about to pick up. 1.2 Terrabite of storage!! ....down to about 850Gigs after I configure raid 5 but i think that'll be plenty!! ..maybe a bit much for the average joe user though.. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Well, I work for Dell! Dimension desktop plant QAE. But they gave me a D600 about a year ago to use for work, and it's been a good 'un. Any XP OS (Pro, Home, or MCE) runs best with 1GB of RAM, unless you do some serious database or CAD, then go 2+GB of RAM. CPU speed and hard drive size should be budgeted in after your RAM preference (those Core 2 CPUs are fast as shizit, and totally kick some serious AMD arse!). At least a 80GB HDD should do the trick for years to come....

D

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts