Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

decisions, decisions.. 2019 zx10r or 2019 s1000rr

19K views 60 replies 26 participants last post by  tukn20s 
#1 ·
ok, here's the deal. just recently lost my 2012 zx10r in an accident. currently waiting to heal up which will take another 4-6 wks.. i had approx. 124k miles on her which was my daily driver. i know the bmw is a beast, but will it be reliable. through experience i would think the zx would be with the miles i put on her. i also had a 2006 zx6r which had approx. 82k before i sold her. what are your guys thoughts?
i also would think that the bmw will cost more in maintenance, but i am willing to take that on.
thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Any bike is going to last as long as it needs to if you do all the proper maintenance. Except KTM... stay away from the RC8R lmao. Honestly, for a daily, I wouldn't even get a sportbike. I would get like an FZ09, FZ10, and SD, or a Street Triple. If you're bent on a sportbike I won't lie the Gen5's are pretty comfy imo. More comfy than a CBR. Way more comfy than Ducati/Yamaha. I haven't sat on the new GSXR but those are also good bikes now-a-days and probably in the same comfort ballpark. They can make good power too if you go through Brock's who's probably done the most extensive tuning on it.

#8 · (Edited)
BMW will cost more in maintenance? Where did you get this info from? hahahaha Buy the BMW, it is a no brainer. If you are retarded, go buy an outdated overweight platform with the same shitty dash. Brands loyalist are so retarded. Kawasaki won't pay for your funerals if you die tomorrow. Get the M version of the new BMW with carbon fiber wheels.

#9 ·
Yes they are more expensive. You either have to go to the dealer to reset the service light or buy a GS-911.

I heard from a reliable source that the current gen S1K's are going to have a lot of engine failures and the dealer is starting to see evidence of it.

I have an 13 S1K track bike and finding a ecu tuning solution is a pain in the ass. You either have to pay $800+ or risk frying your ecu trying to DIY.

If you were looking for a garage queen weekend warrior bike I would say either would be a great choice. But a bike that will see a lot of miles, I would probably go ZX10 just for the sake of cheaper maintenance and parts.

#11 ·

I regularly ride with a couple of mates on S1000RRs (One 2015 one 2018). We often swap between bikes so I’ve done a good few hours on them on some great roads.

I ‘only’ have a 2014 Gen 4 ZX10, so not the ideal comparison. However, assuming the 2019 models of both bikes are similarly incrementally better, I’d struggle to come up with an argument against an S1000RR being the better bike overall.

I love my ZX10 and for the money I don’t think their is a better option out there. However, those more expensive BMWs have so much more midrange punch it’s untrue, they’re narrower so feel more racey, and turn faster too, at least in my hands. The suspension is perhaps the only area the ZX10 is better on the road, smoother anyway, with slightly better dampening.

Neither of them have had any mechanical issues with them and both are actually on their second bike after other bikes in between.

Maintainence costs are pretty similar across both S1000 and ZX10 in the UK. However, even with tempting deals on run out model S1000RRs there are always cheaper comparable ZX10s whether new or used.

For me the BM is the better overall bike, but not so much better it was worth the extra initial outlay. Ultimately both are great bikes and I’d be over the moon to be riding either. Great decision to have to make!

#23 ·
to paraphrase a friend of mine: BMW engineers are entirely too impressed with their own abilities.

I should say I have limited saddle time on boxer brand b’s but it’s been mixed to say the best.

they’re quirky. You get odd “wtf was that” type stuff that always adds a layer of excitement and wonder as to whether or not you’ll reach your destination.
abs faults. H*ly $hit. A good friend of ours had a 100k+ RT and it ran like a sewing machine. Pretty good ergos and not bad comfort so I rented one in Europe. The ABS went out, total brake loss on Sustenances pass for about 2-3 seconds. doesn’t sound like long but I promise, it felt like an eternity. Then, with my lever and foot peg fully engaged and nothing happening the abs unit “faults” and we suddenly have full manual brakes. We stopped, collected ourselves and proceeded at a slow pace through the rest of the curves, made it to the bottom it happened again at the first stop.

I think it was Hutchy? Who lost electronics coming off the mountain, down by the Creg at the TT a few years back. Now to be fair, a lot more of them are actually finishing the TT and performing well now than the first few years but I’d stay green personally.

#24 · (Edited)
Because nobody ever never had issues with their Kawasaki LOL. Hutchy? We talking a full blown modified sportbike? Coming up with anecdotes like that make me LOL.:crackup: If the BMW S1000RR was such a piece of shit, explain to me the huge followers and crowd of riders out there? :crackup: The bike is way more exciting to ride than the ZX-10r and that is huge value to me. I know a lot of members on here are just old bitter cunts ( The same type of people that like to talk about the weather and dress at Wal-mart and Cotsco.) , the Gen 4-5 ZX-10r fits you well, no personality fat and just plain boring.

Beautiful machinery!

#25 ·
I'll be switching back to BMW as soon as its available here in Thailand. I've had more little issues over the past 1.5yrs racing the zx10rr then 4+yrs on the s1000rr. The BMW is so much easier to diagnose an issue at the track, hook up the GS911 or pull the codes off the race ECU and it'll almost point you directly to where the issue might be, and the electronic manual is so much more descriptive. If it wasn't for all the datalogging I have on the bike and the AFR readout on the dash i would have blown the engine last round because of some bad race fuel.

#28 ·
I had a 2017 S1000RR that had low compression in cylinder 1 after 12K miles and BMW denied the warranty claim saying it was normal wear. I will never consider a BMW vehicle again in my life. I loved my 2018 ZX10R until I blew the engine (100% my fault) but it was a bit wide/fat. I'm on a 2017 GSX-R1000 and it's about the same width as my 675 (which oddly enough had a low compression problem too...Euro bikes - but this didn't develop until after 45K miles).

#30 ·
I bought the gixxer because of the price point - got it a couple of months ago after I cratered my ZX10R's engine and I had to let the broken bones in my foot heal! That said, it's much thinner than the ZX10 and it's splits nicer!

Having spent as much as I did on a bike like the $1000RR and have them deny the claim like that with that few miles while it was still under warranty is essentially claiming they know there bike is shit and not designed to last long; it says all I need to know.

That said, it was a fun, nice looking bike while it lasted.

#39 ·
well, ive decided to jump onto the 2019 zx10r KRT edition. hasn't been released as of today, but should be in the showrooms sometime this month, i hope. already ordering parts for her.

#46 ·
Ok so im about to recieve my new zx10rr 2018 from the deslership (one left fron last year) and im reading only shit about this bike, avery tracktest is the last one, guys who own it just has more drawbacks than good things about her, is fat, slow, underpowered, is the zx10 any good? I got mine for racing, i have been racing my zx6r and it was way faster than any other 600 and i was faster than many 1000 local racers, i hope i wont be disapointed from this bike, i mean, how a that bas bike can be the jbasis of the world champion? I know, heavy mods but come on! Csnt be thwt bad, and i just wanns say, a lot of people here is racing bmws and im not lying i have seen thwt the do have problems, maybe the best bike but not thst reliable, electronic problems and mecanical (engine, tranny) problems, anyway im sure is a great bike, what im not sure now is about the zx10 hahaha i got a ftecu ordered to free al horses to see if it can work for something

#47 ·
The ZX10R is an amazing machine. Since 2011 the ZX10R has been an absolute monster in the hands of experienced riders. Watch this video intro discussing the legacy that is the Gen4/5 ZX10R...
The biggest set-back to these machines is the rider and probably some minor geometry restrictions. I increased my shock length a little and swapped out the suspension and the bike is a completely different animal (in a good way). To me, there's just more dynamics and communication with the road vs riding on stilts like I felt with the stock suspension.

#50 ·
Yeah like Shawn says. The bike appears to be fatter than it actually is. My old Gen2 is the same way in appearance. sure it looks a lil fat and has a few more pounds than a Gen 1 but it's got plenty power for the street.

If you're racing your Gen5 I think you'll be happy just as most others are. I don't think you'll be disappointed and if so, let me know I'll take her off your hands for a ZX-10r.net member discount :crackup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.