Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here's the deal. just recently lost my 2012 zx10r in an accident. currently waiting to heal up which will take another 4-6 wks.. i had approx. 124k miles on her which was my daily driver. i know the bmw is a beast, but will it be reliable. through experience i would think the zx would be with the miles i put on her. i also had a 2006 zx6r which had approx. 82k before i sold her. what are your guys thoughts?
i also would think that the bmw will cost more in maintenance, but i am willing to take that on.
thanks

·
Registered
674 Posts
Any bike is going to last as long as it needs to if you do all the proper maintenance. Except KTM... stay away from the RC8R lmao. Honestly, for a daily, I wouldn't even get a sportbike. I would get like an FZ09, FZ10, and SD, or a Street Triple. If you're bent on a sportbike I won't lie the Gen5's are pretty comfy imo. More comfy than a CBR. Way more comfy than Ducati/Yamaha. I haven't sat on the new GSXR but those are also good bikes now-a-days and probably in the same comfort ballpark. They can make good power too if you go through Brock's who's probably done the most extensive tuning on it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes, about 124,450 if i recall.
Holy Crap! Good on ya, im impressed not only for the zx but you being able to put that many miles on a sport bike. Did you have any engine failures? But to help answer your original post if you're putting that many miles on a bike i would definitely stick with the latest zx10r. I follow all the other bikes and it still seems the 4th gen and up Zx is the only 180+ whp sport bike thats ultra reliable.

·
Registered
201 Posts
ok, here's the deal. just recently lost my 2012 zx10r in an accident. currently waiting to heal up which will take another 4-6 wks.. i had approx. 124k miles on her which was my daily driver. i know the bmw is a beast, but will it be reliable. through experience i would think the zx would be with the miles i put on her. i also had a 2006 zx6r which had approx. 82k before i sold her. what are your guys thoughts?
i also would think that the bmw will cost more in maintenance, but i am willing to take that on.
thanks
I was on the fence as well. I made a spread sheet of the pros and cons and choose the Kawi because of these categories

Performance upgrade support
Aftermarket product choices
Dealer location and friendly atmosphere
Price
Reliability
Brand name

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
BMW will cost more in maintenance? Where did you get this info from? hahahaha Buy the BMW, it is a no brainer. If you are retarded, go buy an outdated overweight platform with the same shitty dash. Brands loyalist are so retarded. Kawasaki won't pay for your funerals if you die tomorrow. Get the M version of the new BMW with carbon fiber wheels.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
BMW will cost more in maintenance? Where did you get this info from? hahahaha Buy the BMW, it is a no brainer. If you are retarded, go buy an outdated overweight platform with the same shitty dash. Brands loyalist are so retarded. Kawasaki won't pay for your funerals if you die tomorrow. Get the M version of the new BMW with carbon fiber wheels.
Yes they are more expensive. You either have to go to the dealer to reset the service light or buy a GS-911.

I heard from a reliable source that the current gen S1K's are going to have a lot of engine failures and the dealer is starting to see evidence of it.

I have an 13 S1K track bike and finding a ecu tuning solution is a pain in the ass. You either have to pay $800+ or risk frying your ecu trying to DIY.

If you were looking for a garage queen weekend warrior bike I would say either would be a great choice. But a bike that will see a lot of miles, I would probably go ZX10 just for the sake of cheaper maintenance and parts.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Yes they are more expensive. You either have to go to the dealer to reset the service light or buy a GS-911.

I heard from a reliable source that the current gen S1K's are going to have a lot of engine failures and the dealer is starting to see evidence of it.

I have an 13 S1K track bike and finding a ecu tuning solution is a pain in the ass. You either have to pay $800+ or risk frying your ecu trying to DIY.

If you were looking for a garage queen weekend warrior bike I would say either would be a great choice. But a bike that will see a lot of miles, I would probably go ZX10 just for the sake of cheaper maintenance and parts.
hahahahahahaha! Because $800 nowadays standard when it comes to ECU tuning is expensive? :crying: There is ton of aftermarket solutions out there. How many people ended up with lemons in their garage because Kawasaki can't honored their warranty? :angryfire: Current Gen will have a lof of engine failure? ahahha I love hearing legit evidences like that. :crackup:
The bike is not event out yet! hahaahahah The current Gen are bulletproof AF and exciting to ride! Welcome to the real world!

·
Registered
7 Posts

I regularly ride with a couple of mates on S1000RRs (One 2015 one 2018). We often swap between bikes so I’ve done a good few hours on them on some great roads.

I ‘only’ have a 2014 Gen 4 ZX10, so not the ideal comparison. However, assuming the 2019 models of both bikes are similarly incrementally better, I’d struggle to come up with an argument against an S1000RR being the better bike overall.

I love my ZX10 and for the money I don’t think their is a better option out there. However, those more expensive BMWs have so much more midrange punch it’s untrue, they’re narrower so feel more racey, and turn faster too, at least in my hands. The suspension is perhaps the only area the ZX10 is better on the road, smoother anyway, with slightly better dampening.

Neither of them have had any mechanical issues with them and both are actually on their second bike after other bikes in between.

Maintainence costs are pretty similar across both S1000 and ZX10 in the UK. However, even with tempting deals on run out model S1000RRs there are always cheaper comparable ZX10s whether new or used.

For me the BM is the better overall bike, but not so much better it was worth the extra initial outlay. Ultimately both are great bikes and I’d be over the moon to be riding either. Great decision to have to make!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
hahahahahahaha! Because $800 nowadays standard when it comes to ECU tuning is expensive? :crying: There is ton of aftermarket solutions out there. How many people ended up with lemons in their garage because Kawasaki can't honored their warranty? :angryfire: Current Gen will have a lof of engine failure? ahahha I love hearing legit evidences like that. :crackup:
The bike is not event out yet! hahaahahah The current Gen are bulletproof AF and exciting to ride! Welcome to the real world!
There is not a "ton of solutions" for tuning out there. There is 2 that are plug and play at $800+. The rest require disassembling the ECU. My ZX10 is $400 to gain access to the ECU and $100 for each additional bike.

Funny you mention warranty, I was involved in a BMW warranty claim where BMW NA denied an clutch output shaft failure because they did a DME report and determined the S1000RR in full street trim with 1" chicken strips was a race bike. We fought for the customer but they wouldn't budge. I've never experienced that with Kawasaki.

I said current gen not next gen. The 17's and 18's will have problems and there has already been a handful of failures at this location alone. Unless you know more than a BMW regional rep, I'll stick with my source.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you want to get 100k out of a beemer, buy a R series with the parallel twin. Those are f-ing bulletproof. I have a beautiful R1200S that can hang with most modern sportbikes when ridden correctly.My slightly less skilled friend on his 1198S isn't even able to get away from me.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
There is not a "ton of solutions" for tuning out there. There is 2 that are plug and play at $800+. The rest require disassembling the ECU. My ZX10 is $400 to gain access to the ECU and $100 for each additional bike.

Funny you mention warranty, I was involved in a BMW warranty claim where BMW NA denied an clutch output shaft failure because they did a DME report and determined the S1000RR in full street trim with 1" chicken strips was a race bike. We fought for the customer but they wouldn't budge. I've never experienced that with Kawasaki.

I said current gen not next gen. The 17's and 18's will have problems and there has already been a handful of failures at this location alone. Unless you know more than a BMW regional rep, I'll stick with my source.
ahahahahah! your source got a crystal ball laying around? They been cooking the bike for years. Stop the madness already. The current S1000rr gens are bulletproofed. Every brands can get mechanical issues, it is just common sense. I had a redundant issue with my clutch with the Kawi. I could not fixed the friggin issue..Dude, if you think that spending $800 to unlock pretty much all the ponies of the bike is much without opening the engine case, I really don't know what to think.:idea::crackup:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
ahahahahah! your source got a crystal ball laying around? They been cooking the bike for years. Stop the madness already. The current S1000rr gens are bulletproofed. Every brands can get mechanical issues, it is just common sense. I had a redundant issue with my clutch with the Kawi. I could not fixed the friggin issue..Dude, if you think that spending $800 to unlock pretty much all the ponies of the bike is much without opening the engine case, I really don't know what to think.:idea::crackup:
Like I said, there's already been a handful of 17-18 S1000RR's with engine failures at this one location alone. BMW even lowered the dealer cost of the engine because the engine repairs were costing more than the bike. This did not happen because of a few warranty claims.

BMW reps have access to warranty stats so I doubt his opinion is from a crystal ball.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anyone see the Aprilia RS660 unveiling? I'll be adding one to my garage for darn sure. I just came off two Aprilias, an RSV4 and an RSVR, and I'd never hesitate to get back on one, and this new lightweight class is getting good.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Like I said, there's already been a handful of 17-18 S1000RR's with engine failures at this one location alone. BMW even lowered the dealer cost of the engine because the engine repairs were costing more than the bike. This did not happen because of a few warranty claims.

BMW reps have access to warranty stats so I doubt his opinion is from a crystal ball.
Engine failure? What is the issue exactly? Interesting then Bun1t!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts