Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the factory look of my bike but I want more power and a bit more sound, below are links to what I was wanting to put on it.
A. because its within my budget
b. because I actually love the look of my bike how it is!

Due to budget restrictions I can't afford a power commander atm but was planning to get one down the line, my question is if I buy this stuff now and install it, will it give me a better sound and a bit more power without adversely affecting the way the engine idles, runs etc.
Or am I better waiting till I have the PC?
I know that my factory ecu is pretty smart and knows how to deal with most things but I wasn't sure if doing these two things would send it out of whack, this is my first FI bike so i'm not totally up with this sort of thing....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360237972700&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360237972700&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I had the baffles on my 10 and loved em, sounds great and gives you a bit more punch. Well worth the cash!! I then added a cat eliminator and pc3 and it really sounded mean. A great way to go if you ask me. I never had a custom tune but the pc smoothed out the throttle bigtime

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
A PC is only a plus you dont NEED one, but the baffles and cat. elim. pipe is a great way to go to get some smooth sound and keep the stock look. Gofer it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thats good to know, its a really cheap way to go imho, this will be the last bike I have with dual exhausts, one costs enough let alone two!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have the A&R baffles in mine and couldn't be happier. I left the cat intact though. Slipon sound, budget price, no power commander required!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I totally disagree. After you do these two mods. Put your bike on a dyno and just see how messed up your fueling really is. Heck just from the factory this bike can use a PC and a nice custom map, if done by the right person!

I did a write-up on this mod. sometime ago which could be found no doubt using the search feature. My fueling was terrible. Curtainly not track worthy, lacking smoothness, and on/off throttle response, and huge changes in A/F ratio.

Also, when doing these two mods. I'd suggest doing the airbox mod. at the same time before mapping. Mapping will be the best money ever spent to gain hp and enjoyment. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm sure it's not perfect. But, if your budget is tight and your butt-dyno isn't so sensitive, it's good enough.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I've had the A&R baffles for 2 years now. I just repacked them and ordered 2 packs for each muffler this time around. The baffles will start to rattle around once the baffling material breaks down over time. Just a heads up to order 2 extra pkgs of packing.
The bike screams and is louder than most slip ons out there. Last week I put on the Delkevic cat delete pipe($125) and the bike got a much noticable deeper tone. No more buzzing inside the helmet. I was surprised how the cat delete pipe took away the high pitch and made it deeper. Pleasantly surprised actually. I ran the bike with the baffles only, no PC or after market air filter, for 3k miles. Than I added race filter,PC and a custom tune and used that time to repack my mufflers and did the 2 pk per can this time. The bike ran flawless with just the baffles and nothing else. I noticed no changes in throttle input aside from a little more lag below 5k rpm. All exhausts loose some low end and this was VERY minimal to say the least. Top end is where the power curve shifted to with the A&R baffles.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have the A&R baffles on my bike with no PC and it runs and sounds great.

Unfortunately, i ordered mine before the baffle plate was available, and also mine had issues with the end caps on the exhausts coming loose. I believe they made a bracket to fix that problem. I ended up having to replace the rivets with bolts. The rivets just didn't have enough meat to attach to.

That all being said, its definitely a great mod. They do sound nice :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've had the A&R baffles for 2 years now. I just repacked them and ordered 2 packs for each muffler this time around. The baffles will start to rattle around once the baffling material breaks down over time. Just a heads up to order 2 extra pkgs of packing.
The bike screams and is louder than most slip ons out there. Last week I put on the Delkevic cat delete pipe($125) and the bike got a much noticable deeper tone. No more buzzing inside the helmet. I was surprised how the cat delete pipe took away the high pitch and made it deeper. Pleasantly surprised actually. I ran the bike with the baffles only, no PC or after market air filter, for 3k miles. Than I added race filter,PC and a custom tune and used that time to repack my mufflers and did the 2 pk per can this time. The bike ran flawless with just the baffles and nothing else. I noticed no changes in throttle input aside from a little more lag below 5k rpm. All exhausts loose some low end and this was VERY minimal to say the least. Top end is where the power curve shifted to with the A&R baffles.
I am waiting on them to come from the U.S, I should have the baffles this week, I am looking forward to it.
Your post has just put my mind at ease, I was hoping somebody who had done the mod had good things to say about it, especially since I have already ordered it.
Where did you get your cat eliminator from, I have found one on ebay but he is a bit pricey on postage, as I am still saving for it I have been shopping round but I can't find one anywhere else......

I understand that I might loose a bit of bottom end but I want it more for the sound than anything, on such a powerful bike I won't complain if I have to sacrifice it to have a better note. I always get teased when I'm with the boys that I have "the sewing machine bike"......or "is it started?" when its obviously started. I tell them that by the time its singing they can't hear it coz I've left em for dead :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok A&R baffles installed!
The mod was easy enough to do and took me about 3 hrs including fairing removal and installation.
Upon first startup the note had changed and was quite deeper, not so much louder, but definetly a lot nicer.
I took it out for a nice run for an hour, it didn't exactly blow my mind but it is an improvement on stock pipes, giving me a smoother power around the 6-7k rpm mark, once I got into it and took it up around 12k the loudness didn't seem to increase like I thought it might but it felt like it had a little bit more power, not very noticeable though. Overall the note is nice and its a bit louder.

Popping on decceleration is now more noticable but it makes the bike sound pretty tough.
I also noticed my throttle response has improved which is nice!

Neverendindmods is right, you should buy extra packing material, I happened to have some laying around. The kit relies on the fact that you can reuse some of your old packing material but mine had seen its day and was good for nothing......

My bike has a k&n airfilter and now this baffle kit and it runs very nice, i would recommend it to the budget concious rider who can't afford nearly a thousand bucks worth of aftermarket pipe. No power commander required!

As for the old baffles they can't really be reused unless you have a welder because you need to cut part of it off to use with the new baffles.....

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Yeah, I got the Delkevic cat delete from Ebay vendor for $125 shipped. You will pay extra not being in the states though. I didn't have to remove the header. I loosened the pc of exhaust pipe after the cat pipe that contains the servo. Had to unbolt the right foot peg, remove the black plastic heat shield, and unblolt the metal exhaust shield which the servo pipe bracket bolts sandwiched between. Not hard to do. Much easier than removing the header.
Man, my bike screams with the A&R baffles. Surprised to hear you say yours isn't that much louder.
Power Commander has maps for the A&R baffles+ air filter. You maybe running quite lean with the addition of the K&N airfilter. May want to pull a plug(outside cylinders are easiest) to see if they are bright white. Plugs should be light tan on the ceramic portion below tip. No offense if you know this already. Wait for the baffle packing to wear in, or wear out abit:lol:, and see if it gets louder over time. My neighbors bitch all the time how loud my bike is. Almost got into a fist fight last summer over it. F-em.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
If you want to save some coin..Just take cat pipe off and beat out the guts of it..Free sound mod..Replace cat pipe..Nothing but yer time and a few beers involved..
As was stated by another that these bikes could use a pc or somethin right off show room floor but remember ANYTIME you change the intake or exhaust some form of compensation will be required..To some degree the bikes stock ecu can handle a lil bit of change cause i think(dont hold me to it)it has a some what of a learning curve ability..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well next mod is either the brembo 19rcs master cylinder or a pc, As much as I would love the brembo, I don't want my bike to run lean so it might be that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts