Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a great weekend at Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon/Skyway/US28 this past weekend. Did a 300 mile loop on roads through NC, GA, and TN on Saturday and it was a blast too.

First time I've ever gotten a chance to open up any motorcycle that much. Also the first time I've ever gotten into any nice curves.

I got a few pics, bought a couple killboy pictures, and took a shitty gopro video of my last descent the morning I left. Sun was shining in my face the whole time and my helmet kept fogging up.

It was a great time, probably one of my top 3 life experiences so far.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Congrats man. Curve are where it is at. If you ever get a chance take a trackday school. They will help you really understand what the 10r can do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats man. Curve are where it is at. If you ever get a chance take a trackday school. They will help you really understand what the 10r can do.
Thanks! I'm going to try to get over to Barber this year and try a track day out!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
That whole area is nothing short of spectacular. And The Dragon is the worst road there! :wink:

I must've just missed you. I was up there myself from Thurs-Sat with Tampamike10r. As you can see in this pic!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That whole area is nothing short of spectacular. And The Dragon is the worst road there! :wink:

I must've just missed you. I was up there myself from Thurs-Sat with Tampamike10r. As you can see in this pic!
Man I wish I'd known. I was up there thurs-sun. Got in late Thursday, it rained friday morning but I got out to the store there around 11:30, rode up about 2-3, came down and headed back.

I enjoyed all the other roads more than the Dragon too honestly. US28 was the shit!

We stayed out at the Tuskeegee Motel a little ways out from the gap.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Man I wish I'd known. I was up there thurs-sun. Got in late Thursday, it rained friday morning but I got out to the store there around 11:30, rode up about 2-3, came down and headed back.

I enjoyed all the other roads more than the Dragon too honestly. US28 was the shit!

We stayed out at the Tuskeegee Motel a little ways out from the gap.
My group rents a cabin in Hayesville/Murphy area. It's about an hour up the the Dragon from there. US129 down along the river is a better run, most like US28. Great ride up to the Gap out of Robbinsville. But we were only up that way on Thursday. Did 330 miles that day before the rain on Friday. We went south from there on Saturday and did Blood Mountain, Richard Russell, 75 out of Helen, 180, etc. Good times!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Damn I gotta go there. Definitely on my bucket list. My parents went earlier this year but it rained on them the whole time they were there so they didn't get to ride the bikes.

·
Registered
578 Posts
we were there just before you guys april 16-20th. had sunny, 75-80 degree days no R word at all for 5 days of riding. the dragon is the draw BUT, there are ALOT better roads if you are willing to put the time in, to link and loop them. we averaged over 200 miles each day, all while I was suffering from a cold/flu that I started getting while trailering down from Michigan (still sick now). we will be back in sept around labor day, for the women's sportbike rally. :D we try to get there 2-3 time a season. some day we need to get a forum ride together. Ski

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
lots of great rides there fo sho. one of my all time favorites is the cherohala skyway. not as twisty as the dragon, but just a magical stretch of tarmac.

and if you get the chance to ride barber, take it. it typically costs more than any other track day in the southeast, but its worth it. barber is (by far) my favorite track that ive ever ridden on. although i dont recommend it in late summer. when i was there in july two season ago, the track temp was ~140º...was like riding in an oven.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That area is one of the best riding experiences I've ever had, and I've had a lot. I've been there 7 times in 10 years, and its a 15 hour drive just to get there!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts