Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, just wanted to let everyone know that my wife and I are headed down to Deal's Gap this week. We're leaving on Wednesday, so will be there Thursday late morning and staying to the following Friday.

I am in the middle of changing jobs and decided to take a couple of weeks in between. My wife has managed to get some time from work as well. We'll be trailering the bikes down there.

Pray for good weather for us! Anyone else going to be there? I'll post some pictures when we get back.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just returned from Deals Gap!!!! :thumbsup:

Wife Heather and I were down there for about a week. We trailered the bikes down from CT - what a long friggin' trip! The poor old Explorer wasn't liking the load it was pulling.

Had a great time down there. Tail of the Dragon is unbelievable! You cannot imagine this road until you ride it! We had Rick of Lone Wolf video our ride one day. If any of you have been down there or are going down there, say hello to Rick. This is one guy who absolutely rips on a bright yellow Gold Wing.

I can't say that we were as blazingly fast as some of the locals. We did have a great time learning the road and railing through the corners and did not have to make any contributions to the Tree of Shame. The only casulty was my front fender which developed a crack for some unknown reason. Anyone got a Titanium front fender hanging around? :lol:

We stayed at a little place in Robbinsville but had several lunches and fill-ups at the Deals Gap resort. What a cool bunch of people. In fact, just about everyone we met down in the South was friendly. We also rode the Cherohala Skyway and Route 28 south from the Gap. I don't think there is a straight road in that area. Everywhere you go - up mountains, down mountains, 15-20 mph turns. Crazy! :eyecrazy:

I recommend to everyone that if you haven't been, GO! You will not be disappointed by the riding. Over 900 miles (one way - we put about 2400 miles on the truck during this trip), and I would pack up and go again in a heartbeat. :mrgreen: I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Glad to hear you had a good time!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. The roads down there are crazy. Tail of the Dragon - 318 curves in 11 miles. It's like a roller coaster ride - only you control the speed and can fall off the track! One section has alternating 90 degree lefts and rights all spaced about the same distance - about five of each stacked together. It's easy to get into a nice groove through these, and it almost makes me dizzy. Crazy. I will post some pics soon. I promise!:badteeth:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hey zx10r_guy,

I'm heading down myself in September...and driving down like you, with my bike in a van instead of a trailer. I'll be coming down right through CT on my way...can you tell me what route you took?

Once I get through Maine and NH, I hope to bypass Boston and miss all that mess on I-95 through there. I was planning in taking the 78 accross from NJ into PA, then 81 south all the way. If you have any tips (or fastest, least traffic) suggestions between CT and PA I'd love to hear it.

Glad ya had a good time, I can't wait to get my ass down there.

·
Registered
525 Posts
By the way, is there anybody usually at the gap taking action pics?

I talked to a couple of the photographers at Palomar when I was there and got some nice action shots of myself....for a price of course....lol.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rembrant said:
Hey zx10r_guy,

I'm heading down myself in September...and driving down like you, with my bike in a van instead of a trailer. I'll be coming down right through CT on my way...can you tell me what route you took?

Once I get through Maine and NH, I hope to bypass Boston and miss all that mess on I-95 through there. I was planning in taking the 78 accross from NJ into PA, then 81 south all the way. If you have any tips (or fastest, least traffic) suggestions between CT and PA I'd love to hear it.

Glad ya had a good time, I can't wait to get my ass down there.
Hey Rembrant, I haven't looked at an atlas to see how far east N.S. is, but my wife and I go up to Lake Winnepesaukee in New Hampshire a few times each summer. We avoid central MA (Worchester) by taking route 91 from CT up to Northfield MA, then taking Route 10 to Route 9 headed toward Keene NH (10 and 9 are decent secondary roads). This may help you head south and avoid the eastern/central MA traffic and highways.

As far as getting south, we just headed down 95 (taking 295/195/695 in New Jersey to either avoid the traffic or high tolls). Get yourself an atlas and you'll be able to see which are toll roads - we spent about $30 in tolls on the way down (New Jersey was the worst). From 95 we made our way over to 81. We stayed in Robbinsville (Rt 129 just south of Deals Gap) and ended up going from 81 to 41 east and then a bunch of side roads over the mountain to Robbinsville. These roads were steep and narrow and took a toll on our Explorer in regards to transmission and brakes. Everything came out okay, it was just dicey for a while. For the trip home, we headed south on 129 to Andrews and made our way west and north to 40 - which brought us to Rt 411 (the north end of Deals Gap) and back to 80. It was a longer trip, but much easier on the truck (we have a heavy 6'x12' utility trailer with my zx10 and wife's zx9 plus all our gear).

I'll look over the maps that we printed and let you know of any changes to this post. Let me know when you're headed through if you need a place to stay in CT. You'll have a blast once you get there!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rembrant said:
By the way, is there anybody usually at the gap taking action pics?

I talked to a couple of the photographers at Palomar when I was there and got some nice action shots of myself....for a price of course....lol.
Three: Killboy, Zeefoto, and Moonshine.
http://killboy.com
http://zeefoto.com/index.html
http://moonshinephoto.com/dealsgap.html

Also, check out Rick http://www.yellowwolfvideos.com/ who can do a video of your run up or down the Dragon. I can't say enough about what a great guy Rick is. We had ridden the Dragon about 8 times on this trip and my wife, Heather, spooked herself at one point. I wanted to do one more up and back and have Rick video us. Rick really helped to put Heather at ease and she ended up doing her best run of the week! The video that we took home with us is great - we'll definitely be watchinig it over the winter while the bikes are in hibernation. :badteeth:

Feel free to PM me with any questions about this area. I can help you out with a couple of local loops, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts