Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me, my girlfriend and another couple who both ride are hitting Deal's Gap this weekend.

Who else is going? We should all get together at the end of the day and have a beer or three.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I will be hitting the gap early in the morn, it will be too crowded and too much bacon for my taste!

I was there last year for Mem Wkend around 2pm - It took me like 20 mins to get through - what a waste!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
have fun with the cops up there
:eyecrazy: To many rubberneckers on mem weekend:eyecrazy:
Best of Luck to you!and remember 50+ mph = :pale: :spankbw: impoundment!
Wed is the best day to go Gappin! from 8am-3pm there is very seldom anyone up there which makes for alot funner and safer riding!:eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
Me, my girlfriend and another couple who both ride are hitting Deal's Gap this weekend.

Who else is going? We should all get together at the end of the day and have a beer or three.
We should be arriving Sunday, May 27th, in the afternoon or evening. We'll start riding on Monday. We probably won't hit the dragon's tail till Tuesday though. Too crowded. We'll be there for a week, so I'll be okay waiting a few days until we hit the dragon's tail and cherohala.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We should be arriving Sunday, May 27th, in the afternoon or evening. We'll start riding on Monday. We probably won't hit the dragon's tail till Tuesday though. Too crowded. We'll be there for a week, so I'll be okay waiting a few days until we hit the dragon's tail and cherohala.
If you see a Ti10ium with a GA plate that says "WICKED" flag me down...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have fun and be safe :thumbsup:

This is from the Tail of the Dragon web site (http://www.tailofthedragon.com/index.html)

WARNING MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND - There will be increased enforcement on area roads for the holiday weekend. North Carolina will have extra Sheriff and Highway Patrol units on all roads, especially along US 129 where the rafting is taking place. We highly recommend that you reduce speeds in this area to avoid any problems with slower traffic or bystanders watching the rafting. For those of you who haven't seen the kayakers and rafters it is quite a show. SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY THE WEEKEND

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
If you see a Ti10ium with a GA plate that says "WICKED" flag me down...
Where are you staying? We'll be on the north side of Robbinsville off of Old Hwy 129. And I won't be pushing it too hard. I just graduated from a 636 so I'm still getting the feel of it.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My girlfriend is new to sportbikes so we won't be riding hard either...not to mention that I really like my bike and would hate to have to turn it over to the LEOs up there...AND the fact that not only will there be a lot of bikes up there but a lot of squids as well. We're staying at the Two Wheel Inn http://www.twowheelinn.com/ , how 'bout you?
Where are you staying? We'll be on the north side of Robbinsville off of Old Hwy 129. And I won't be pushing it too hard. I just graduated from a 636 so I'm still getting the feel of it.

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
My girlfriend is new to sportbikes so we won't be riding hard either...not to mention that I really like my bike and would hate to have to turn it over to the LEOs up there...AND the fact that not only will there be a lot of bikes up there but a lot of squids as well. We're staying at the Two Wheel Inn http://www.twowheelinn.com/ , how 'bout you?
The first time we went in April 2005 we stayed at the Two Wheel Inn. They didn't even have the hotels finished then, so we stayed in the apartment above the garage. Barry and Linda, the owners, are really nice people. We called them too late this year and they didn't have a room available. We're staying at www.stewartrentals.com, which is probably 10 minutes north of you guys. Only problem is that there are no phones in the cabin and no internet. I'll keep an eye out for a titanium 10R. I'll be on an '06 black 10R and my friend will be on an '04 black 10R.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I went yesterday. Got a hotel in Bryson City (45 minutes away) and stayed up at the Gap from lunchtime until dark.
I got a new set of Michelins mounted Wednesday. It was in the 70s/80s all day Thursday and the pavement was hot and clean. I made several passes through, no problems, not a lot of traffic, not a lot of foolishness going on. I'm glad I went when I did........... this morning on my way back I saw LOTS of bikes coming down 74 headed to the Gap.

If you have never ridden a first generation ZX-10R with a 16t front sprocket and a fresh set of Pilot Powers through Deal's Gap on an 80 degree day.....let me tell you, it's PURE FN MAGIC.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went up but decided to forego the circus on the TOTD. We hit a bunch of the back roads and spent a fair amount of time on the Cherohala Skyway. Was my first ride on the Skyway and what a blast...almost zero traffic (and no squids)...only saw one LEO...and some of the best high speed sweepers I've ridden to date.

And I have to give 2 thumbs up to the Two Wheel Inn. It's a simple place...a couple of one story buildings built in front of the owners' house. The rooms were very clean. DirecTv with all the gearhead and movie channels unlocked. But the thing that amazed me (I didn't know this before arriving because my g/f made the reservations) was that each room had its own little garage next to it big enough to easily hold my 10 and my g/f's CBR600...the damned thing even had a motorized garage door with a key pad in the room. And inside the garage, they provide you with clean rags for your bike. They definitely know their target demographic. The couple that own the place are down to earth and nice as can be. If you're going to be in the area, I HIGHLY recommend this place.

Hope everyone had a great and safe holiday.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I went up mon evening and to my surprise, there were no po po's on the gap!
We stayed up there until late in the evening,And after that,a LATE night ride across the skyway. The Skyway is Awesome at night,only problem is there are never any cars up there late at night so be careful not to let disaster strike!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Me and the wife made a pass through Sunday around lunch. Saw an orange 2nd generation 10 at the gas pumps with a zx10r.net wristband on the brake resevior. Hung out for a few minutes but nobody walked up to the bike. We didn't stay long. Saw a couple bad looking wrecks. The first was a guy on a cruiser that went into the bank. Cops had lane blocked and the guy was still laying in the ditch not moving. 2nd one was somebody went off the mountian. The ambulance had just gotten there and had a lane blocked. Meet the ambulance heading to the first wreck on the wrong side of the road in a blind corner. Not a good thing to see. Hope both riders were ok though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts