Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me story and I don't believe it. They said....

The dealership said if you have your ECU flashed on your own, it voids your warranty. But not if we do it.

Anyone EVER hear that????

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm sure there are some dealers that can do it...but don't see how Kawasaki would stand behind the dealers flash any more then anyone else's. Its not a Kawasaki made flash so I doubt they would stand behind it, but maybe the dealer itself would.

But to answer the question...no never heard of it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm not buying either. Asamatter of fact, when I was having issues with my gen 4, the dude from the dealership told me, "Uh, I'd take the flashed ECU out before you bring it in as Kawi would likely not cover the cost of certain warranty claims". I imagine it could void the warranty, and because of that I try to have my bike as stock as possible if it has to go in for warranty work.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I definitely don't buy that.
Me either....but sounds like your dealer is saying heah if something goes wrong we will bat for you to cover your warranty.

....but In real life I don't think most dealers will know the difference when something goes wrong if an ECU was flashed or not....It's not like there is a seal on the ECU that says if this seal is broken you Void Warranty. :wink:

Bloo

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If there's a big claim, like an engine blew up, they may send a Kawasaki rep to check the bike out. For the small stuff you'll be fine.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
If there's a big claim, like an engine blew up, they may send a Kawasaki rep to check the bike out. For the small stuff you'll be fine.
yeah right and how will that Rep know the difference in ECU Map s? No Rep is going to show up this is not the Military or some conspiracy Government at least so far your Warranty will Hold most likely. :wink:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
yeah right and how will that Rep know the difference in ECU Map s? No Rep is going to show up this is not the Military or some conspiracy Government at least so far your Warranty will Hold most likely. :wink:
Dealerships, at least ones in the big cities, have factory reps come by at least once a month. If there's a large claim, yes they will check to see if the ecu has been flashed. It depends on your dealer and rep on how lenient there are in regards to modifications.

Big dealerships have thousands of dollars of warranty claims every month, so it's beneficial to have regional reps overseeing them. If not, it would be a free for all.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Only thing I'd be concerned with is if your reflasher install's a sticker on the ECU, saying what mods were done. Would probably be a good idea to remove that before taking the bike in.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I kept my OE ECU unflashed, pulled it from the bike after break in and bought an Archer Flashed ECU, whenever I take my bike to the dealership I swap the ECU's
This is what I did with my car.

When the differential broke in half, they checked my ECU to see if it had a tune. They told me it was a good thing I didn't flash it because they would have found it. Meanwhile my ECU tuned for 24 lbs of boost was at home. :wink::lol:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Unfortunately with my car I don't have a spare ECU, but I do have my ECU flashed back to stock spec when warranty work is required, which cost about $150. Considering my last warranty claim was for 6K to replace a module in the S-Tronic transmission, I would say it is worth it to play smart and keep your modded ECU's hidden

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
This is why I have 2 ecu's =]
yeah but if you flashed an ECU it means most likely you have other parts on the bike that voids warranty :badteeth:

Like I said before unlikely unless you have some sort of Sticker on your ECU that screams hey look at me I flashed my ECU......otherwise never heard of anyone on this forum getting turned down for a flashed ECU, maybe Bun1t has heard of such a thing :dontknow:.....I guess there has to be a first though but not buying it for a dollar. :headshake:

Bloo

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
If you look in the GTPP documentation, it plainly states that a warranty can be void by anything that alters the looks or performance of the bike and is not approved by Kawasaki in writing. It also states that it can be void if maintenance is not performed correctly by a knowledgeable individual.

That being said, techs aren't going to randomly go around and peek inside your ECU without reason. If you brought your bike in for say a 1000 mile service, no reason, no worry. If you brought it in for a say a blown motor, then yeah, you'd either want to swap it out or have the individual who flashed it, flash it back to stock. I've had mine in for both recalls, I'm still in warranty.

Most dealerships don't have the equipment to read out the ECU and those that do, have to forward that information on to higher ups elsewhere. Along those lines, and mentioned previously, if they have reason to believe it's been flashed, like a label or etching, that will cause them to look into it deeper. That is why I do my labels with paper labels and a layer of wrapping tape over them and do not etch the ECU like others. The tape protects the paper labels that are easily removed and there is no etching on the case of the ECU. Less conspicuous.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
If you look in the GTPP documentation, it plainly states that a warranty can be void by anything that alters the looks or performance of the bike and is not approved by Kawasaki in writing. It also states that it can be void if maintenance is not performed correctly by a knowledgeable individual.

That being said, techs aren't going to randomly go around and peek inside your ECU without reason. If you brought your bike in for say a 1000 mile service, no reason, no worry. If you brought it in for a say a blown motor, then yeah, you'd either want to swap it out or have the individual who flashed it, flash it back to stock. I've had mine in for both recalls, I'm still in warranty.

Most dealerships don't have the equipment to read out the ECU and those that do, have to forward that information on to higher ups elsewhere. Along those lines, and mentioned previously, if they have reason to believe it's been flashed, like a label or etching, that will cause them to look into it deeper. That is why I do my labels with paper labels and a layer of wrapping tape over them and do not etch the ECU like others. The tape protects the paper labels that are easily removed and there is no etching on the case of the ECU. Less conspicuous.
\

A lot of Talk for basically the same thing most agree about....don't WORRY. :wink:

Bloo

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
\

A lot of Talk for basically the same thing most agree about....don't WORRY. :wink:

Bloo
Truth. Sorry, I have a hard time not elaborating. Been dealing with morons for far too long in real life so it's now habbit to drag out and over simplify things.

Makes you wonder though... if you fill an ECU with nothing but all of the same identical values as found on the European bikes, and they try denying your warranty if you have a foot to stand on.

I mean they're the 100% same values as found in the European bikes from the Kawasaki factory... so if its good enough for the European bikes then shouldn't all the European bikes have their warranties voided when they leave the factory? :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts