Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago my instrument cluster started acting up, the tach, temp, speed started bouncing around and the front turn signals quit. Eventually the whole cluster quit except for the neutral light, oil light and FI light. Took it to the dealer who ordered a new cluster under warranty and installed it today with no difference. Put the old cluster on a new bike on the show room floor and it didn't work there either. I'm guessing the ECU or which ever box sends signals to the instrument cluster. Has anyone else had an issue with the cluster? Any ideas from those that are smarter than the dealer? The dealer is ordering an adapter so they can test the cluster. More waiting and riding with no idea how fast i'm going. :dontknow:

·
Registered
342 Posts
When I first bought my 10, the guy I bought it from had problems out of the tach cluster, but couldn't figure out what was wrong w/ it... He used to tap on it, and said it "comes and goes"... That not being enough of an answer for me, after getting him to knock another $400 off the price, because of that "comes and goes" explanation, I stripped her down, only to find that this fool barely had the tach connected... the cables on the left side fairing were LOOSE AS HELL... I put them back together snug, and haven't had a problem since...

when he sold me the bike, it only had 1987 on the mileage, but i fear it may be more, as there's no telling how long that tach was disconnected... so far so good though, the bike runs like a charm...

i thought about disconnecting the tach again, just to keep the mileage low... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no, just kidding, but NOW i see how some ppl be having bikes for 6 years, with only 3K miles on them...

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
seeing ya got the extra 400 clams....Yer buyin the next round!!!!!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
WEll seeing as how the odometer is not driven by the tach but by the speedometer then I doubt you lost or gained any miles...

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
ZX10man said:
A couple of weeks ago my instrument cluster started acting up, the tach, temp, speed started bouncing around and the front turn signals quit. Eventually the whole cluster quit except for the neutral light, oil light and FI light. Took it to the dealer who ordered a new cluster under warranty and installed it today with no difference. Put the old cluster on a new bike on the show room floor and it didn't work there either. I'm guessing the ECU or which ever box sends signals to the instrument cluster. Has anyone else had an issue with the cluster? Any ideas from those that are smarter than the dealer? The dealer is ordering an adapter so they can test the cluster. More waiting and riding with no idea how fast i'm going. :dontknow:
I have to say this doesn't sound good.:headshake:...think about it...you took your old cluster and installed it on a new bike and it didn't work. That means your old cluster is toast. Then you get a new cluster and install it on your bike and it is toast. To bad you didn't install the new cluster on the new bike before you did on your own bike:sad:........now, what it looks like is you have a situation that is destroying clusters...not good at $400 a pop...the only good news is that your dealer ordered the wireing harness to test..how good they will is another story but the bad news is you never took the New replacement cluster to make sure it's good on the dealer bike. I hate to say it but it looks like you have a short somewhere that is distroying Instrument clusters..they can't be repaired..only replaced.:badteeth: So, at this point I would look at a short in the wireing harness going to the Cluster.:badteeth:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, it seems like a short somewhere. Fortunately, it's under warranty and it Kawi's $400 clusters that are being replaced, not mine.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
ZX10man said:
I agree, it seems like a short somewhere. Fortunately, it's under warranty and it Kawi's $400 clusters that are being replaced, not mine.
yeah, that's the problem but you did ask for this:

ZX10man said:
Has anyone else had an issue with the cluster? Any ideas from those that are smarter than the dealer? The dealer is ordering an adapter so they can test the cluster. More waiting and riding with no idea how fast i'm going.:dontknow:
So when dealing with High priced items like a cluster you are at the mercy of the dealer and Kawi, as you know now no matter what anyone says from this forum....your cluster was toast...your bike now has to go through the process of warranty for replacement. :badteeth:

but the good news is they are trying to solve the problem at no expense to you other than down time...hope they get it fixed soon....good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
256 Posts
had the same problem....i freaked out only to check the fuses and the "ig" or something fuse kept on blowing...i changed it the last time and havent had a problem out of it since...obviously thats not the problem if the dealer has ordered a new cluster...but just throwing the idea out there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts