Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
long time no post lol...I do still lurk around often though....
so, was riding my bike on the freeway a while ago, and we'll just say I was going very fast...
got off, downshifted, and immediately knew I had fouled at least 1 plug possibly two by the way it sounded. got down to the bottom of the ramp and bike died. tried starting a couple times, it would crank, but then it just kinda stopped would click a few times like a dead battery, then reset...
so, bike came home on a trailer, and life happened and she just sat on the stand for a couple months...finally decided to dig into her tonight, and it seems that the fuel pump is priming the correct amount, but the starter solenoid is definitely dead, just clicks loudly and I felt it while I was trying to crank. I also had a dead battery but I had a friend bring his battery over and hook it up that's how I attempted to start it...
so......could bad plugs and a shitty battery and a toasted starter solenoid cause the bike to shut down after a high speed run?
I definitely need a starter relay solenoid and a battery...I had replaced 2 plugs last summer, but, I also had 2 original plugs in the bike...bike has 15k miles...
I have not checked the rectifier but it's oem, and the stator has not been checked yet but it's 3 years old and it's a Rick's stator.
oh and one more thing, the battery was a 4 year old $40 eBay battery...
thoughts or suggestions where to start?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
where's skydork when you need some advice or insight...well, I'll just start with the two things that I know are dead, battery and starter relay...

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Could bad plugs shut the engine down? It's a possibility, but plugs don't fail in pairs. I would pull the plugs and look at them, all 4, and compare them to each other, fairly easy to do on a gen2. https://youtu.be/l6NTzoD_gwA Look at their color and make sure they don't have any oil, post pics if you're not sure. Plugs can tell a lot about engine's condition.

While you're having spark plugs out, you can test ignition coils https://youtu.be/x-4gJHeLdBg, easy to do with an ohm meter.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Could a bad battery shut the engine down? Well battery is used to store electricity and is used for starting of the engine, but if the battery has a short it could potentially shut the engine down, because internal combustion engines need electricity to power sensors/ecu/ignition coils.........................etc.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Starter solenoid will not cause the engine to shut down.....................its job to provide electricity to the starter, it's nothing but a relay. Solenoid clicks when the battery is in poor shape, or bad connections. But it's hard to diagnose the problem when you have multiple failed components.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The bike could shut down if it lost electricity, aka bad charging system+ old battery.

I would start fixing "simple" things first. Take the battery out...................completely out, put it on a charger and then take it to a parts store to get it tested. If it's bad, replace it.

If the bike still doesn't start, meaning it won't turn over, then look for a starter solenoid and check wiring harness for burned wires/bad connections.

If the bike starts, check stator and regulator, make sure you're getting around 14v at the battery when the bike is running. If you're only getting 12.5v with the bike running, your charging system isn't working and I would look into that.

If the bike is running, and you have 14v at the battery, meaning charging system is working, then pull the plugs out, look at them, test the ignition coils, look in the previous post for a testing procedure.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
If everything checks out, you can do a compression test to make sure engine doesn't have internal issues.

If it's a 2006 model, it could also have cracked retainers, you'd have to pull the cams out to see if they are. https://youtu.be/plnlBhRuwUI If they are damaged, you'd probably need to pull the head and have them replaced, it could be done with the head on the engine, but it's easier with the head off the engine.

I wouldn't think injectors would go bad like that, but you could check them with an ohm meter without pulling them out, they should have around 12ohm resistance or so, you'd have to look specs up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts