Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went away for 4 days, the bike has been parked for 5, and my battery is dead. It may be a dumb question but how do I change it on this bike? It's not set up the same as my other two and I refuse to pay the dealership to put it in. Thanks

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I just went away for 4 days, the bike has been parked for 5, and my battery is dead. It may be a dumb question but how do I change it on this bike? It's not set up the same as my other two and I refuse to pay the dealership to put it in. Thanks
take off your two side middle fairings (right and left). these are the two triangle shaped pieces directly under your seat

take off your seat

battery is under your seat i think

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
:+1:
what he said ^

easy change out...you'll need like a 10mm wrench or socket to take the battery posts off.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Why replace it, give it a slow charge like on a 1.5-2 amp setting to see if it will still hold a charge. My buddy left his key on for a few days and completely killed his battery but gave it a slow charge overnight and it came back to life and is still holding a charge.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I was at a bike shop to buy a battery for $140 and the shop guy said buy a quick charger for $35 first. The quick charger worked and its been 6 months on the same battery.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah a trickle charger is a good investment man i always hook mine up when i bring her into my garage/livingroom because im usually too lazy to bring it all the way out of my apt for a while

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had it quick charged at the dealership 2 weeks ago for $39 when the battery died and stranded me on the roadside. Luckily I have insurance with free towing. They couldn't find anything wrong but said the battery might have a dead cell or something and if it happened again I should just replace it. It sat for the 5 days and I had the key with me so nothing was on and now it's dead again. I called for a price and it's $94 for the battery so I't just gonna get it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help! I have the sides and seat off now. I'll just do the rest tomorrow when I pick up the new one.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so got a new battery and I have it slw charging. Is it ok to quick charge it or should I just let it slow charge over night?

·
Registered
524 Posts
New batt, slow charge not over 2 amps, preferably lower. I wouldn't leave it on all night unless you have a trickle charger around .5amps. :thumbsup:

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
When you put the new battery in, throw on a pigtail and run in back so it sits under your pillion/cowl. This way, if you ever need to "tender" your battery, it will be easy access...no more removing the side panels, seat, etc.

Hope it all works out!

·
Registered
664 Posts
When you put the new battery in, throw on a pigtail and run in back so it sits under your pillion/cowl. This way, if you ever need to "tender" your battery, it will be easy access...no more removing the side panels, seat, etc.
Great suggestion. I've got convenient pigtails on most of my batteries so it's easy to plug a Battery Tender in whenever I want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts