Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is my track bike which ran fine and stood for like 4 months before I decided to convert it to street again.

When I was just about finished with all the fairings and stock stuff I decided to fire it up. Well.. Not even a fart!

Used carb cleaner down the TBs, nothing. Fuel pump comes on as normal.

Removed all Bazzaz Zfi stuff thinking something was up with it, same.

Before removing the Bazzaz I noticed there was no rpm info when cranking?? Do they all do that? Dunno

The only change that was made from track to street was the QS that went to my Gen4 and fairings, horn, lights, mirrors..

Went to diag mode, exhaust servo and 2nd flies showing up. Put those back on, zero faults now.

I know cam sensors go on these bikes but it would throw a code right? same for crank sensor?

Who can shed some light on this as I've exhausted pretty much every possibility??

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks man, but I've plugged and unplugged that sucker so many times same goes for the cam sensor.

Also should be noted that these sensors don't show up as faults if I disconnect them and try to start the bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I noticed the headlights stay on after I try to start the bike and depress the start button, is that normal? Could the relay box be defective and not powering the ecu?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Today I noticed the headlights stay on after I try to start the bike and depress the start button, is that normal? Could the relay box be defective and not powering the ecu?
The lights relay is latched on from the start button being pressed. Seems like crank position or cam position. If the ECU thinks the TPS is high/wide open, it won't start.

·
Registered
244 Posts
run into this kind of problem several times on zx10's. appears all at once. always ben the common ground/common positive boxes taped up in wiring harness. two square boxes located in area next to main harness/fuel pump connectors. corossion/burnt wire the common problem.. have to pry apart to check. try twisting/moving the wires in the main harness around these boxes with switch on and watch for any changes. where i would go first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok the ECU is getting power and ground.

I also checked that both sensors are producing voltage and resistance is within spec.
what's really puzzling to me, is the fact that Bazzaz cannot get an effective signal from the crank sensor so the RPM is Zero when cranking (Can anyone with bazzaz let me know if they get engine speed when cranking?)

Gaz, you are talking about the two plastic unions yellow and blue correct? they look good and when opened there is a tiny bit of oxidisation but nothing uncommon.

Can't think of anything else other than a ECU fault.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, still getting nowhere with this thing, replaced crank sensor with used one, used ecu without immo working with EU harness.

Fuel pump kicks in but getting no fuel or spark, checked all 5 five common connector plugs.

Everytime I mess with the bike I age 2 years at a time!!

Please can anyone contribute with something I'm missing?

·
Registered
348 Posts
sorry just noticed you have a quickshifter from a gen 4 on it. disconnect that then see if it works. they usually kill either fuel or soar but some work on both. not sure how the gen 4 works or how it will mess with the gen 1 but give it a try. would be pretty shitty if it was causing the issues

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, the quickshifter was passed on to the gen4 not the other way around, one of the first things I did when it happened was getting rid of the bazzaz installation. No change.

Like I said, the only change between a running bike that had just come from a trackday was the fairings and not having the quickshifter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FIXED!! It was the stupid blue common connector! Despite having checked it and all looking normal, somehow the pins in the cap got loose and were causing all of these bullshit symptoms.

No injector pulse, Coils wouldn't fire and the fuel pump primed as normal.

Thanks to the guys who tried to help.

·
Registered
244 Posts
sudden loss of spark, fuel injector firing, dash, other electronic malfunctions, those 12v/ground boxes have been the culprit everytime for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts