Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, lets talk tires. I'm going to Daytona and need tires. Do I get the Daytona spec tires, or do I stick with the ones I already have?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running in the middleweight SS and SBK. I'm running the Power One's now but Michelin just change their tire, and Dunlop only has a 190 or 200 available. I'm trying to stay away from setup changes...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Check with your Michelin vendor.

Horror story:
I almost crashed in turn 1 at Daytona because the bike just wouldn't turn. I thought it was me. Accelerating to the Horseshoe the bike felt fine. As I turned into the Horseshoe, something was way wrong. Before I could stand the bike up and run straight, I crashed from a flat front tire in the International Horseshoe.

It was a normal medium compound Dunlop slick. The tire looked fine and had no punctures. Dunlop looked over the tire for two hours and finally figured out why - the plys had come apart from the heat and allowed the air to escape. I had used it for 5 practice sessions with no problems.

That tire had been flat all the around the banking at 170+mph. Only centripetal force was keeping it expanded.

Daytona is a different beast. You are full throttle for 1 minute+ each lap. Don't screw around with advice on tires there. Get real answers directly from the tire vendors.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts

Horror story:
I almost crashed in turn 1 at Daytona because the bike just wouldn't turn. I thought it was me. Accelerating to the Horseshoe the bike felt fine. As I turned into the Horseshoe, something was way wrong. Before I could stand the bike up and run straight, I crashed from a flat front tire in the International Horseshoe.

It was a normal medium compound Dunlop slick. The tire looked fine and had no punctures. Dunlop looked over the tire for two hours and finally figured out why - the plys had come apart from the heat and allowed the air to escape. I had used it for 5 practice sessions with no problems.

That tire had been flat all the around the banking at 170+mph. Only centripetal force was keeping it expanded.

Daytona is a different beast. You are full throttle for 1 minute+ each lap. Don't screw around with advice on tires there. Get real answers directly from the tire vendors.
DAMN!
That must have been scary.
I would talk to the tire guy at the track too, i know i guy who went through one rear with 1 lap at Daytona.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Horror story:

I would listen to this guy. He clearly has survived this beast of a track, but for safety concerns would'nt they change the layout? This track is the topic of conversation every year when it comes to tires. I'd say don't risk it and get the "Daytona" tires. It would not be a good time sliding down the track at 180 mph.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Agreed, speak with the tire vendor there. If you are going with Dunlop tires, the Daytona tires are DEFINITELY the tire to get for that track. For other vendors, you'll probably want to try one of their endurance (Hard compound) tires, but they'll have the best advice. Make sure you get tire pressure recommendations from the vendor there as well, the Daytona tires require a higher pressure. You can control some of the heat with the tire pressure.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I use the Gp211's N-Tec at Daytona. See ya there in October.
Power ones will work fine on a 600. You will do just fine. I Just retread your post not using a 190. You will want NEW. Not used maybe scrubbed, they will be DONE after the day.

·
Registered
270 Posts

The ‘D’ tire is designed specifically for maximum grip with high-horsepower bikes. It features a soft compound with a three-ply construction and asymmetric compound zones for added life. Compound is slightly softer than the Michelin Power One street 190/50/17. Michelin made a very limited number is these to be used at Daytona for one race.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts