Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious as to how many of you blindly believe in a Dyno's number or have opted to take tuning into your own, more accurate hands with a data logger. I know folks like to brag about hp figures but isn't a more finely-tuned, properly running bike better, even though it might not put up the biggest dyno numbers should it ever be placed on one? I guess is obvious as to which I prefer, however I'm torn between paying another $250 for a tune or $350 for a logger. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'm just curious as to how many of you blindly believe in a Dyno's number or have opted to take tuning into your own, more accurate hands with a data logger. I know folks like to brag about hp figures but isn't a more finely-tuned, properly running bike better, even though it might not put up the biggest dyno numbers should it ever be placed on one? I guess is obvious as to which I prefer, however I'm torn between paying another $250 for a tune or $350 for a logger. Any thoughts?
I have used both. you are correct the tune to make optimum hp on a dyno is not what you will want for the track. but if you do run it on a dyno and find that it makes its best power at say 12.9:1 that will show you what to shoot for when you log and tune. otherwise you will be guessing what a/f ratio to shoot for and you may not end up with a "good" tune anyway. once you have a baseline for where it makes its best power you can tune with the logger to keep that a/f. I would see the bike leaning out with every wot gear change at the track. usually would go from 12.8- 12.9 up to 13.3 by sixth gear. also if using both its a good idea to log the dyno run when it makes its best power that way you know what your 02 sensor is reading not going off the dynos 02 which may read differently. :thumbsup:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I'm with vince. I've only data log tuned my bikes really. I've done some back to back dyno runs just to see if there was improvements but data logging if far more accurate for tuning.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have used both. you are correct the tune to make optimum hp on a dyno is not what you will want for the track. but if you do run it on a dyno and find that it makes its best power at say 12.9:1 that will show you what to shoot for when you log and tune. otherwise you will be guessing what a/f ratio to shoot for and you may not end up with a "good" tune anyway. once you have a baseline for where it makes its best power you can tune with the logger to keep that a/f. I would see the bike leaning out with every wot gear change at the track. usually would go from 12.8- 12.9 up to 13.3 by sixth gear. also if using both its a good idea to log the dyno run when it makes its best power that way you know what your 02 sensor is reading not going off the dynos 02 which may read differently. :thumbsup:
:+1: Couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What logging system do you use? I've been toying with the idea of building my own system, but just curious what products you lot use at the moment?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm looking at a Wego 3. My main issue is having to pay $250 every time I change something, whether it be cam timing, exhaust, CR, or even displacement.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
The WEGO 3 system is VERY VERY good, the software is pretty decent. Innovate makes a great logger to and they have awesome software!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have the WegoIII and Innovate LM2. I bought the LM2 first but was not happy with it. I could never get a stable rpm or tps reading using the analog inputs. I decided to keep it because of the OBD capability. Works fine for that. Wego unit works fine, rpm and tps are stable. One thing i miss is you could turn on/off recording or record different parts of a run with the LM2. With the Wego if the bikes on its recording. Other than that I'm very happy with the Wego. Reason i bought one is i paid for what i thought was a custom tune. I always check behind someone and turned out i received a Dynojet map with a few numbers changed for my $300. Learned my lesson.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The WEGO 3 system is VERY VERY good, the software is pretty decent. Innovate makes a great logger to and they have awesome software!
:+1: Have to agree, i like their software better.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Innovate is better IMO. you get a headsup display on the laptop which makes it very easy to setup your inputs. the wego you have to set it then run the bike and look at the recording to see if your setup properly. i would think once you get it right it will work. like someone else said the innovate you can turn the recording on and off which is very helpful so you dont get false readings from lifting the throttle hard(it goes very lean which could effect the #'s in the cells that its going through when you do that causing it to show leaner than it really was) good part about the wego is its size and the way it automatically references the dynojet pc cell layout. you can do it on the innovate also but takes some programming. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts