Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went down on a patch of gravel yesterday an I am looking for opinions on if the city has any responsibility in the matter. I was riding out at the lake when I crested a slight hill revealing the sign "Loose gravel" and a fresh section of chip paving. I tried to slow down but I didn't see the spilt gravel( about 75+ feet before the actual sign) and my front tire slid out from underneath me. I'm only suffering a banged up knee but the right hand side of the bike is in bad shape. It will need new plastics, rearset, slip-on, passenger peg, stator cover, and a few other items. I don't feel it was my fault due to the fact that the moment you crest the hill and see the bright orenge sign and fresh gravel, you need to be able to safely slow down. However there were a couple shovel loads of gravel making it a dangerous combination. The speed limit is 40 mph and the fresh grave was on the entry of a tight right hand turn. I will try to take picture tomorrow. Any input negative or positive is welcomed.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Sucks but unfortunately you would probably spend more money taking them to court than you would get from them even if you did get lucky and win the case. All states are different when it comes to cases of negligence like this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i do road consturction the sign has to he so many feet from the lose gravel depending on speed and road caltran has all the spec. feet distance ect. if there not in spec of caltran u might have something if it is with in spec.s i dunno hope this helps sorry to hear wut happen

·
Registered
340 Posts
A friend of mine was driving her car up a street that was being re-paved. She went over a man hole cover that was sticking up too far and it tore the bottom half of the motor apart. The city didnt take any responsibility but the construction company paid to fix it and then put up signs about the manhole covers.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. The fact that the gravel was well before the sign is what makes me so frustrated. What's the point of the caution sign if it's after the danger?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yeah, go back with a video cam of some sort and document it! Then contact whoever you need to. Like above, probably the company doing the construction is more likely going to cough up if at all than the local govt. Sorry to hear about this. I had a night-time gravel crash years ago. I had no idea it was there. Went to make a u-turn and it just dumped instantly. I got up and started running and slid on my shoes for 20 feet right there. It was def a WTF moment. Pissed, but what could I do? I'm just ultra cautious at night. Good luck bro.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Call one of the 1-800-biker lawyers. Don't know the actual number but a google ought to bring up the correct numbers. Someone who specializes in bike accidents would probably be your best bet. HTH. Good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sucks but unfortunately you would probably spend more money taking them to court than you would get from them even if you did get lucky and win the case. All states are different when it comes to cases of negligence like this.
I respectfully disagree on this point.

I damaged my Wheels on a pothole, and called and complined for so long that everntully the city got bored of hearing my voice and bought me Carrozzerias.
take pictures, videos, and start calling all the verious city/county state offices.
I highly doubt it would come to a court case. I wouldn't spend a dime on it in court, but ide spend a good amount of time calling. Worst anyone can say is no. And it turns out most government employees don't know if their supposed to say yes or no, so they just do what ever they can to make a problem go away.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Definately get pictures of the sign its relation to the gravel. Then you need to find out if it is the City/County or a contractor...if it is a contractor the public entity should help you squeeze them. If it is the public entity try to sweet talk the risk manager.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It also depends on if the city/county actually knew of the problem. There may have been a problem after the sign also. If they didnt know of the one before the sign, its not legally their problem. I work for a company that deals with this stuff every day. Might as well try though. You never know what could happen.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Yep I agree. Go get pics quick. I hate the Texas oil and rock temp road repairs. I almost ate it last year on FM2657. I came across a sign that said flag man ahead, went through the curve and bam>>> FREAKING gravel ( at 60 MPH) then the loose rock sign. I saved it and made a U-turn.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for the advice guys!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Chris, watch out for those damn lazy road workers spilling gravel all over the place.

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
I'd follow some of that advice on video taping, and making a lot of phone calls... Not sure about going to court for it... :dontknow: The road should have been maintained a bit better though.

How did you fare? Just a few scrapes?

Chris

·
Dangerous
304 Posts
So I went down on a patch of gravel yesterday an I am looking for opinions on if the city has any responsibility in the matter. I was riding out at the lake when I crested a slight hill revealing the sign "Loose gravel" and a fresh section of chip paving. I tried to slow down but I didn't see the spilt gravel( about 75+ feet before the actual sign) and my front tire slid out from underneath me. I'm only suffering a banged up knee but the right hand side of the bike is in bad shape. It will need new plastics, rearset, slip-on, passenger peg, stator cover, and a few other items. I don't feel it was my fault due to the fact that the moment you crest the hill and see the bright orenge sign and fresh gravel, you need to be able to safely slow down. However there were a couple shovel loads of gravel making it a dangerous combination. The speed limit is 40 mph and the fresh grave was on the entry of a tight right hand turn. I will try to take picture tomorrow. Any input negative or positive is welcomed.
Was it Lime Creek Road? They have it all screwed up right now with gravel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts