Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm new to the US (Southern California)...

Most traffic lights over here appear to have inductive loops in the ground to sense vehicles, many in England do too!

However I've not had a great success rate at triggering these on my ZX-10R! In England I never had a problem!

Am I doing something wrong, or does everyone else just wait a while then proceed carefully through a red light after they haven't changed?

:dontknow:

I just make sure there is no police behind me, I'm waiting for the day thee is an unmarked police car around!

What do others do? Plan their journey only making right hand turns at red lights? (California)

Rob

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Look up a product called "Red light buddy", it will trigger the lights for you.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Lol I have the same problem but I've found they sense u better if u rev the motor a lil bit like kinda chopping it to abt 3k and back down a couple times.

I've been skipped quite a few times before at some redlights and ill get pissed and go through them

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,810 Posts
Best bet is to stop the bike over one of the wires. It's usually a rectangle that you can clearly see in the asphalt. If you stop directly over one of the sides of this rectangle, you should have better luck. Also try pulling up past the stop bar slightly so that any traffic behind you can get closer to the sensor to help trigger it.

The red light buddy mentioned is nothing more than a powerful magnet you strap to the bottom of the bike to help trigger it. Reviews on whether or not they work as advertised are mixed.

In FL, they have a law where a motorcycle can go through the red light legally after waiting for a reasonable amount of time and they aren't violating the right of way of pedestrians or other vehicles in doing so. Usually it's several minutes of sitting there waiting patiently. A lot of other states have this same law, but not all. Doubtful Cali does.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I feel your pain! When that thing flips to yellow I usually consider it a challange. lol
I just pissed at work.
Anwyays, this was quite a problem for me in michigan where the light triggers are more hidden, but here in WI they are described as above; Cement rectangle with a tar snaked around it. I usually hit a corner and use the brakes alittle harder to get the thing to move for me. No problems yet, but if the light doesn't change, car or bike, you are allowed to go if its safe and clear from what I've been told.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
I've also been skipped in my Silverado bec its lifted so high. Didn't really surprise me bec going through a drive through is a joke as well

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I do a few things, and I do live in SoCal.

1. makes sure I aim for the sensor and fully roll over it
2. roll further forward so a car behind me keeps rolling forward and triggers it
3. put the sidestand down on the sensor
4. right turn-u turn-right turn
5. hit the pedestrian crosswalk button
6. fuck it and go

if it were to get bad enough along a route a traveled usually, I would get one of the red light buddies that HellsRazor was talking about.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback, I'll give these suggestions a go!

One light that is particularly problematic is virtually at the end of our street, and it's a t junction, I need to turn left at! Grrr

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
I only have to do this a couple times/areas but if I can drive up to where the button for the crosswalk is I will and just push the button. I did that yesturday and buddy I was riding with laughed so hard.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Look up a product called "Red light buddy", it will trigger the lights for you.
These are just NEODYMIUM magnets that can be found at any hardware store, I put two under the oil pan to catch metal and to help activate lights when you go over the sensor.

Example:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY064

or just download a traffic light changer app :badteeth:

Anyhow most states here say that if you have proof you were at the light for more than 10 minutes you can run it when safe to do so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts