Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was a real nice night tonight. About mid to upper 60's, nice and warm for an evening and perfect to go for a ride. I ask my girl and she said she would like to go for a quick cruise and we suit up and take off. We get maybe a mile or two outta town and I notice the vehicle behind us is following a little too close for my comfort. I don't speed up or try to lose him, I just keep my pace and keep going. He falls back a bit through a few corners but when we hit the straights he is right behind me again. We are cruising at about 70ish so I slow down a bit, bt he doesn't pass. So finally I pull over and let him by. As he passes we get back on the road and keep goin. Well now this idiot is going about 25mph and is half way off the road. I'm thinkin WTF?! So I go to pass him since he doesn't have a clue what he's doin. As I am getting ready to go around he stomps on it like he wants to race. So i slow down and just back off. He sticks his arm out, waving me up so I go, then he revs up again trying to race me! So I just get behind him and stay there. He waves his arm like "C'mon dude, lets see what ya got. Why won't ya race me?" So now this fucker won't go over 30, all the while waving me up to him. I finally just pull over and stop. He slows down again but keeps goin. I wait till he's outta sight and ask my girl what she wants to do. She says she just wants to turn around and go back, so I do. We took the scenic way so we could still salvage a bit of our ride, but that guy pissed me off! What is wrong with these people? I had my girl and it was gettin dark and the roads aren't that great. Who are these backroad hillbillies? Do they really think we are dumb enough to race with a passenger on? Ugh. I just needed to vent. What do you guys do with these people? If I was by myself I probably woulda left him listening to the sweet music of two-brothers at 9-10grand.

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
They are a pain in the arse. I take it pretty easy with my missus on the back, but yeah, solo it would be more like seeya later and gone

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I agree. Most people that have never ridden before don't understand the intricacies’ of riding, riding with a passenger, let alone the responsibility of riding with a passenger.

Congrats BigTuna for keeping your wits about you and not letting them goad you into something that got you and your lady killed. You show great maturity from what I have seen of other younger 20-somethings.

As far as a solo ride... I think you two have said it all! :+1: on leaving him!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Might be a good time to rent the movie "Easy Rider" for a review of the dangers of messing around with rednecks in pickups while riding a bike. Some lessons are timeless.

·
Registered
86 Posts
cudos on using your head!!!! a-holes do it all the time they feel safer in their own 4 wheels, you made it home that,s what the ride is about!!!! going home

·
Registered
351 Posts
another instance to give up street riding for good and just do the track. I encounter idiots everyday on my bicycle.People just don't get it. They ride motorcycles as well as drive cages go figure. Funny how the world sucks when you have to share it with others?

·
Registered
356 Posts

·
La Flama Blanca
7,725 Posts
another instance to give up street riding for good and just do the track. I encounter idiots everyday on my bicycle.People just don't get it. They ride motorcycles as well as drive cages go figure. Funny how the world sucks when you have to share it with others?
Pretty narrow minded? I for one would never get enough enjoyment out of riding track only unless I could ride pretty much every day, I ride pretty much anything with wheels or engines, cages ,Road bikes, MTB's, Motorcycles, Dirt Bikes, Four wheelers, Jetskis, Boats, I even used to be into Skateboards and BMX. Shit, I even get excited about mowing my lawn and running my two stroke wead eater and edgers and blowers. In my world more is definatly better, you just have to stay on top of your game and with a little luck and some skill you will make it through life day by day.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Pretty narrow minded? I for one would never get enough enjoyment out of riding track only unless I could ride pretty much every day, I ride pretty much anything with wheels or engines, cages ,Road bikes, MTB's, Motorcycles, Dirt Bikes, Four wheelers, Jetskis, Boats, I even used to be into Skateboards and BMX. Shit, I even get excited about mowing my lawn and running my two stroke wead eater and edgers and blowers. In my world more is definatly better, you just have to stay on top of your game and with a little luck and some skill you will make it through life day by day.

Indeed what I said is, especially if you take it literally. However the older I get the more I come to understand how everyone wants to rule the road.Particularly people driving motorized vehicles. Most people in cars, trucks don't see people on bikes or its almost as if the choose not to, or like this thread was started they're instigators with nothing better to do but toy with others. If you're on this forum chances are you ride a bike that was designed for the track so saying just stick to the track kinda makes sense.

FWIW- I almost got hit in town yesterday on my bicycle becuase some dude didn't see me sure glad he braked otherwise I may be dead.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I agree. Most people that have never ridden before don't understand the intricacies’ of riding, riding with a passenger, let alone the responsibility of riding with a passenger.

Congrats BigTuna for keeping your wits about you and not letting them goad you into something that got you and your lady killed. You show great maturity from what I have seen of other younger 20-somethings.

As far as a solo ride... I think you two have said it all! :+1: on leaving him!
:+1:

·
La Flama Blanca
7,725 Posts
Indeed what I said is, especially if you take it literally. However the older I get the more I come to understand how everyone wants to rule the road.Particularly people driving motorized vehicles. Most people in cars, trucks don't see people on bikes or its almost as if the choose not to, or like this thread was started they're instigators with nothing better to do but toy with others. If you're on this forum chances are you ride a bike that was designed for the track so saying just stick to the track kinda makes sense.

FWIW- I almost got hit in town yesterday on my bicycle becuase some dude didn't see me sure glad he braked otherwise I may be dead.

Agreed, BTW there are plenty of threads on here about wrecked bikes at track days, lot of guys get in over there head and bite off way more than they can chew, so there are idiots and risks pretty much everywhere.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Agreed, BTW there are plenty of threads on here about wrecked bikes at track days, lot of guys get in over there head and bite off way more than they can chew, so there are idiots and risks pretty much everywhere.

Yes I agree with this too. I imagine there alot folks who hang up the leathers for good once they crack up. Either scared of injury or just too expensive to move on. Funny as it sounds I myself don't ride the track but the way I ride my 10r I probably ought to be. I also have been riding my road bicycle more than anything else including my truck because of gas prices,not working,and just kinda bored with going uber fast.Besides I like the health benefits and instead of spending 3 bucks to go thirty miles I can cycle the same distance with less clothing no helmet and put the money toward a drink and snack. Not to mention cycling chicks are way hot and fit. I don't know maybe I'm just jaded this whole thread started out kinda negative. I mean I suppose the fellow could of just laughed off the offer to race and not take it so personal. Kinda hit a chord with me, the town I live in is full of people looking to get a rise out of someone minding their own business. I have young people, mostly male shouting out wierd shit all the time as they pass by like I'm a snail, don't know what their problem is considering all I'm doing is riding along the side of the road. I think the world is full of people who practice bad diet,have add and no manners to put it lightly they're all crazy.

I live 5 miles away from town and it takes 16-22 min. to cycle there and I'll keep taking my chances as I feel its the best way to get around these days. Maybe people will smarten up and join me once gas prices hit 5 bucks a gallon then they can appreciate being the little guy, who knows.Yeah the 10r sits in the shed looking pretty with a cover over it to protect from dust and pollen. Its been relagated to a jaunt for occasional job interviews on fair weather days and a once a week ride in the wee hours just to keep moving parts a moving. I flirt with the idea of selling it and buying something half the value with better mileage but she's paid for and just a bike in a shed. Perhaps if I don't find work and the money runs out. Till then I supose you're right about taking chances and keeping the faith. Boy did I write a earfull.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I mean I suppose the fellow could of just laughed off the offer to race and not take it so personal. ... I have young people, mostly male shouting out wierd shit all the time as they pass by like I'm a snail, don't know what their problem is ... I think the world is full of people ... to put it lightly they're all crazy.
It is all about perspective and perception. I learned an important lesson about that when I first became a supervisor; Each person's perception is their own reality. The same thing can happen to different people and each person will have a different feeling and reaction toward it, thus influencing everything after that. As a rider, sometimes you have to look past what it appears to be and look at what is might be, or probably is, without bias.

For example: Two days ago, I caught up to a couple Harley guys. I passed them with the normal flow of traffic. The lead guy got up next to me (IN MY LANE!) after I passed them and snapped the throttle a couple of times. I looked at him to see what he wanted and he did it again. Well, because I learned to ride when the Harley guys didn't talk to you unless they were cussing at you, I thought this guy was being an ass. Especially when he came into my lane, jumped the throttle, then proceeded to take off from my lane, across another and into a third, accelerating in what appeared to be full throttle for a twin.

At that point, I figured I would show this guy, we were on a 4 lane separated highway with no one in front of us ... yep, I did the immature thing of passing him at about 11K in first, and proceeded to tach out 2nd before coming back to cruising speed.

Well the guys ended up following me for another 2 miles to a light. At the light, they got in the turn lane and waved when they went by!

Now, my whole perception changed! I realized that they justed wanted to see the liter bike go. Despite my initial reaction, I had to rethink the whole incident.

Perhaps the guy in the truck was the same way in that he just wanted to see how fast that bike would leave him when he was giving it all he had.

I don't know, I wan't there, but my .02 and food for thought.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,725 Posts
Here's a good one, me and a buddy were out riding monday, stopped at a gas station for a coke and a strung out looking dude on a Night Rod pulls up and goes inside, I am checking his bike out looking it over, cause it looks kinda cool if you havent seen a Night Rod before. He comes back out, throws his non DOT brain buccket on, in his Jean Shorts, Tennis shoes and Tank top and tellls us to keep it safe out there as he hauls ass out of the parking lot, so I tell my bud Craig, as we zip up our leather jackets, put our gloves and helmets on, I guess squids ride Harleys as well, haaaaahaaaa, sorry to get off subject.

In response to your post above grease, I can see it your way of him wanting a taset of liter bike power, I am consantly getting the universal wheelie sign everywhere I go, kind of funny most of the time I am in rush hour trafic, like I am going to hoist a standup in the middle of trafic, or going around a corner, lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts