Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the bike up the canyon today to try out the new tires and was moving along at a good clip for me. I was feeling good and this dude on a super moto screams by me like nothing. I think it was a Yamaha.

Now I want one.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
my question is, do you love your bike? the way it rides? the way it feels? do you get that stupid smirk on your face when you look at it? Thats how I feel about mine. Doesnt matter that its not the fastest. There is always someone faster out there. Dont worry about that because youll drive yourself crazy trying to. Be happy with what you have, and remember that a big part of it is your abilities. You might be good, and Im not saying that youre not, but who knows what the other guys skill level was either.

I say let him turn, then rail his ass on the straight when you hit the throttle

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my question is, do you love your bike? the way it rides? the way it feels? do you get that stupid smirk on your face when you look at it? Thats how I feel about mine. Doesnt matter that its not the fastest. There is always someone faster out there. Dont worry about that because youll drive yourself crazy trying to. Be happy with what you have, and remember that a big part of it is your abilities. You might be good, and Im not saying that youre not, but who knows what the other guys skill level was either.

I say let him turn, then rail his ass on the straight when you hit the throttle

Don't get me wrong I love my bike and would never get rid of it. That just looked fun. I was thinking more of adding one.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
lol fugg it! get one. if you can afford it, I say enjoy yourself. I know I cant afford to get a second bike but would love it. if you want it, do what makes you happy because life is short. live it up!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol fugg it! get one. if you can afford it, I say enjoy yourself. I know I cant afford to get a second bike but would love it. if you want it, do what makes you happy because life is short. live it up!
It's gonna have to wait. Lol. I never realized how nimble those things were. Talk about flickable.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Ive never ridden one to know. Only had sportbikes throughout my life. Still sounds pretty awesome.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The only super motard that Yamaha makes that I know of is the WRF 450. It's essentially the same as a YZF 450 with lights, electric start, battery etc. thereby making it heavier and slower than a YZF 450. I had a YZF 450 and that bike was way harder to ride fast around canyon roads than my ZX10. The dude was probably just a really legit rider and super comfortable on his bike. My advice if you want an offload capable bike is to get a straight dirt bike for off road and use the ZX10 for on road use. If you can't go fast through corners on you're ZX10 you definitely won't be able to on a super motard.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love my bike and would never get rid of it. That just looked fun. I was thinking more of adding one.

I say go for it man. They are a total blast. You can find some reasonably priced or buy a clean 450 and convert it. Although the latter is a tougher option if you want to actually title/tag one. It is alot easier to find a suzuki drz400sm for a fair price. Those are great bikes. Not ideal for long or highway rides, but will definately eat your ninja on a tight backroad. Look out also for the older ktm dukes. They're a little more streetable than the converted mx'ers. And did i mention true power wheelies at the flick of a wrist?:thumbsup:

I've ridden a few, (a husky, duke, suzuki sm, and a converted yzf). I'd love to have one but i have a triumph speed triple and it kind of gives me the best of both worlds, dirtbike ergos, sportbike performance. If i didn't have it, i'd love to have a motard.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,036 Posts
He could be a really good rider coupled with the fact its a much lighter bike and could probably carry higher corner speed. I have guys at the track pass me on 500's in the corners. Granted Im pretty slow but still the lighter bikes corner better.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
yahama aslo has wr426. My neighbor has one but its not converted to SM. Will sell it for 2500 last I talked to him.
The Honda xr500,600, and 650's are popular to convert.

XR 650R

Introduced in 2000, the XR 650R was not just an update to the XR 600—it was a totally new bike. An all-new 649 cc, liquid-cooled, SOHC engine was mated to an aluminum box frame. The large XR did carry substantial girth, however, at 280 pounds (127 kg) dry.[6]

The XR 650R is an incredible desert racer. It has won every professional desert race its entered. It remains one of the few stock dirt bikes that can touch 100 mph (160 km/h). The stock Australian geared bike can reach 180 km/h.

The 649 cc SOHC motor of the XR pumps out an incredible amount of usable power. The stock unit turns 20.6 hp right off idle and maxes at 45.2 hp once the motor reached 6600 rpm. The power is spread evenly across the powerband without any major glitches or hiccups, although power does tail off well before it hits the 8400 rpm rev limiter. Many riders agree on the user-friendliness of the big 4-stroke and few are displeased with the performance of the engine.[7]

XR 650L
The Honda XR650L is a street/trail bike that is more similar to the XR 600R than the XR 650R. It has a steel tube frame as opposed to an aluminum spar frame like in the XR 650R. It also has an air-cooled 644 cc SOHC dry-sump single-cylinder 4-stroke engine similar except for an increased displacement to the XR 600R, unlike the totally redesigned XR 650R that has a liquid-cooled 649 cc SOHC dry-sump single-cylinder 4-stroke engine. With a headlight, taillight, turn signals, mirrors, smog system, revised exhaust system and a 2.8 gallon gas tank with 0.6 gal reserve, the 650L has a 349 lb (158 kg) wet weigh

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
He could be a really good rider coupled with the fact its a much lighter bike and could probably carry higher corner speed. I have guys at the track pass me on 500's in the corners. Granted Im pretty slow but still the lighter bikes corner better.
yeah man, i get the impression some of these guys have never ridden a motard or ridden around them. On a tight curvy road, they will out corner your sportbike given equal riders. I remember riding one of my favorite local raods a few years ago and i look in my mirror there are a couple motards coming into view. I let them go around and just followed them. They were backing it into the turns, wheelying out of them. Passing each other back and forth. I could've passed them and used power to lose them, but they were going fast into corners, faster than i could have safely gone, and it was fun for me just watching them. A motard would make a great 2nd bike.

·
Registered
122 Posts
yahama aslo has wr426. My neighbor has one but its not converted to SM. Will sell it for 2500 last I talked to him.
The Honda xr500,600, and 650's are popular to convert.

XR 650R

Introduced in 2000, the XR 650R was not just an update to the XR 600—it was a totally new bike. An all-new 649 cc, liquid-cooled, SOHC engine was mated to an aluminum box frame. The large XR did carry substantial girth, however, at 280 pounds (127 kg) dry.[6]

The XR 650R is an incredible desert racer. It has won every professional desert race its entered. It remains one of the few stock dirt bikes that can touch 100 mph (160 km/h). The stock Australian geared bike can reach 180 km/h.

The 649 cc SOHC motor of the XR pumps out an incredible amount of usable power. The stock unit turns 20.6 hp right off idle and maxes at 45.2 hp once the motor reached 6600 rpm. The power is spread evenly across the powerband without any major glitches or hiccups, although power does tail off well before it hits the 8400 rpm rev limiter. Many riders agree on the user-friendliness of the big 4-stroke and few are displeased with the performance of the engine.[7]

XR 650L
The Honda XR650L is a street/trail bike that is more similar to the XR 600R than the XR 650R. It has a steel tube frame as opposed to an aluminum spar frame like in the XR 650R. It also has an air-cooled 644 cc SOHC dry-sump single-cylinder 4-stroke engine similar except for an increased displacement to the XR 600R, unlike the totally redesigned XR 650R that has a liquid-cooled 649 cc SOHC dry-sump single-cylinder 4-stroke engine. With a headlight, taillight, turn signals, mirrors, smog system, revised exhaust system and a 2.8 gallon gas tank with 0.6 gal reserve, the 650L has a 349 lb (158 kg) wet weigh
WR426 is the same as a YZ426f just had lights and a battery and electric start. They were replaced in 2003 or 2004 by the WRF/YZF 450. I had an XR650 about 10 years ago and it was a great bike but HEAVY. No way it would handle as well as a ZX10 through canyons. Maybe you could flick it into a corner easier but you couldn't hold a steep angle at high speeds like the 10.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have seen some track videos were the 650's were pretty nasty. I don't know it could have been a fast guy riding with novices. He was passing people like they were sitting still til the straight aways.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
On tight, gnarly, bumpy pavement, motards are untouchable. I've ridden a couple and they are silly fun.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The only super motard that Yamaha makes that I know of is the WRF 450. It's essentially the same as a YZF 450 with lights, electric start, battery etc. thereby making it heavier and slower than a YZF 450. I had a YZF 450 and that bike was way harder to ride fast around canyon roads than my ZX10. The dude was probably just a really legit rider and super comfortable on his bike. My advice if you want an offload capable bike is to get a straight dirt bike for off road and use the ZX10 for on road use. If you can't go fast through corners on you're ZX10 you definitely won't be able to on a super motard.

YZF 450? Do you mean YZ450

I think the super motos will be back this year if I am not mistaken. The enduros alone are selling great for some reason, they are getting quite popular.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I got passed on the track by a fucker on a husky going around a curve with his foot sticking out! Pissed me off! I quickly ran him down but then we got to the S turns and I lost him again.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
sumo's are probably some of the most fun you can have on two wheels, be careful, it's a dangerous addiction, i've known a lotta guys who've sold their street bikes after buying sumo's and seeing how much fun they are

1 - 20 of 23 Posts