Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is my question -- 1st I bought an upper engine case the other day w/ a fully assembled head. except cams (no biggie)

I want to know if I can sleeve the cylinders I do realize it will require boring but I only want stock bore but want the BEST POSSIBLE ring seal I can get
plus the idea this will allow strength. I know I know I can replate -- not interested in that. And the cylinder walls are fine no damaged at all hell it still has the cross hatch lines on the wall still

If anyone has experience in this please let me know and anyone recommend a Good Head Porting Company that will not break the bank :eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
I know it's not what you want to hear, but with these ceramic (?) high tech platings, if the cross hatch is still there, it's likely better than ANYthing that ANYone can do in the aftermarket. I say leave the cylinders alone and just put new rings on the pistons and call it good. You can scuff the cylinders with a hone if necessary, just go easy with it.

I don't think there is enough space between the cylinders to allow sleeves to be installed and allow proper head gasket sealing.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You cannot sleeve a nikasil block. And I hope you have the bottom half of the cases as well as the top, or all you really have is ahead and a nice doorstop. You can't mix and match top and bottom cases, they are align-bored together.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You cannot sleeve a nikasil block. And I hope you have the bottom half of the cases as well as the top, or all you really have is ahead and a nice doorstop. You can't mix and match top and bottom cases, they are align-bored together.
You can sleeve a nikasil cylinder. LA Sleeve does. The DRZ400's have a Nikasil coated cylinder and we got it sleeved at LA Sleeve. As far as top case and bottom you are absolutely correct. That top case will do you no real good by itself. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Also sleeving the ZX10R cylinders is a waste of time and money. The blocks are pretty stout to begin with also I really don't know if it can be done. But once again good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can mix cases just not recommended

I have run mismatched cases on an 04 r6 and a 98 f3 both turning high rpms without problems. I understand each case is align bored together but do you really think they are that far different. Main bearings do not see near the abuse the rod bearings do any way and if you plastigauge all the bearings you might be suprised. I am way harder on motors than most people due to the application. I do agree though leave the cylinders alone they are better than anything you can do to them unless you are making them bigger.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
LA Sleeve did a buddy of mine's R1. He was very pleased with their work. It did take a little extra time than normal because he asked for a really unique material to have the sleeve made out of. They had to order the right metal to do it with. He overbored his bike and then got the sleeves put in to make it stock bore again. Reason for him doing so, 180shot of wet nitrous.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I know of a 1100XX that have its bottom half destroyed due to rod failure. The engine was fit a used bottom with no problems. They also installed and measured the used (from the broken motor) main bearing bushings clearence and was inside tolerance (luck :dontknow:). Always spinning at the rev limiter.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
If your that worried about it just send the upper to Millenium Tech to get it bored and re nikasiled or just nikasiled back to stock specs.

Tread

·
Registered
41 Posts
The main bearings in these motors dont take alot of abuse, the rod bearings on the other hand :crackup:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well thanks for everyones input I was just wondering about the whole sleeve idea
As for the upper case and lower case what is the deal

Tread70 are you saying that the upper case and lower case are made matches or something cause I havent looked into it yet and bought with the head

The upper case is juggs split w/ upper case transmission together

Never heard about upper & lower needing to match might have to call the guy back and get the lower then

Plus what is the typical cost to match bore & plate the juggs to new piston

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
The two crankcase halves contain the main bearings , they are normally line bored as a pair so you have concentricity so everything is matched, I have rebuilt motors before with just one half and havent had a problem, modern Japanese machining processes are pretty accurate these days, however it is preferable to get matched halves.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I would not build a motor for a customer on a miss matched cases at all. it might work but not worth the risk. That is why you can only but the Entire cases for Kawasaki not just one. The

Also there were 3 different cases used in the zx10. Yes 3 different part numbers for the MATCHED cases so you really need the correct bottom half. Or at least the correct of the 3 bottom half. The clutch basket gear spacing plays into the mix to. Also the stator.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts