Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

ive disconnected the exhaust valve from the servo so that the butterfly is now sprung open...i actually want to remove it from the header pipe though!

has anyone done this without having to hack into the pipe itself? i dont want to make a mess of it

thanks,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey bro rossi... i was also thinking of removing it 2day but i dont know hw to do it.... can u suggest some tips..

Why i want to remove it is actually bcoz i just installed Jardine RT01 Race can today and i m not satisfied with the noise.... i want to make it more louder so i thouht removing the exhust valve might help....wht u say about it???

·
Registered
103 Posts
i thought i was smart. everyone just disconnects it, i figured id cut it out for less restriction. well the valve is bigger then the pipe where the slip on connects, now i have the valve bouncing around in there for a week. if you do it you have to cut in in half first, or cut the whole servo housing off, take it out and weld it back together.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Wow, great minds think alike. I was wondering if you could somehow bend it almost in half and pull it out of the pipe. The problem is when you disconnect the bolts holding the flap/valve you might loose the flap inside the exhaust header.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Wasn't this talked about before and it was determined that the only gain is a little more noise? And maybe a slight gain at half throttle up to about 6K RPM? I'm pretty sure somebody even posted slips from a Dyno and it showed NO difference at WOT.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i just did it for the noise. the bike was to quiet for me. i tried bending it in half with pliers and i broke 3 sets of pliers trying.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
PaulPud said:
i just did it for the noise. the bike was to quiet for me. i tried bending it in half with pliers and i broke 3 sets of pliers trying.
Thanks for the heads up!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
its like a butterfly from a carb, its got a thick staff in the middle and the butterfly itself is pretty thick to. and tin snips dont fit either.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You will need to cut the butterfly valve in half to get it out of the header. You need a cutting torch. I use a plasma torch to cut the valve in half. It has two screws which secure it to the shaft. Remove the screws after you cut the valve. Remove the halves, then the shaft. TIG weld the hole up and you are done.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Why is the valve there in the first place? Is it just noise control? :dontknow: Or did it originally provide back-pressure or some such torque enhancing marketing speak?

·
Registered
186 Posts
had to take a cutting torch to it,that's supermetal!yes it's definately a noise restrictor and impedes flow it could help at low rpm or takeoff but why?we like to run our bikes much higher anyway and would benefit from a better flow at high rpm's

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
blackhawk10 said:
So by disconnecting the valve it wont damage anything running it stock? (like my engine)
This is correct. You can disconnect the cables and it will remain in the open position. You can also take off the cables to save 1/2 lb or so of junk. There is a thread on the forum on how to do it. Had mine without the cables since day 2 of owning it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
that' answered my question!!! now i could put my bike together without the valve being connected!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts