Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of someone who does custom valving for the BFFF and BFRC rear for these bikes? I can't seem to find anything.

It seems odd to me that these bikes come with some pretty interesting suspension technology yet it seems most people dump it for aftermarket when racing. I understand that real race budgets allow lots of high end stuff. For club racing though, it seems like an unnecessary extravagance.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
632 Posts
+1 for that question from me as well. I'm running a Gen 5 rear suspension and looked for off the shelf upgrades too. There don't seem to be any valve kits etc. for the BFRC Lite shock.

I'll upgrade to Ohlins eventually but it'd be nice to have cheaper options for non-racers.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It does not matter one bit what fancy moniker that put on any OEM Factory suspension product on a production bike and I am less than impressed with most SHOWA OEM stuff. It is still a budget based low end suspension designed around the cheapest possible price point with the only real purpose is to safely haul around 2 people on a motorcycle on public roads. That is all it really has to do and all it is really designed to do for liability reasons. Sure they may throw some technology at it, but ultimately it comes down to how they can build it cheaper, not better. The reason you keep seeing new tech being employed is because it is cheaper to reduce parts like putting 2 valves into a fork instead of 4 or using one fork leg for a spring and the other for the valve etc. Fewer parts, less cost.

Past that I have said it a million times. It does not matter if you are a new rider with your first streetbike or a pro racer vying for the lap record. Better suspension is a benefit to EVERYONE. There is not a single rider anywhere that does not benefit from a suspension that is more compliant and correctly alters the geometry of the bike to aid the rider in getting into and out of the turns which is exactly what properly set-up aftermarket suspension does.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does not matter one bit what fancy moniker that put on any OEM Factory suspension product on a production bike and I am less than impressed with most SHOWA OEM stuff. It is still a budget based low end suspension designed around the cheapest possible price point with the only real purpose is to safely haul around 2 people on a motorcycle on public roads. That is all it really has to do and all it is really designed to do for liability reasons. Sure they may throw some technology at it, but ultimately it comes down to how they can build it cheaper, not better. The reason you keep seeing new tech being employed is because it is cheaper to reduce parts like putting 2 valves into a fork instead of 4 or using one fork leg for a spring and the other for the valve etc. Fewer parts, less cost.

Past that I have said it a million times. It does not matter if you are a new rider with your first streetbike or a pro racer vying for the lap record. Better suspension is a benefit to EVERYONE. There is not a single rider anywhere that does not benefit from a suspension that is more compliant and correctly alters the geometry of the bike to aid the rider in getting into and out of the turns which is exactly what properly set-up aftermarket suspension does.
I wrote a long reply disagreeing with you but decided against it. If everything is built as cheaply as possible and therefore crap then that holds true on the rest of the bike.

Fact is, for my needs, I'd likely be plenty happy with custom valving.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
I use a set of revalved stock forks. TSE Suspension in WI did the work for the previous owner. I haven't gone fast enough to find it's limitations yet. Using a KTech DDS Pro shock...>:)

There are positives and negatives to their mods but overall I think they work well. I had a set of Thermosman modified/Ohlins FGRT 808 forks on my '09 R1 for comparison.

http://www.tracksidesuspension.com/

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I wrote a long reply disagreeing with you but decided against it. If everything is built as cheaply as possible and therefore crap then that holds true on the rest of the bike.

Fact is, for my needs, I'd likely be plenty happy with custom valving.

If you are happy with custom valving and you think that is a justifiable return on the investment then I nor anyone else could ever argue that. It is your bike and your money.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that happily screw homeless chicks as they are cheap dates and you can drop them off anywhere. Others would rather marry an arm trophy that makes well over 6 figures annually and has another home overseas. It's all a matter of what you are willing to work for or compromise with.
:wink2:

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
If you are happy with custom valving and you think that is a justifiable return on the investment then I nor anyone else could ever argue that. It is your bike and your money.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that happily screw homeless chicks as they are cheap dates and you can drop them off anywhere. Others would rather marry an arm trophy that makes well over 6 figures annually and has another home overseas. It's all a matter of what you are willing to work for or compromise with.
Wow...smooth bossman, love how you are able to completely insult me (and others) for simply trying to stay within a budget. Guess my standards just aren't on par with your 6 figure lifestyle.

Please note: I never said it was better than the Swedish gold, just good enough. Lots of guys go fast on stock suspension.

By all means, keep on being the winner of the internet though.:wink:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Wow...smooth bossman, love how you are able to completely insult me (and others) for simply trying to stay within a budget. Guess my standards just aren't on par with your 6 figure lifestyle.

Please note: I never said it was better than the Swedish gold, just good enough. Lots of guys go fast on stock suspension.

Really bro, you got offended from a humorous analogy. Some of you guys on this forum need a bran muffin or something...

My point was sometimes you get what you pay for. If you want a meager improvement for a meager amount of money spent then great. If you want it to be right then it costs a bit more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The reason I decided not to reply is because I'd just like to know if there were options out there.

TSE is at many races I'm at so maybe I'll talk to them.

The problem is that so many of these suspension shops have the same attitude as LDH (not trying to insult you) in that more money is always better.

Just for reference, I have a hot wife who makes high six figures. I'm still cheap

Just sayin

·
Registered
361 Posts

I race on stock suspension (resprung) and have a trophy wife that makes over 6 figures... riddle me that!

I will put in my 2 cents and say the best upgrade I have done thus far was get my stock suspension setup for my weight and pace. With that said I can only imagine how good it would be with proper suspension setup for me! Key words being "setup".

However, with all that said the next mod will be a shock. LDH, wether you like it or not you will be getting a message from me about it one day. Possibly even a lowball offer on ebay :biggrin:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would rather have the 10-20% markup on a $3,000 Ohlins kit than the 10-20% on a $500 revalve job. Ha Ha. That's the logic behind the suspension shop sell. I have ridden many different suspension set ups and would offer this advice, buy a good aftermarket shock sprung for you( Ohlins, Penske etc), revalve/respring the stock forks. That is a racer on a budget.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I would rather have the 10-20% markup on a $3,000 Ohlins kit than the 10-20% on a $500 revalve job. Ha Ha. That's the logic behind the suspension shop sell. I have ridden many different suspension set ups and would offer this advice, buy a good aftermarket shock sprung for you( Ohlins, Penske etc), revalve/respring the stock forks. That is a racer on a budget.

Yes, well said. That is the return on investment I was mentioning earlier in this thread. I like giving people something for their money and I am not in the business of making bikes "Ok" or just "better". I'm in the business of making them awesome.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Dave Moss......

"Revalve and Respring, Never a waste of money, ever.
By far the best bang for the buck that you will ever get. Will make it
work significantly better at a vastly reduced price. Worth every penny "

Fairly strong endorsement.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dave definitely knows his stuff but he is just as interested in making money as the next guy. Hell, we all have to make an honest living too. Not a bad thing. Wisdom is worth something right? You just have to learn enough and experience enough to cut through the BS. I would buy that Old Stock Ohlins shock LDH is taking about. Not much difference in a gp ttx than a older model mkll other than the bipass bleed needle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The results are in, sort of.

Had my 1st race weekend. Put in about 200 practice and race miles. The front felt pretty decent. The rear was terrible. I was shredding the rear tire once I picked up the pace. From the unevenness of the wear I know it was a suspension problem. What I need to figure out is if I can dial in the stock suspension or if I'm going to have to break down and pull out the wallet.

I have another race weekend in 2 weeks so I may try one more time to get it sorted. To be honest, I spent most of my time this weekend working with the Woolich software to tune the bike. Next weekend I'll work on the suspension more.

As far as the shock goes does an aftermarket shock from a Gen 4 slide in there?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had Thermosman setup and respring my stock suspension. Rear shock length is 309mm plus 7mm additional length at frame clevis. We put a K-Tech 110 spring on. I am 200lbs w/out gear.

Raising the rear made a huge difference along with the stiffer spring. Bike turns in alot quicker and can hold a much tighter line without running wide like it did stock. Tire wear has been good running a second off podium in novice superstock.

I am fairly certain a gen 4 rear shock will not work on your bike. Much wiser folks will chime in soon.

I actually just purchased a set of K-Tech carts for my bike and will be buying a TTX in near future. Couldn't pass on a great deal on carts.

Hope you get bike sorted and curious to hear what route you go as I am in a similar situation. What tracks are you racing? East coast or West coast?

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
The results are in, sort of.

Had my 1st race weekend. Put in about 200 practice and race miles. The front felt pretty decent. The rear was terrible. I was shredding the rear tire once I picked up the pace. From the unevenness of the wear I know it was a suspension problem. What I need to figure out is if I can dial in the stock suspension or if I'm going to have to break down and pull out the wallet.

I have another race weekend in 2 weeks so I may try one more time to get it sorted. To be honest, I spent most of my time this weekend working with the Woolich software to tune the bike. Next weekend I'll work on the suspension more.

As far as the shock goes does an aftermarket shock from a Gen 4 slide in there?

Don't quote me on this but the frame and linkage points are in the same location, so as long as the shock length is right, it could work. "MAYBE"...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had Thermosman setup and respring my stock suspension. Rear shock length is 309mm plus 7mm additional length at frame clevis. We put a K-Tech 110 spring on. I am 200lbs w/out gear.

Raising the rear made a huge difference along with the stiffer spring. Bike turns in alot quicker and can hold a much tighter line without running wide like it did stock. Tire wear has been good running a second off podium in novice superstock.

I am fairly certain a gen 4 rear shock will not work on your bike. Much wiser folks will chime in soon.

I actually just purchased a set of K-Tech carts for my bike and will be buying a TTX in near future. Couldn't pass on a great deal on carts.

Hope you get bike sorted and curious to hear what route you go as I am in a similar situation. What tracks are you racing? East coast or West coast?
Midwest

Most races will be at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. Was at Autobahn Country Club this past weekend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts