Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here is my dilemma... I want a high mount system. I got a great deal on micron serpent headers. I was thinking that they were going to have the same outlet position and diameter as the stock headers, so I went ahead and ordered a LeoVince slipon to go with them... oops.

So here is a tech diagram of the slipon:

Notice the can inner diameter is 54mm (green square). Now, also observe that the mid pipe inlet inner diameter is 49 mm (red square). That is designed to fit on the stock headers which have a 49mm outer diameter outlet that is located 150mm aft of the bolt where it connects to the frame.

Now this means that I need a place with a 49mm outer diameter on the micron headers to connect the LeoVince mid pipe to OR I need to make a new mid pipe altogether.

Here is a picture of the micron header's collector/mid pipe:

The outlet outer diameter (purple line) is 56mm. The system is optimized for a 2 1/4 (56mm) straight through designed full length can. Bear this in mind for further discussion...

Now I have marked a couple of other reference points. The green line has a 54mm outer diameter. I have marked this spot, because this is the point I would cut the headers at if I were to make a custom mid pipe that were 54mm outer diameter all the way. Obviously I would stretch the inlet to fit over the collector outlet. The problem with this is that the lambda sensor** hole is exactly in the spot where I would need the pipe to fit over. Could this be de-welded and plugged?

The final mark (blue line) is an outer diameter of 49mm. This is where I would cut if I were to make an extension to go from this point to the slip-on inlet. Needless to say, I would weld the mounting hardware onto that extension at the appropriate location. At this point, this seems most logical. Using this method, I have a system that only increases (although not continuously) in diameter and never decreases. Also, this method would allow the Leo Vince slip on to be used as it was designed with the high mount mid pipe tapering as intended.

The nice thing with either method above is that I use whatever tapers are already in place with the provided systems. This way I know they are running the way they were flow mapped to run. I also know that I am not creating a taper where the angle of expansion is greater than 7 degrees. A little studying of aerodynamics has taught me that greater than 7 degrees would cause flow separation and create turbulence within the flow.

The overall problem with both of the methods above is that the final diameter is 2 1/8, not 2 1/4. As stated above, the system was designed to be used with a 2 1/4 full length can.

Those of you fluids engineers out there (or people who understand this stuff better than me) might be able to help me. How much is this going to hurt performance? Is it going to be worse than stock? Should I just use the Leo Vince slip on and sell the header? Should I just use the headers and buy a can to fit?

Help!

**My other question is what is the deal with this lambda sensor? Does my bike have one? It's a 49 state-spec bike. I looked down there and down see one, but I don't know if it is in a different location. In fact, I don't even know what the hell it is!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't believe there are all of these knowledgeable people on here and not one has any help to offer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really figured this was the one place on the internet I could get help... guess not.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
syntheticreality
I really figured this was the one place on the internet I could get help... guess not.

Chill out, be calm :lol:

OK first thing 2 1/4 inches is not 56mm so you know lol...2 1/4 inches=57-58mm so you know

http://www.reticles.com/conversion.htm

Man oh man, you went over the top into detail, all most over kill haha.
Ok your problem lies with you ordered a set of headers that run a bigger diameter then the mid pipe for the can you order correct?

I'm going to keep it very simple here and ask a question before I misunderstand something, but I have done a lot of one off exhausts for a lot of my friends....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
So here is my dilemma... I want a high mount system. I got a great deal on micron serpent headers. I was thinking that they were going to have the same outlet position and diameter as the stock headers, so I went ahead and ordered a LeoVince slipon to go with them... oops.

So here is a tech diagram of the slipon:

Notice the can inner diameter is 54mm (green square). Now, also observe that the mid pipe inlet inner diameter is 49 mm (red square). That is designed to fit on the stock headers which have a 49mm outer diameter outlet that is located 150mm aft of the bolt where it connects to the frame.

Now this means that I need a place with a 49mm outer diameter on the micron headers to connect the LeoVince mid pipe to OR I need to make a new mid pipe altogether.

Here is a picture of the micron header's collector/mid pipe:

The outlet outer diameter (purple line) is 56mm. The system is optimized for a 2 1/4 (56mm) straight through designed full length can. Bear this in mind for further discussion...

Now I have marked a couple of other reference points. The green line has a 54mm outer diameter. I have marked this spot, because this is the point I would cut the headers at if I were to make a custom mid pipe that were 54mm outer diameter all the way. Obviously I would stretch the inlet to fit over the collector outlet. The problem with this is that the lambda sensor** hole is exactly in the spot where I would need the pipe to fit over. Could this be de-welded and plugged?

The final mark (blue line) is an outer diameter of 49mm. This is where I would cut if I were to make an extension to go from this point to the slip-on inlet. Needless to say, I would weld the mounting hardware onto that extension at the appropriate location. At this point, this seems most logical. Using this method, I have a system that only increases (although not continuously) in diameter and never decreases. Also, this method would allow the Leo Vince slip on to be used as it was designed with the high mount mid pipe tapering as intended.

The nice thing with either method above is that I use whatever tapers are already in place with the provided systems. This way I know they are running the way they were flow mapped to run. I also know that I am not creating a taper where the angle of expansion is greater than 7 degrees. A little studying of aerodynamics has taught me that greater than 7 degrees would cause flow separation and create turbulence within the flow.

The overall problem with both of the methods above is that the final diameter is 2 1/8, not 2 1/4. As stated above, the system was designed to be used with a 2 1/4 full length can.

Those of you fluids engineers out there (or people who understand this stuff better than me) might be able to help me. How much is this going to hurt performance? Is it going to be worse than stock? Should I just use the Leo Vince slip on and sell the header? Should I just use the headers and buy a can to fit?

Help!

**My other question is what is the deal with this lambda sensor? Does my bike have one? It's a 49 state-spec bike. I looked down there and down see one, but I don't know if it is in a different location. In fact, I don't even know what the hell it is!
you are asking a really hard question to answer. to answer your question precisely and numerically (i.e. how many hp you would lose or gain) some one would need to know all the variables of the system in question. you did not give all needed variables so i dont think anyone can do it here, and the best you will probably get is a generalization

·
5,932 Posts
If he can post or pm I'm sure I can answer any question about this system!! Just hurry up lol, I don't have all night, oh wait I do I'm working lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm here and very appreciative I have you to help.

Basically, yes. The mid pipe on the header has a bigger diameter than the can that is coming.

The other problem is I wanted the system to be a high mount, so I was wondering if I could cut the serpent mid-pipe and attach the high mount slip on to that via the slip on mid pipe without destroying the power the system makes.

And you are correct, 2 1/4 is more like 57mm I rounded down instead of up and I was measuring with a crappy tape measure so it's not the most accurate.

·
Registered
113 Posts
syntheticreality

Chill out, be calm :lol:

OK first thing 2 1/4 inches is not 56mm so you know lol...2 1/4 inches=57-58mm so you know

http://www.reticles.com/conversion.htm

Man oh man, you went over the top into detail, all most over kill haha.
Ok your problem lies with you ordered a set of headers that run a bigger diameter then the mid pipe for the can you order correct?
LOL -- i'm with U --- i keep looking at the diagram and the end of the mid pipe is the same size as the as the can inlet --- i think he has to show a pic of the can inlet to see where or what we have to do to help him out!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The slipon pipe outlet is the same as the can inlet--yes

The Micron Serpent HEADERS I bought (which is what the real picture is of) outlet is larger than the can inlet and it's also not a high mount.

I guess I wasn't very clear about any of this... sorry

·
5,932 Posts
I sent you a pm but its easy to fix, get a new stainless steel mid-pipe made with the correct bends and just tell them you need the inlet side of the mid-pipe coming off your headers to be 2 1/4 inches and on the outlet side you need it to be smaller at 2 1/8...Its all just going to fall down on getting a new mid-pipe made...And truth man, the look of a high mount is cool, but its unnecessary weight getting add, I think the side mount will be a better setup

·
aka kwakrider
412 Posts
please share i cant wait to hear how this is going to work.is it out of the ouestion to sell the can you bought and buy another that works with those headers?send it back tell them you got the one for the 6r by mistake:bs: and send you the right one with the 58mm opening ,and if they dont take it back then go buy a 6r and youll have another bike:crackup:just kidding sounds like you got a real delima,hope you get it worked out.:eyecrazy:

·
5,932 Posts
You could send it back or you could get to work and have a project where you have beers and bike time alone from either the wife or gf haha...You could send back the can but I think in the long haul a mid-pipe for $20-50 bucks and a day will beat a new can in the mail any day in less you use express air haha

·
aka kwakrider
412 Posts
You could send it back or you could get to work and have a project where you have beers and bike time alone from either the wife or gf haha...You could send back the can but I think in the long haul a mid-pipe for $20-50 bucks and a day will beat a new can in the mail any day in less you use express air haha
:+1:said i was kidding.nice price on bike in miami too.:eyecrazy:

·
5,932 Posts
Yeah man, my friend had me call down there for him this morning cause he was at work and couldn't get time to call...They are trying to just throw this thing out the door to get it off there floor. Great price and only 900 miles with a first service and one oil change and its 5 years old...You can can't get any better, oh wait yeah you can they said $4700+ a helmet lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts