Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone comment on there experience with Keith Codes school? I'm looking to stop pretending like I am a good rider a really become one.

If you could post your level of experience, what class you took, and how you feel about the whole school I would love to hear it.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
Can anyone comment on there experience with Keith Codes school? I'm looking to stop pretending like I am a good rider a really become one.

If you could post your level of experience, what class you took, and how you feel about the whole school I would love to hear it.
Thanks for starting this. Im looking at doing the 2 day school at Barber in June. Im curious to see if anyone has done a school with them before.

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
Been twice (me and my son). Worth every penny. No matter how much you think you know (and I thought I knew a lot) you will learn a lot. I went after riding 15+ years, my son after 15 months. I knew he would get a lot out of it, was more surprised at how much I did. They have some very nice special equipment (the lean bike, the slide bike, etc.) which really makes it nice.

edit: did the 2-day class the first time then just back for additional levels the next. The 2-day class is better as you get a better rider to coach ratio (2-1 as opposed to 4 or 5 to 1).

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
Been twice (me and my son). Worth every penny. No matter how much you think you know (and I thought I knew a lot) you will learn a lot. I went after riding 15+ years, my son after 15 months. I knew he would get a lot out of it, was more surprised at how much I did. They have some very nice special equipment (the lean bike, the slide bike, etc.) which really makes it nice.

edit: did the 2-day class the first time then just back for additional levels the next. The 2-day class is better as you get a better rider to coach ratio (2-1 as opposed to 4 or 5 to 1).
Thanks twidget. I think Im gonna go ahead and book for the first part of June and do the two day school. They have the new BMW's so that might be kinda cool to get some seat time on.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks! I wince at the cost cause thats close to 10 trackdays for me, but i know in the long run it will be worth it. Going to sign up for a 2 day at VIR if available this year.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks! I wince at the cost cause thats close to 10 trackdays for me, but i know in the long run it will be worth it. Going to sign up for a 2 day at VIR if available this year.
There are other schools that are much more cost competitive, primarily because they don`t carry the equipment and maintenance costs, but also because they are trying to compete on price, rather than value (perceived or otherwise). Chris Peris is one that comes to mind (and a homeboy, of sorts - i.e. from very near where I am), but there are others.

You have to ask yourself - do you want to learn from someone who`s taught many champions over the years and broken ground on many topics, or do you want to learn from a champion who`s actually been there, done that and can give you the t-shirt. It`s not an easy choice, IMO, especially given the price difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I took the 2 day California Superbike School fall 2010....

By far the best thing I've ever done on a motorcycle.

Took it in Vegas. Was a bday present from wonderful wife.

I've been riding 30 years. In the first day they corrected a bad body position habit I didn't even know I had on the lean bike, and I had 2 "aha!!" moments that changed my riding considerably.

Not to mention a huge amount of on track time (one of my fellow students couldn't complete the two days - his legs were too sore) and one on one with your very own instructor.

They provide the gear, the bike (s1000rr!), the food. All the instructors are excellent and professionalism is high.

Really can't say enough. The 2 day weekend combines levels 1 and 2, initial outlay's a bit pricey but extremely worth it. If you can do it, do it.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
By far the best thing I've ever done on a motorcycle.

Took it in Vegas. Was a bday present from wonderful wife.

I've been riding 30 years. In the first day they corrected a bad body position habit I didn't even know I had on the lean bike, and I had 2 "aha!!" moments that changed my riding considerably.

Not to mention a huge amount of on track time (one of my fellow students couldn't complete the two days - his legs were too sore) and one on one with your very own instructor.

They provide the gear, the bike (s1000rr!), the food. All the instructors are excellent and professionalism is high.

Really can't say enough. The 2 day weekend combines levels 1 and 2, initial outlay's a bit pricey but extremely worth it. If you can do it, do it.
Thanks for that review! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Holy smokes that is expensive. Never looked at their site.

So under the two day camp it lists a price only under "your bike". Did you guys take your own or what?

What about the all levels course---whats the major difference? Is that only a four hour day or something?

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hi,

Just ran across this thread. Of course I love it when people say great things about the school, it's what keeps them all full:thumbsup:

I can answer any specific questions anyone has but from an overview: If you look at riding from the perspective of groups of skills such as visuals, body positioning, bike control inputs you'll get a good picture of how we've structured it. Each of the first three levels is its own grouping of related skills.

Truthfully, I'm still working out how to ride. I realize just about every morning that there is a lot going on while cornering motorcycles. Even after 35 years of experimenting there is still more to know, more ways to help riders and better ways to do fold the technical skills together into something that feels good and looks good.

Anyhow the other thing is that in our single day schools each coach has three riders to care for and the two day camps only two groups and only two riders per coach with seven on-track sessions per day as opposed to five in the single day sessions.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or log onto our web site and one of our coaches from around the world will answer any questions you have about riding.

Keith

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for joining the site Keith:thumbsup: Read your books and ordered the DVD couple days ago. I'll be at either VIR or NJMP for the two day school this year. Being 6'5'' 265lbs without gear are you going to be able to spring and set up a bimmer for me?:badteeth: Are students able to get hotel discounts for being apart of the school? See you later this year.

Hi,

Just ran across this thread. Of course I love it when people say great things about the school, it's what keeps them all full:thumbsup:

I can answer any specific questions anyone has but from an overview: If you look at riding from the perspective of groups of skills such as visuals, body positioning, bike control inputs you'll get a good picture of how we've structured it. Each of the first three levels is its own grouping of related skills.

Truthfully, I'm still working out how to ride. I realize just about every morning that there is a lot going on while cornering motorcycles. Even after 35 years of experimenting there is still more to know, more ways to help riders and better ways to do fold the technical skills together into something that feels good and looks good.

Anyhow the other thing is that in our single day schools each coach has three riders to care for and the two day camps only two groups and only two riders per coach with seven on-track sessions per day as opposed to five in the single day sessions.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or log onto our web site and one of our coaches from around the world will answer any questions you have about riding.

Keith

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for joining the site Keith:thumbsup: Read your books and ordered the DVD couple days ago. I'll be at either VIR or NJMP for the two day school this year. Being 6'5'' 265lbs without gear are you going to be able to spring and set up a bimmer for me?:badteeth: Are students able to get hotel discounts for being apart of the school? See you later this year.
No worries on the bike, it'll work out fine, we've had a few folks of your size on them already with nothing but great reviews.

No, we don't get any sort of discount. They do have those apartments at the track above the pit garages but we were never offered a deal for our students. You could give it a try though.

Keith

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,037 Posts
Well, I'll add my experience to this discussion.

Just like everyone else has said, CSS is worth every penny! I did Levels 1 & 2 last year out at the Streets of Willow Springs. I did 2 individual days back-to-back to get through the first 2 levels. It was the first time out on the track and the entire experience was top notch. Learned a few things, met some great people, and had a blast doing it! Keith and company keep you moving and thinking the whole day.

What I think is different about CSS from some of the other schools (not that I have experience with the other ones) is that the instruction is tailored more for riding the motorcycle in general and building up skills necessary to ride the bike effectively no matter what the environment. It's not a track riding school. It's not about getting your lap times down or going as fast as you can. The lessons are taught in a specific manner with the drills to teach you how to get the most out of the bike whether on a track or on the street. These are essential skills that form the building blocks for getting to your personal goals riding a bike. They can help you go faster on a track or just be more confident while riding on the street and the skills taught at the school apply equally to both scenarios.

My personal "library" includes TOTW I (Keith Code), TOTW II (Keith Code), Soft Science of Road Racing (Keith Code), Total Control (Lee Parks), and Sport Riding Techniques (Nick Ienatsch). All of these are great books to read on the subject, but there's only so much you can learn from reading books. CSS gives you the extra level needed to help apply the information in a controlled situation and under the helpful and watchful eyes of the Instructors and Riding Coaches.

When I went, I used the S1000RR's that the school has available and being a hefty 260lbs geared up, had no problem with the bikes being setup properly for my weight. You should have no issues either, especially with the types of drills and riding that you'll be doing.

I'm trying everything I can to mold my family and work schedule around the upcoming 2011 VIR dates so I can go back to complete Levels 3 & 4. Don't know if it will come together or if there will be openings at the school by then, but I'm desperate to get back there!

It is awesome and I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Skydork

You do make that bike look small! On the other hand, looks like you got the body position nicely and are going with the bike better than most large guys we see. Well done on that.

Keith

·
Registered
306 Posts
The original!, and worth every penny. I have only been to one day events and also had the opportunity to help set up and flag out here on Wheeler and Hickam military bases in Hawaii. I learned so much from Dylan Code and his crews not only in riding skills but in evaluation of my own and others techniques. What is most impressive is the professionalism and enthusiasm for sharing "the cornering bible" and soooo much more. I am finally retiring after 25 years of being a submariner and I am moving back to the mainland where I can not wait to stabilize and get to my first 2 day camp!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,037 Posts
Skydork

You do make that bike look small! On the other hand, looks like you got the body position nicely and are going with the bike better than most large guys we see. Well done on that.

Keith
Oh snap! I think I just got called "fat" by Keith Code himself! Thanks a lot! :crackup: I do need to hit the gym a little bit more, I know. :eek:ccasion1

I had the opportunity to work on that body positioning and get it right during my CSS experience! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh snap! I think I just got called "fat" by Keith Code himself! Thanks a lot! :crackup: I do need to hit the gym a little bit more, I know. :eek:ccasion1

I had the opportunity to work on that body positioning and get it right during my CSS experience! :thumbsup:
Hmmmm, ya, well...if you read your level III confirmation when you get it, you'll see it says to get your legs in good shape before coming so maybe it is timely after all!!!

Keith

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,037 Posts
Hmmmm, ya, well...if you read your level III confirmation when you get it, you'll see it says to get your legs in good shape before coming so maybe it is timely after all!!!

Keith
Don't worry, my legs are in great shape from carrying all of this extra weight around. :mrgreen:

Hopefully, I'll see ya soon! :helmet:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts