Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was letting my buddy ride my back up SS bike at the Atlanta and he went down after the finishline at around 140. He is fine, just a little rashed up. The bike isn't all that bad either mainly cosmetics. I need a timing chain cover and clutch cover and if anyone has any black 04 plastic in decent shape let me know. Thanks

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Ruthless Racing said:
I was letting my buddy ride my back up SS bike at the Atlanta and he went down after the finishline at around 140. He is fine, just a little rashed up. The bike isn't all that bad either mainly cosmetics. I need a timing chain cover and clutch cover and if anyone has any black 04 plastic in decent shape let me know. Thanks
glad your buddy is ok...any details how this could have happened?

also keeping this in the strip section as this might help others...but post in the wanted section for the parts.:wink:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bluedevil said:
glad your buddy is ok...any details how this could have happened?

also keeping this in the strip section as this might help others...but post in the wanted section for the parts.:wink:
He's not sure , but I'm thinking grabbed to much front brake, but it was after the finish and there is plenty of room to stop.:dontknow:

Alright, I'll try that section also. Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Ruthless Racing said:
He's not sure , but I'm thinking grabbed to much front brake, but it was after the finish and there is plenty of room to stop.:dontknow:

Alright, I'll try that section also. Thanks:thumbsup:
The reason I ask besides the obvious, is when I first started researching about drag racing I thought I read something about lowering straps..but it's been so long but would have sworn I read of this type of failure on stock wheelbase type bikes before ..just don't remember the reason exactly :dontknow:..was he running straps?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bluedevil said:
The reason I ask besides the obvious, is when I first started researching about drag racing I thought I read something about lowering straps..but it's been so long but would have sworn I read of this type of failure on stock wheelbase type bikes before ..just don't remember the reason exactly :dontknow:..was he running straps?
Yeah it has a strap on it, it's my old 1000SS bike. The bike was at 3" height so we had plenty of suspension travel.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Ruthless Racing said:
Yeah it has a strap on it, it's my old 1000SS bike. The bike was at 3" height so we had plenty of suspension travel.
I don't know if I can ever find that post about failure, but this is sounding familiar bud...I will try to research and hope to find the original article or posts but it's been so long I doubt it.:badteeth: ..not even sure if it's related but my gut and memory at this time is telling me it is. :badteeth:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
rr
Sorry bout that bro.
I got a 04-05 left lower kinda scuffed but not too bad.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Ruthless Racing said:
Ok RR...found my old post and doesn't seem related:

bluedevil said:
Was organizing my Mags yesterday and came across on old mag. with Motorcyclist Aug. 2003 featuring ZX12R VS. Hayabusa for "Americas Quickest Steetbikes". Anyway there was 3 tests. The 1st was stock height the next was the bikes could be lowered and even use straps.

In this article they talked about most real racing organizatons do not allow straps, and here is what Keith Dennis aka.-Shines(expert drag racer and friend of Ricky Gadson) says about straps:

"They've had some problems with straps where a guy does a big wheelie, and then the front end comes crashing down, sometimes with the front wheel sideways. With no suspension, the front wheel hits real hard, bounces back up and can start to go bang, bang, bang, side to side . It can spit a guy off"

I have tried the straps once on the 10 and never felt in danger of anything(also did not launch hard for a big wheelie) but this article now has me concerned using the straps because I know I'm capable of getting into wheelie trouble because I am new at this and had a bad experiance on my old ZX9R when I went into a 11o'clock and just into the next lane landing to keep the bike strait my first time out ever :badteeth: .

Anyone have any recent storys bad or good using the straps.

so, now this has me concerned on why you will be using that much brake to cause a failure. I do 140mph all the time with stock MCs and run Scotts steering dampner...and there is no need to panic as my track exits give you 2 choices..one for the Harleys :crackup: and the other for Funny car or ZX10Rs . Hope you guys find out the cause.

bloo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts