Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gen 4 crankshaft failure.. Odo 29k. Noise coming out.

Get checking to bikeshop they diagnose the plain bearing crankshaft failure.

My question:
If the journal is still good condition, under specs and no need to polish can it running fine just change the bearing?

Anybody heard about issues like this? means only bearing failure crankshaft is fine no scratch although done checking by machine shop.No scratch even little bit.

Always I heard that journal get scretch need to polish with matching size bearing and best way replace the new crankshaft and new bearing.

Need ur appoinion guys.. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i hope the noise from other minor part not the internal .. i am lucky or just played by the bikeshop..

must check with other bike shop after they ready the bike ..
for safety.. its big money to replace crankshaft other times.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done valve clearance before this.. this time its sound really different with knocking that need vc before..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bike is not running.. its happen wile im riding.. the noise came out and i stop my ride .. the bike not ready yet.. still at the bikeshop..

·
Registered
215 Posts
crank bearing failure and bike is running? Hardly; probably the cam tweaked out good.
My ZX14R ran with 2 spun rod bearings. Sounded like a diesel tractor but it still ran. At least for the 30 seconds I fired it up to get it up the ramp and onto my truck.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,727 Posts
I replaced a spun bearing on my Gen 4 also. It was the #1 rod bearing. Crank had to be reworked, and new rods and bearings, head reworked for flatness, and all the other odds and ends. It happened just off idle at low speed so I didn't nick or bend any valves. Motor still ran after that, but it sounded like a monkey hitting the side of the motor with a sledge hammer while it was.

Big job to clean it all out and replace the parts, but it can be done depending on the damage when the bearing lets go. I got lucky and it was a fun teardown and rebuild! I had the crank repaired, lighted, and balanced as an upgrade to it also! Good luck with it!

Reactions: zxroll

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced a spun bearing on my Gen 4 also. It was the #1 rod bearing. Crank had to be reworked, and new rods and bearings, head reworked for flatness, and all the other odds and ends. It happened just off idle at low speed so I didn't nick or bend any valves. Motor still ran after that, but it sounded like a monkey hitting the side of the motor with a sledge hammer while it was.

Big job to clean it all out and replace the parts, but it can be done depending on the damage when the bearing lets go. I got lucky and it was a fun teardown and rebuild! I had the crank repaired, lighted, and balanced as an upgrade to it also! Good luck with it!
some say reworked on crankshaft will failure again.. even smooth polished n under specs bearing match done.. is it true?..
Worries to rebuilt twice ..

Sent from my Lenovo A7010a48 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
some say reworked on crankshaft will failure again.. even smooth polished n under specs bearing match done.. is it true?..

I suppose depends who does the work, and if everything else is right ie bearings and rod. iv had cranks repaired as others have no issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suppose depends who does the work, and if everything else is right ie bearings and rod. iv had cranks repaired as others have no issues.
nice one .. my eyes looking on my mechanic now..

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
nice one .. my eyes looking on my mechanic now..

I had a crank 4mm stroked out at Marine Crankshaft i couldnt beleive the standard of work i couldnt micrometer any difference when it was returned spot on absolutly faultless.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,727 Posts

Depends on who does the work and the extent of the repair. I wouldn't be worried if the repair is done right! APE handled my crank, including the repair along with lightening and balancing. That included fluting the oil supply holes to improve oil flow on the journals and hopefully prevent a repeat.:wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts