Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Gents,
HELP!!!!
I cannot find any information on this issue, so I'm throwing a question out there to everyone who builds race engines for fun or profit...

I am reassembling my engine with the new forged pistons, Carrillo rods, bearings, etc. and just discovered that only one cylinder has an OPEN oil jet leading from the top half of the crankcase void above the bearing shell toward the piston! The other 3 cylinders are plugged with a solid fitting; no drilled hole in it at all.

It seems to me that every cylinder could benefit from improved small end pin lubrication and piston cooling, but I am reluctant to drill out the 3 solid plugs like the 4th unless someone more knowledgeable than me can tell me it's OK to do so.

OOPS - sorry: Gen 1 ZX-10R - I found a parts catalog on-line that has P/N 92062 orifice and it indeed shows it on only the cam end cylinder. The other 3 cylinders all have an allen plug, P/N 290. Does anyone know if this can be changed to allow oil spray to all 4 cylinders?
Thanks in advance guys!
Jim

·
Registered
974 Posts
I had the same observation.....not sure myself either.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
....just out of curiosity: is the squirter on the piston closest to the thermostat housing? There's a good chance that squirter is for cooling rather than lubrication. :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
....just out of curiosity: is the squirter on the piston closest to the thermostat housing? There's a good chance that squirter is for cooling rather than lubrication. :)
not so much....the thermo is in the middle of the head, and the squirter is on the #1 or #4 (can't recall)....

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
GTK.... I know the first gens zx-14/concours have that issue on the #3 & #4 in a big way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would unblocking those squirters cause a pressure drop?
I thought it might cause lower flow to the bearings, so I also blueprinted the oil pump to reduce operating clearances, installed a high-pressure bypass valve, and restricted the oil flow 50% to the transmission bearings. Using 5W-20 syn oil I have 40 psi oil pressure at 2000 rpm and 60 psi at 6000rpm. Haven't had the foresight to look down at the gauge at 13K rpm :lol: - probably over 100 psi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts