Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i take a top crankcase off a 05 and put on a 04 with NO problem? or is there some kind of marks that have to match up if thats the case is the makes on the out-side of the motors or inside.
thanks

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,136 Posts
i wouldnt do it. when the engine cases are made from kawasaki they are made as a set. even thought they technically they are the same the manual states not to mix crankcases. its not worth trying at the expense of your motor

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks i done a search and found some really good info

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
+1. The cases are align-bored to ensure the crank rides in the same plane. I've heard of people doing it, but it's not something I would ever choose to do. Unless you were at a race, and needed to make the next round, or back up a record, then all's fair, if it blows it blows :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
+1. The cases are align-bored to ensure the crank rides in the same plane. I've heard of people doing it, but it's not something I would ever choose to do. Unless you were at a race, and needed to make the next round, or back up a record, then all's fair, if it blows it blows :D
You forgot to tell him to blend the bearings.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Can i take a top crankcase off a 05 and put on a 04 with NO problem? or is there some kind of marks that have to match up if thats the case is the makes on the out-side of the motors or inside.
thanks
Hell no sir you can't mix those cases, unless you know somebody who has a boring bar and knows how to use it.
Your markings are located just above the rear engine mounting boss on the top case, nothing on the bottom.

Why would you ask such a question my friend, Hmmm?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hell no sir you can't mix those cases, unless you know somebody who has a boring bar and knows how to use it.
Your markings are located just above the rear engine mounting boss on the top case, nothing on the bottom.

Why would you ask such a question my friend, Hmmm?
Shameless, your tone is pretty combative, no need to slam anybody. He asked a question.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought i found a good deal block and pistons but after doing a search i found the info about mixing blocks. Im back to plan A:thumbsup:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Shameless, your tone is pretty combative, no need to slam anybody. He asked a question.
I know and appologise. I don't mean to be combative. I'm playin with the guy.
Tell him to send me his cases and crank, makes no difference if they match or not, i'll fix em for free (less shipping&bearings).

I'm just bored as shit.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I thought i found a good deal block and pistons but after doing a search i found the info about mixing blocks. Im back to plan A:thumbsup:
That's a nice bike. How's that baby handle in the snow?
If you want to mate two different cases it's not a big deal. It would be to your advantage to stud the mains ($120.00) and you may as well plan on running bigger bearings while your at it (there is no other option). If the cases are mismatched your only option is to bore them. It's not a big deal.
A set of little kawi mains are $90.00, a set of clevite H series are $90.00 (because you need two sets).
The kawi's are .058 thick. It's a weak stab at a TM (tri-metal) and complete bullshit for a high rpm engine, #2,3 and 4 are wider than 1 and 5. For some stupid reason kawi chose to run full groved shells on all 5 journals plus cross-drill every crankpin? Fucken idiots.
#2 & 4 main journals are the only 2 which need 1/2 grooved shells in the lower case. #2 main feeds rod 1&2, #4 main feeds rods 3&4, both main pins are crossdrilled.
#1,3 and 5 are nothing more than big stupid bushings that require minimal oil.
The replacements that I would recommend are Mahle .075 TM. Your other option is an old Vandervell shell # that has been reserected by C&A, which are a BM bearing (aluminum silicon) .095s, and a $75.00 set.
Either one is fine.
Sorry if I offended with that prior post.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Interesting info there Shameless, thanks :thumbsup:
Why would Kawi make so many cases, cranks, baskets, generators etc?
I'm guessing various manufacturers but :dontknow:

I am building a new engine, and it's annoying...

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a nice bike. How's that baby handle in the snow?
If you want to mate two different cases it's not a big deal. It would be to your advantage to stud the mains ($120.00) and you may as well plan on running bigger bearings while your at it (there is no other option). If the cases are mismatched your only option is to bore them. It's not a big deal.
A set of little kawi mains are $90.00, a set of clevite H series are $90.00 (because you need two sets).
The kawi's are .058 thick. It's a weak stab at a TM (tri-metal) and complete bullshit for a high rpm engine, #2,3 and 4 are wider than 1 and 5. For some stupid reason kawi chose to run full groved shells on all 5 journals plus cross-drill every crankpin? Fucken idiots.
#2 & 4 main journals are the only 2 which need 1/2 grooved shells in the lower case. #2 main feeds rod 1&2, #4 main feeds rods 3&4, both main pins are crossdrilled.
#1,3 and 5 are nothing more than big stupid bushings that require minimal oil.
The replacements that I would recommend are Mahle .075 TM. Your other option is an old Vandervell shell # that has been reserected by C&A, which are a BM bearing (aluminum silicon) .095s, and a $75.00 set.
Either one is fine.
Sorry if I offended with that prior post.
IT'S cool you didnt :eek:ccasion1 I found a 2mm and piston set i want to buy but i dont want to F-up my bike looking for more power, and the snow havent came yet anyday lol

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
It is not so much a matter of building "so many". It's more a matter of manufacturing tolerances. Rather than attempting the impossible of maintaining absolutely exact tolerances, they allow a certain amount of tolerance and select-fit the mating parts according to the actual dimensions. The ZX10R situation with the clutch basket and alternator etc is an oddball, but *every* motorcycle engine uses main and rod bearings that are select-fit to the crankcase, rods, and crankshaft.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tell him to send me his cases and crank, makes no difference if they match or not, i'll fix em for free (less shipping&bearings).

I'm just bored as shit.
I might take you up on that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Interesting info there Shameless, thanks :thumbsup:
Why would Kawi make so many cases, cranks, baskets, generators etc?
I'm guessing various manufacturers but :dontknow:

I am building a new engine, and it's annoying...
Like GoFaster said, kawi cant see to hold the tolerances these days. They never had a problem in the past and they don't have those problems on the new bikes? I think we got screwed guys on our 1st gens.
I been going through hell over here getting my cases straightened out.
The factory bearings truly are garbage. They leave a builder no wiggle room for adjustments. If your cases arye'nt in perfect shape there's going to be serious problems.
If you take a file to an old kawi shell and cut the copper face down to the steel you will understand what im talking about. kawi's copper/lead measures .004 thick. It's some kind of chinese bearing that i can get no info about.
The bearings I installed in my engine are .075s and the copper/lead is about .031 thick and it leaves me plenty of room for alignment if necessary. I could bore through these bearings if i wanted to and still be better off than the crap kawi sells us.
I doubt that many here need such bearings but for those who have spun a main it is a cheap alternative to new cases.
I was working on my engine yesterday and my digital calipers took a hit on the screen and it went black, so im at a standstill until i get replacements.

I think you got one of my transmissions? Shaun was over here picking through parts a couple weeks ago and left with a nice one?
Good luck on your build, looks like your doing fine.

·
Registered
664 Posts

I'm just bored as shit.
Apologies for the highjack.

I have some Gen 1 engine cases. I'll never use them and would to find a good home for them. Please see this post:

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79658

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
It is not so much a matter of building "so many". It's more a matter of manufacturing tolerances. Rather than attempting the impossible of maintaining absolutely exact tolerances, they allow a certain amount of tolerance and select-fit the mating parts according to the actual dimensions. The ZX10R situation with the clutch basket and alternator etc is an oddball, but *every* motorcycle engine uses main and rod bearings that are select-fit to the crankcase, rods, and crankshaft.
I meant "so many different". Sure bearings are ok, but why clutch baskets paired with generators paired with crankcases paired with crankshafts, too many variables...The other brands don't have all these (i think?). Maybe because the cylinders are build-in the crankcase?

And yeah, 06 onwards don't have these issues..

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Like GoFaster said, kawi cant see to hold the tolerances these days. They never had a problem in the past and they don't have those problems on the new bikes? I think we got screwed guys on our 1st gens.
I been going through hell over here getting my cases straightened out.
The factory bearings truly are garbage. They leave a builder no wiggle room for adjustments. If your cases arye'nt in perfect shape there's going to be serious problems.
If you take a file to an old kawi shell and cut the copper face down to the steel you will understand what im talking about. kawi's copper/lead measures .004 thick. It's some kind of chinese bearing that i can get no info about.
The bearings I installed in my engine are .075s and the copper/lead is about .031 thick and it leaves me plenty of room for alignment if necessary. I could bore through these bearings if i wanted to and still be better off than the crap kawi sells us.
I doubt that many here need such bearings but for those who have spun a main it is a cheap alternative to new cases.
I was working on my engine yesterday and my digital calipers took a hit on the screen and it went black, so im at a standstill until i get replacements.

I think you got one of my transmissions? Shaun was over here picking through parts a couple weeks ago and left with a nice one?
Good luck on your build, looks like your doing fine.
Yeap that's mine, thanks :thumbsup: I ordered new bearings, athough the old ones were fine, i'll see the specs when the cases arrive. Only 04-05 have this, other gens are ok...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
the 04-05 case are very soft they made them too soft i have had head bolts pull threads tqing them to factory specs let alone clutch cover and side cover treads. I know im not the only one to have that problem a few other shops have too. we have fixed that problem we hope we will find out this spring when boost his the motor

·
Registered
346 Posts
the 04-05 case are very soft they made them too soft i have had head bolts pull threads tqing them to factory specs let alone clutch cover and side cover treads. I know im not the only one to have that problem a few other shops have too. we have fixed that problem we hope we will find out this spring when boost his the motor
Here's how I fixed the problem;

1 - 20 of 28 Posts