Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had a problem with a cracked frame on an 04,05 zx10r? a few day ago I was out riding and set down a wheelie a bit hard, thought I herd a click sound, just figured it must be forks, figured I'll check them when I get back to the shop, then I set down a few more wheelies and herd the click coming from around my knees, when I got back to the shop I checked the forks, they looked good, pulled off the side covers and started checking around, low and behold right above the upper motor mount on the bottom side of the frame theres a crack about 1/2 in. it goes in to the weld and up the weld about 2 ins. so I checked the other side, yep, same thing, now I admit I am a bit over wieght but I'm still below the 250lb. mark, [ just bairly ] so my question is has any one seen this before?? and should I just replace the frame and hope it doesnt happen again, or have the frame welded and reinforced and powder coated and run it that way. Mind you this bike get set down hard on the front wheel from time to time dew in part to uncontrolable situations, but the bike has never been in a wreck. PLEASE HELP!!!! the snows just starting to go away here and I sure want to ride this little beasty more, but I dont have a death wish so need to fix it quick. any help would be great. thanks all :dontknow:

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
I'd replace the frame no question. If it's cracked it's done. Using it for anything other than a future beer can is Russian roulette IMHO.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
My frame cracked on my 04 also - I discovered it in 07. Took it back to the dealer and Kawasaki gave me a brand new frame and picked up the labor costs no questions asked - the bike was obviously out of warranty as well.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
I was able to locate a photo of my frame issue. Not as bad as what you have described but cracked none the less.

FrameCrack002.jpg

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
250lber setting dwon hard wheelies frequently, and you are suprised your frame cracked. :dontknow:

Do I really need to get into the "not designed for that " explanation or do you got all that figured out already.

Ditch the frame its done , IMHO, could be welded but I would not trust it. And if I were you I would cut the wheelies out or learn to use a little more finess.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Sorry Zed.. I lost track of your train of thought after I started fantasizing thanks to your avatar.. :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
the search button will bring up tons of stories like yours, I had the dealer swap my cracked frame 1yr ago same crack as yours and KAW. covered the cost

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Wow, maybe he stands a chance to get his replaced?

yeah that would be the first place to check is at the dealer and see if ya can get Kawi to cover it, cause if they do that will be a sweet deal.. good luck and post some pics of those cracks.. and do let us know the outcome..

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I was able to locate a photo of my frame issue. Not as bad as what you have described but cracked none the less.

View attachment 92443
You don't need a new $2000 frame it was welded to start with soooo go to a aircraft welder and have him zip it up! cost about $100 and them if you wanted to re-powdercoat it {it's up to you on that} about $200 more! :dontknow:

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
that sucks,

·
Registered
698 Posts
250lber setting dwon hard wheelies frequently, and you are suprised your frame cracked. :dontknow:

Do I really need to get into the "not designed for that " explanation or do you got all that figured out already.

Ditch the frame its done , IMHO, could be welded but I would not trust it. And if I were you I would cut the wheelies out or learn to use a little more finess.
C'mon man! Give the guy a break! do you really think everyone who rides a ZX10 is built like Jaime Hacking or Roger Hayden? Do you think they only build the solid frames for guys that are 300 and ride a ZX14? Get real. its Kawi"s fault. the frame has been talked about several times on the 04...if thats what it is... contact Kawi man, and see what they say.......just don't mention all the wheelies. There is no reason for the frame to crack like that! although I know it has for some, it's still not acceptible.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
C'mon man! Give the guy a break! do you really think everyone who rides a ZX10 is built like Jaime Hacking or Roger Hayden? Do you think they only build the solid frames for guys that are 300 and ride a ZX14? Get real. its Kawi"s fault. the frame has been talked about several times on the 04...if thats what it is... contact Kawi man, and see what they say.......just don't mention all the wheelies. There is no reason for the frame to crack like that! although I know it has for some, it's still not acceptible.
Kawi did not design the frame for hard impacts coming off wheelies, so I would say no it's not kawi's fault. Now stories like Aliens, that appear to be a defect in the weld, thats one thing, and I can see the dealer warrantying that, but seriously it would be sweet if kawi warrantied it but i would not expect it, wheelieing a bike and slaming it around is quite frankly abuse, and something it was not designed for so, if it breaks, it breaks, not a defective part.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Kawi did not design the frame for hard impacts coming off wheelies, so I would say no it's not kawi's fault. Now stories like Aliens, that appear to be a defect in the weld, thats one thing, and I can see the dealer warrantying that, but seriously it would be sweet if kawi warrantied it but i would not expect it, wheelieing a bike and slaming it around is quite frankly abuse, and something it was not designed for so, if it breaks, it breaks, not a defective part.

A liter bike better be designed well enough not to crack frames when letting the front end down. Whether you are trying or not, a liter bike will frequently lift the front end off the ground, so it better be designed to handle something the engineers new would inevitably happen. People do wheelies all the time on the track and on the street without actually planning on it. I mean 428 lbs. wet and 155+rwhp, Kawi must have expected the front end to come off the ground....and they know there will be people that weigh over 150 lbs. riding the thing. Stunting and abusing a bike is one thing, but even then doesn't always crack frames. Based on all the other 04's with cracked frames, I tend to believe the 04's had issues straight from the factory and could crack without "abuse", doing normal things that any 1,000 cc bike should be made to handle.

...ps. hope mine doesn't crack!

·
Registered
69 Posts
i know a few guys that had the same thing happened.. seemed to be a prob with some of the first gens.. kawi replaced 2 guys that i rode with for free

·
Registered
742 Posts

View attachment 92443
I have analyzed why the frame would crack here, as I own a 04 (did not cracked so far) and found that the problem would be the improper adjusment torque of the spacer behind this hole.
The lack of enough torque to the spacer would simply leave some gap (though centecimal) between the spacer and the frame, and when you torque the center bolt will force the frame to check that gap overstressing the weld, eventually cracking.

It´s not a frame issue; it´s more like an improper (factory?) adjustment issue.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
hmmm could be. good point.
But would so many 04's have a cracked frame for an adjustment issue? when dealers "should" check all settings after putting the bike together

·
Registered
742 Posts
I really don´t see the dealer checking that, specially if there´s no recall from Kawasaki. That engine mount is factory torqued.

With the proper adjustment I don´t think the frame would crack. IMO,that´s why most 04s haven´t gone through that problem (though many did, as you say right).

·
Registered
819 Posts
If your dealer is a good guy, "They will get it fixed". There is no reason for that happening. That is more than likely just a poor weld. Take it in and get it checked

1 - 20 of 66 Posts