Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just want to ask anyone if they know of 04 and 05 zx 10s having problems with lower engine case cracking. My bike has had lower case replaced 1.5 yrs ago and same thing happened 2months ago. kawasaki is going to fix again for free but said this will be last time. Lower case keeps cracking right above the water pump where the blot holds the cases together. it cracks right there at the bolt shoulder and oozes oil. it is minimal leak and I rode it some like that but these bikes shouldnt leak.I ride curves and wheelies and dont think that I am abusing my bike. Just want to hear some opinions on this. I luv my bike and dont want to sell it but its almost 4500 buks for the repair and I cant afford that on a 6000 dollar bike. Thank god they are fixing it. Thanks Heff.

P.S. Have owned 2 1986 1000r ninjas, 2 1994 900's, and a 250 ninja and my 05 zx 10. Also have 1997 prarie 400 4x4 for hunting so i am green bleeder.:heyyou:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Honestly I've never heard of this. I've cracked a case throwing a chain but never seen one crack like that from normal wear and tear. Maybe try looking at other stressed areas around it. Try checking the frame for cracks? Maybe its putting extra stress on that specific point.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Honestly I've never heard of this. I've cracked a case throwing a chain but never seen one crack like that from normal wear and tear. Maybe try looking at other stressed areas around it. Try checking the frame for cracks? Maybe its putting extra stress on that specific point.
Good point. I had my cases replaced on my 04 at 11000km under warranty, but that was because of a porous casting and was seeping through the case near the cam chain at the front. That was the upper case

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
All I could say is wow, you might be torquing down the bolts to hard on the case or the stealership might be. But what might be causing it is over time there is to much pressure on the case covers them self's which is causing them to form a leak over time or a small crack. I have seen this happen before due to improper tighting to specifications of the bolts!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts