Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently picked up seemingly good condition 05 but from what I can tell the bike had been down at some point.

Anyway I noticed what looks like a hairline crack in the typical broken weld spot on the bike. I've done some research on here about the options for repair or replacement of the frame but I just wanted to know what you guys think about my exact situation.

So the hairline crack although fairly long in length almost seems to have no depth to it almost as if it's a crack in the paint. I've run a very thin knife along the crack and its even the entire way and doesn't go any deeper then the depth of the paint.

So my question is, should I sand it down for a better look? or has anyone else's crack started like this and then progressed ?

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
That's a cracked weld. It goes deeper than the paint and isn't a cosmetic thing. That's how they start and you won't be able to get a knife in it. The weld is compromised at this point.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What Skydork said. That needs repaired or replaced.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
That's a cracked weld. It goes deeper than the paint and isn't a cosmetic thing. That's how they start and you won't be able to get a knife in it. The weld is compromised at this point.
What Skydork said. That needs repaired or replaced.
:+2:

I'm with both these ninnies. It needs to be repaired or replaced ASAP. It will only get worse and will lead to failure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You need a good tig welder or simply replace the frame with new.

Using sandpaper on Al isn't a great idea for many reasons.

:nerd:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yes that is definitely cracked through, and will continue to get worse if you dont fix it.
A good welder can probably fix that without taking the engine out. If you want to make it easy on him, then drop the motor out first. Don't get too worried about welding vs replacing. A good weld will work just fine. The important thing is selecting a welder who knows how to TIG weld aluminum and do the correct prep work.
Check the other frame spar too, in the same area. There is a reason the 1st gen is the lightest 1000 around. Its just beefy enough to resist tearing apart in the wind. Anything more and its toast. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies !

There's a local shop that I've heard good things about with frame repairs so I will take it there this week.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Got mine welded for the third time :p you get use to it lol!!
Ya I'm debating between my 2nd or a frame swap, got one on here years ago before it was welded the first time. The first time both sides looked like the pics above & inside by the airbox was cracked as well. Now it's cracking on the outside across the wide part at 90 degrees to the above pics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts