Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was putting a new chain and sprocket on tonight and decided to look at my bike all over well I found a hairline crack where the motormounts are welded to the frame on both sides I thought it was the shadow of the light but using a mechanic's mirror the crack was easy to see there are to pits at either end of the crack and it runs along the weld, I searched here for post of frames and read some of them But I have to ask how succesful anyone was in getting the warranty to cover this and any advice in handling the situation? and no I dont have any pics cause I dont want to remove the plastics and its a high perfomance litre bike I ride it accordingly.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
mines at the dealer right now, i called kawi and let them know i was bringing the bike in. my dealer took pictures and sent them to kawi and im waiting decision right now if its deemed as manufactures defect i get one even with my bike being out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
post up some pictures of the cracks id like to see how yours looks compared to mine. mines cracking in the same spots.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
mattfr12 said:
post up some pictures of the cracks id like to see how yours looks compared to mine. mines cracking in the same spots.
you guys are cracking me up.:crackup:

j/m...post some pics....I have been here awhile and never seen 2 in such a short time claim the same...pics please..

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
sorry thier so blurry not to good of a camera but you can see where the grey begins thats right where the cracking is. ill try to get the ones the dealer took when im over thier next im gonna call them tommorrow morning and see whats going on.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
same exact thing mines doing i didnt even believe it was a crack first time i saw it i was so pissed i miss it already its been thier for 3 days now. the guy at the dealer tells me that doesnt really look like a crack. i was like well it wasnt thier when i bought it. hes like just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse bring it back. after that i was conviced some people really are just stupid.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
how many miles do you have ive got 7,9XX and do you wheelie alot or anything unusual. im not gonna lie i wheelie i just cant stop myself its just so damn fun.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I found a hairline in my frame just before i left for wyoming, but do to the fact its been looped once and i wheelie it alot, i'd be willing to say its my bad and not the manuf.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
they claim you can no matter how many times you wheelie it shouldnt make a difference. some road bumps are worse than wheelies i always set them down soft also i cant think of any occasion where it was slammed. original forkseals still in the bike.

·
Registered
318 Posts
mine is an 04 and i still have the original fork seals, i dont leak a drop and set my wheelies down soft 95% of the time, but theres that occasinal time where i smack neutral or something like that....

If what your saying is true, then every1's cracked frame would b coverd by warranty/manuf defect

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
These bikes are not designed for wheelies. People do it anyway. When you ride keep street bike in mind not dirty bike. When you let down a wheelie thats a lot of stress being put on the frame. At least you were not riding and it the frame broke or the engine fell out like I have heard happen twice with the 05 gixxer. Every will go well.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
zx10x2 said:
These bikes are not designed for wheelies. People do it anyway. When you ride keep street bike in mind not dirty bike. When you let down a wheelie thats a lot of stress being put on the frame. At least you were not riding and it the frame broke or the engine fell out like I have heard happen twice with the 05 gixxer. Every will go well.
I agree, these bikes ware made to get around a track in the fastest possible way not for stunts. And I'm not passing judgement, 98% of us like to ride wheelies but the designers really don't create these things with that in mind. They just want every part as light as possible. Unfortunately this is the price some of us pay.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Andy said:
I agree, these bikes ware made to get around a track in the fastest possible way not for stunts. And I'm not passing judgement, 98% of us like to ride wheelies but the designers really don't create these things with that in mind. They just want every part as light as possible. Unfortunately this is the price some of us pay.

:+1: :+1:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
All the cracks Ive seen in ZX-10R frames have been on the weld. It is a manufacturing defect for sure. The weld, if done correctly is stronger than the aluminum that the frame itself is made from. I believe its a preheat issue, or lack of preheat I should say.

·
Registered
318 Posts
ninja2k5 said:
All the cracks Ive seen in ZX-10R frames have been on the weld. It is a manufacturing defect for sure. The weld, if done correctly is stronger than the aluminum that the frame itself is made from. I believe its a preheat issue, or lack of preheat I should say.

When i get home ill put up a pic of where my crack is at, it is NOT in a weld, it actually runs ACROSS a weld i drilled a hole in the end of the crack to keep it from spreading until i can do something about it. It starts on the outside up by the motor mount, and around the bottom inside the frame, i need to pull out the air box and see how far around it actually goes. No wheelies till i figgure this out

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
thompstud said:
When i get home ill put up a pic of where my crack is at, it is NOT in a weld, it actually runs ACROSS a weld i drilled a hole in the end of the crack to keep it from spreading until i can do something about it. It starts on the outside up by the motor mount, and around the bottom inside the frame, i need to pull out the air box and see how far around it actually goes. No wheelies till i figgure this out

I posted that all the cracks ive seen are on a weld....yours runs across a weld, which would be ON a weld also. Whether the crack leads away from the weld onto the base metal matters not. Their welding is NOT perfect. I almost garauntee they are not preheating the aluminum enough.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts