Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to decide what my next street/strip bike is going to be. Pretty much narrowed it down to 2011+ zx10r or a BMW S1000RR. Ive tried out an S1000RR at the track and ran a [email protected] on one. Never test ridden a 2011+ zx10r.

My main goal with whichever bike i choose is to run at least [email protected]+ at swb with just boltons, and 8.9s with bolton extensions + boltons

The problem that im having is that i dont see many 2011+ zx10r running those times even though it should do it pretty easily imo given the power that they dyno at. They always seem to be at least on par or more powerwise than an s1000rr once the zx10r has basic boltons+flashed ecu

Ive been reading threads here and watching a bunch of youtube videos etc. checked out the fastest swb zx10r and fastest zx10r list. But as i said not many gen 4 running the numbers that im looking to run. Ive btw seen Tony Ferland run really fast on a stock motor 2011 zx10r but ofcourse he doesnt weigh very much and is a very good rider with a well setup bike.

I btw just sold my GSX-R 1000 K6, and im looking for a newer more powerful street/strip bike. My best run on the K6 1000 was [email protected] and best 60ft 1.64 and that was at stockwheelbase on pump gas, footshifting, stock motor and head, with just a slipon and bolton mods. And im 210 lbs suited

given what i ran on my k6 1000 which is probably only around 165whp at most since it isnt even tuned and had 26 k miles on it. Im expecting to run at least [email protected]+ mph on a full bolton+ecu flash swb gen 4 zx10r and hoping then to throw on bolton extensions and change gearing to try to run an 8.9x

Am i expecting to much from the Gen 4 zx10r ? , as i said before im 210 lbs suited at this time but might be lighter before next season

·
Registered
174 Posts
Its a kawasaki zx10r forum. I wonder what the masses are gonna say lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a kawasaki zx10r forum. I wonder what the masses are gonna say lol
lol not really looking for the debate zx10r vs s1000rr
Im just not sure if im expecting to much from gen4 zx10r, i think since a full bolton flashed zx10r puts down 180+whp it should pretty easily run faster than my old K6 1000 that isold. I guess im just a bit worried that im expecting to much from it if i decide to buy one

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Your in Iceland the times your looking at will be slower than most your reading around in the country here vs Iceland. If you come to the US and think your going to run the same times I think you will be very humbled and appreciate the times posted more on this site and others. :wink:

bottom line the S1k and ZX10R are to close to call it always comes down to Rider....but with that said they are not great Drag bikes out of the box because of the clutches and gearing....that's why you see many 1st Gen 10Rs with incredible times to this day....meaning your going to have to do some work either way.

Bloo

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your in Iceland the times your looking at will be slower than most your reading around in the country here vs Iceland. If you come to the US and think your going to run the same times I think you will be very humbled and appreciate the times posted more on this site and others. :wink:

bottom line the S1k and ZX10R are to close to call it always comes down to Rider....but with that said they are not great Drag bikes out of the box because of the clutches and gearing....that's why you see many 1st Gen 10Rs with incredible times to this day....meaning your going to have to do some work either way.

Bloo
thx for the reply

yeah its a bit colder here in Iceland + my track is pretty much at sea level :)
i for example hopped on a friends K8 1000 GSX-R and ran a [email protected] on it on my 4th run. And that bike was all stock + stock height except it had leo vince dual slip on. I was really impressed with the trap since im 210 lbs suited.

But that is also why im expecting the gen4 zx10r to run [email protected]+ given what ive already ran on pretty much stock gsxr´s which should have a lot less power. I guess i gotta just buy a gen4 z10r and see what it does :)

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
thx for the reply

yeah its a bit colder here in Iceland + my track is pretty much at sea level :)
i for example hopped on a friends K8 1000 GSX-R and ran a [email protected] on it on my 4th run. And that bike was all stock + stock height except it had leo vince dual slip on. I was really impressed with the trap since im 210 lbs suited.

But that is also why im expecting the gen4 zx10r to run [email protected]+ given what ive already ran on pretty much stock gsxr´s which should have a lot less power. I guess i gotta just buy a gen4 z10r and see what it does :)
Exactly....your in a nice place I ran 9.9s at 148mph to on my 1st Gen ZX10r stock 215lbs.....not even a power commander and slip-on but I was also lowered and although we are close to sea level I read before not all sea levels are the same I think your are at one of the best places possible the kind the Magazines like to adjust their test #s to make bikes look better in their drag test results(adjusted 1/4 mile times :badteeth:)

I commend you for admitting that or at least not arguing that I don't see that kind of attitude with most these days your open to suggestions and listen.....Good Luck with what ever you decide. :thumbsup::eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Exactly....your in a nice place I ran 9.9s at 148mph to on my 1st Gen ZX10r stock 215lbs.....not even a power commander and slip-on but I was also lowered and although we are close to sea level I read before not all sea levels are the same I think your are at one of the best places possible the kind the Magazines like to adjust their test #s to make bikes look better in their drag test results(adjusted 1/4 mile times :badteeth:)

I commend you for admitting that or at least not arguing that I don't see that kind of attitude with most these days your open to suggestions and listen.....Good Luck with what ever you decide. :thumbsup::eek:ccasion1

Yeah bikes here in Iceland seem to deliver the power pretty good, but thats why i got high hopes for the gen4 zx10r :wink:

i try to squeeze everything i can from the bikes, every little helps, always have almost no gasoline in the tank, 40lbs air pressure in front tire, clean and lightly lube chain with wd40, tuck well behind the windscreen and move myself farther back once i get going, arms and legs pinned up against the bike etc etc....

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
If your looking to drag race why not get the bike that was built for it a ZX14.
Lol.....I forgot about that too...the New ZX14 is Monster...the Busas seem from what I heard are easier to modify but agree with TechX.

I personally ride 1000s because I live and ride in condensed city traffic to work, ride on long rides, and like to drag race too...only a skinny bike with High HP fits the bill for me to get the best of ALL WORLDs :wink::mrgreen:

bloo

·
Registered
636 Posts
The gen 4 will do what you expect as long as you can ride it. Looks like you can. I don't have hardly any experience at drag strip compared to most and have went 9.7s with 1.67-1.69 60fts SWB. I am a little heavier then you as well. I have maybe 40- 50 total passes on a bike at drag strip. I'm hoping to get a 9.5 by the end of the season. I have like 2 or 3 days left here the track is open. I think with this -1 sprocket I can get there.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You can achieve them times on gen4 even at your weight but will be much easier,cheaper if you go with zx14. If you decide go with the gen4 get the ecu flash they respond really well after, beef up the clutch department, set it up for your body weight and regear the bike they have LONG 1st gear like the 1st gens and any other other boltons like pipe, filter etc will help. Good luck and nice riding man always good see another racer out there ridin swb :wink: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If your looking to drag race why not get the bike that was built for it a ZX14.
the main reason for not getting a zx14r is because i like the smaller more agile bikes for the street. I had a Gen 1 Busa last year btw

The gen 4 will do what you expect as long as you can ride it. Looks like you can. I don't have hardly any experience at drag strip compared to most and have went 9.7s with 1.67-1.69 60fts SWB. I am a little heavier then you as well. I have maybe 40- 50 total passes on a bike at drag strip. I'm hoping to get a 9.5 by the end of the season. I have like 2 or 3 days left here the track is open. I think with this -1 sprocket I can get there.
yeah i think i can pretty easily learn how to launch and ride the gen 4 zx10r. I was just a bit worried since i wasnt seeing many run the times that i want to run on it. In the last two years ive owned 4 street bikes that ive raced at the 1/4 mile with and tried a couple friends bikes

bikes ive owned
Completely stock CBR 954 [email protected]
Modified GSX-R 1000 K7 [email protected] on it best 60ft 1.50
Gen 1 Hayabusa [email protected] on it best 60ft 1.42
stock wheelbase K6 [email protected] on it best 60ft 1.64

bikes ive hopped on at the track
BMW [email protected] on it with a 1.60 60ft
Gen 1 Haybusa stage 1 turbo [email protected] on it with a 1.62 60ft
swb and stock height k7 1[email protected] on it wihta 1.77 60ft

You can achieve them times on gen4 even at your weight but will be much easier,cheaper if you go with zx14. If you decide go with the gen4 get the ecu flash they respond really well after, beef up the clutch department, set it up for your body weight and regear the bike they have LONG 1st gear like the 1st gens and any other other boltons like pipe, filter etc will help. Good luck and nice riding man always good see another racer out there ridin swb :wink: :thumbsup:
yeah i know the zx14r is very good. But as i said above i like to have a more agile and nimble bike for the street and i think the zx10r looks a lot better.

Wait for the h2.
yeah i wouldnt mind owning it. But i think the price will be at least 20+k

·
Registered
330 Posts
I rode both bikes before I bought my 10-R. I'm partial to Kawi's, but I thought if I was going to spend that much money, I should try the Beemer.
The S1000RR is an excellent bike. Better midrange than the 10 IMO, excellent ergos, but I felt a lot more in the topend on the stock 10R. For me, the 10 was better.

I think if you're going to drag race, I would go for the top end power.

·
The Pace
7,029 Posts
H2 will not be that pricey as price must be kept low as market is near non existent. H2 is the platform for a future 500 or 750 super sport. My point is that Kawa is gonna sell it cheap to get it out there for the straight guys to report. It will most likely be as advertised, this time. H2 is gonna be within the advertiser loss column, meaning retail will be low, imo.

h2 is exactly what you want. Outta the box. Any twist bike you buy will demand mods. Expensive mods.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts