Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Are smog block offs worth doing???

2. I am thinking of modding my exhaust as i only have a slipon now, im thinking of removing the cat and welding a pipe from the header to slip on. what would be the downfalls of this if any, what would i need to change, just servo motor eliminator? would this mod be worth doing?

3. What do velocity stacks do? worth the upgrade?

BREATH.....thank you

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
did blockoffs on mine. just not the plates, the DIY style. Im happier because there is less popping and such. Also helps you to tune AFR because there is nothing screwing with it on exit.

Gen 1 does not actually have cats, so dont worry about that. Headers will help your exhaust flow better because they are usually larger. Theyre also lighter as well. it will remove the servo motor. I would ditch the servo anyways. Perfect spot to place a powercommander. Look up Hellsrazor Servo Buddy. Its a DIY mod that takes only a little bit of techincal know-how and a soldering iron.

Velocity stacks change the intake tract length over the throttle bodies. In doing so, you alter the velocity of the air entering, which changes the way the motor behaves. Longer typically means more torque and lowend power. Shorter will result in the opposite of that. To tell you if you should do those would depend on your riding style.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how did you do the block offs? they just look like square pieces that could be cut out of metal or something, i cant afford headers right now so that is why i was gonna eliminate the servo etc with a straight pipe, would it help

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
I couldve sworn short stacks was for torque and the opposite for top end

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
dont want a drag or track bike, just a super street machine
Yeah, the stock 10s are known to lag behind other bikes. The GSXR 600 in particular... :lol:

You're getting a PC3, get it tuned on a dyno, i.e. get a custom map done. If you want more acceleration, but are not focused on top speed, get a bigger sprocket in the rear. Upgrade front brakes. Make sure your suspension is set to your weight and riding style.

If you have access to different velocity stacks, you can experiment with them and see if you feel a difference. I have no idea how much they cost, but if you can get a set cheaply, you can try them and see.

When considering a particular mod, try to find out as much as you can about what it does and how it's supposed to work. At least you'll know what to expect and if it's worth your time and money.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
dont order expensive stacks, just find a used airbox on ebay for $20 and use the stacks it comes with, thats what i did or order them from ronayers.com but im not sure how much they cost from the website

·
2,156 Posts
I couldve sworn short stacks was for torque and the opposite for top end
Short stacks will likely give less resistance for the air entering the engine, thus increasing the top-end power.

A lot depends on the actual shape and texture. Aerodynamics is not the most intuitive thing (as illustrated by the golf ball dimples).

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
nevermind, ur right, my bad...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, the stock 10s are known to lag behind other bikes. The GSXR 600 in particular... :lol:

You're getting a PC3, get it tuned on a dyno, i.e. get a custom map done. If you want more acceleration, but are not focused on top speed, get a bigger sprocket in the rear. Upgrade front brakes. Make sure your suspension is set to your weight and riding style.

If you have access to different velocity stacks, you can experiment with them and see if you feel a difference. I have no idea how much they cost, but if you can get a set cheaply, you can try them and see.

When considering a particular mod, try to find out as much as you can about what it does and how it's supposed to work. At least you'll know what to expect and if it's worth your time and money.
Already have upgraded to zx14 brakes, suspension setup, have -1 +3 sprockets. planned on doing pc3, custom map and tune, air filter, remove secondary flies etc, whatever can be done

·
2,156 Posts
Already have upgraded to zx14 brakes, suspension setup, have -1 +3 sprockets. planned on doing pc3, custom map and tune, air filter, remove secondary flies etc, whatever can be done
Ha! Living the dream indeed. :mrgreen: You could get the race manual and see what other ideas you can get from there.

·
2,156 Posts
Cant tell if you were being sarcastic or not but I just get ideas from here and want to do them, i am not totally familiar on modding bikes yet but am gonna try
No, not sarcastic. You already have more mods than most bikes out there (at least planned). If you want more ideas you need to look in many sources.

The "living the dream" is from your own signature.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
if youre going to do a custom tune, you need to do the block off plates. they inject air that is diverted from the airbox into the exhaust stream to cause excess fuel to be burned in the exhaust system. I believe this results in a funky AFR reading on the sniffer, thus making an incorrect tune. Yank the flies before you get a tune done too. I might be going turbo on my 10, just dont know how long until then, but I have a full Akra I wont be using if you want you can slap on a full system. If youre interested, you can have first dibs on it. Let me know

1 - 20 of 20 Posts