Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps, about a month ago i fitted a 520 sprocket /chain conversion kits to mah 09 zx10 and torque'd everything up to specs as per the manual..
Today after a decent ride in the rain i decided to wash the bike and check/ relube the chain etc and pulled the front sprocket cover off to find this..

I didnt use any loctite as the manual didnt state to, and i made sure the washer was locked off nice and flat against one of the faces on the nut.. What would be causing this to happen?
Should i hit it with a tiny bit medium strength loccy? I just dont want it to be a prick to get off next time round, but i dont want it to undo itself while im riding either..
Any help would be apprieciated:smile:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
that shouldn't be happening. just retorque it again and flatten the washer. do not use locktite or it will be a bitch to get off next time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When was your torque wrench last calibrated? Even though some people hate it, I use a small amount of Locktite Blue on mine.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When i fitted the 520 kit i used a new washer and nut.. Ive already got a new washer coming for when i retourque it up.. Id never use the same one twice:wink:
As for the torque wrench, its brand new. Its been used like 3 times , never dropped and isnt a cheap and nasty one..

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
2 words.....Lock-Tite!!! even just a couple drops on the inside of the nut of shaft. no more worries. and it couldn't or wouldn't hurt to roll up a couple sides of the washer onto the sides of the nut.

·
Banned
262 Posts
why would you need a new washer, couldnt you just use a side of the same washer that wasnt used before, why wouldnt that work just as good.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
yea you could for sure, the idea of a new washer is that once the metal has been bent, it becomes more malleable and therefor may offer less grip against the nut.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice guys.. Im just gunna fit a new washer and bent 2 tabs over opposite each other this time and see how it goes..
Think ill give the loctite a miss, unless it happens again, cheers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok update on this..
I fitted a new washer and re torqued the nut back up to 92 ft pd's as per manufacturers specs with a differnent torque wrench & tinyest dab of blue loccy.. I also bent over 2 pieces of the washer onto the nut good and proper..
I re checked it tonight after a 95mile hard run through the mountains and the fuckin thing has started working loose again :angryfire:
The bike isnt stock, but isnt off its nut either.. It puts down 176rwhp..
Any other suggestions? Its only been doing this since i switched to 520 running gear..
Cheers

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Maybe your torque wrench isn't calibrated right... I used a impact gun on mine.... Your hp shouldn't make a difference. My bike has 220 hp on spray and I have never had this problem....also make sure you have the sprocket on the right way.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your suggestions mr miami, I used 2 diff torque wrenches, both are fairly new with hardly any use on em.. What are the chances of both of them being out:dontknow:
I was thinking of setting it up to tension the nut 5ft lbs more then recommended and use a bit more medium loccy then what i did previously..
Btw whats the best way to tell the sprocket is on right? My bro in law helped me and swore the way we did it was the right way..
The flat face of the sprocket is facing the engine, and the side with the writing and raised lip that the washer is sitting against to the outside..
Sound right? Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well when I changed mine i used the red lock tight and used my old washer. Mine has been good all track season. I would recommend only bending one side since the washer is to be fitted over the grooves so that the bolt doesn't come loose. Make sure you have the whole side nicely placed flat over one of the flat sides of the bolt.

If you have a good breaker bar and someone standing on the rear brake you will not have any worries with taking it back off. Also have you been torquing with someone on the rear brake pedal. Plus what type of torque wrench are you using? usually the torque wrenches that have the higher torque specs will be more accurate for the higher ranges. Usually when you take it off the first time it is harder than the second time with my experience with bolts from the factory so I recommend lock tight.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
Couple things to check here.

Make sure the countershaft nut is properly bottoming out and clamping the sprocket in place - and not bottoming out at the end of the threads. If the nut is bottoming on the threads and not clamping the sprocket, it could cause things to work loose. This can happen with a 520-conversion sprocket if it is too thin in the area where the nut clamps.

Make sure the splines on the sprocket are a reasonably snug fit over the splines of the shaft. If there is any wobbling or play at all, the sprocket can move around on the shaft and this can work things loose.

Have you tried using a new countershaft nut?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The nut is definately pressing up against the washer/sprocket firmly.. Ive had 2 different 520 front sprockets on it in the last few weeks and still no different..
I have also replaced the nut, so its got me beat:dontknow:
Either both torque wrenches are out or something else is going on.. Will look into it further..
Thanks for the responses:smile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts