Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05' ZX-10R with just under 4000 miles on it and was thinking of swapping out the 17 tooth counter sprocket with a 16 tooth counter sprocket.
Does anyone think it is too late to do this swap since my chain already has 4000 miles of wear ? :dontknow:

Thanks-

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I would buy a good 520 chain coversion kit, and lose some spining weight at the same time. I think the stocker is a 525 if I'm not mistaken, which is huge chain, so I doubt you have streached it much in 4000 miles, The worst that can happen is you will wear the new sprocket a little quicker.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KaTooM said:
I would buy a good 520 chain coversion kit, and lose some spining weight at the same time. I think the stocker is a 530 if I'm not mistaken, which is huge chain, so I doubt you have streached it much in 4000 miles, The worst that can happen is you will wear the new sprocket a little quicker.
The 10 comes with a 525 chain and it seems to be stretching more than the 530 that came on my old RC51. Could be the extra ponies I suppose. I'm more afraid of the new sprocket imposing more wear on the old chain if that makes any sense.

Thanks-

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Go with the 520 conversion....I did and the difference is awesome....I also went up 2 on the rear procket and opted for the Aluminum sprocket instead of the steel one......

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
dsuperhawk said:
I have a 05' ZX-10R with just under 4000 miles on it and was thinking of swapping out the 17 tooth counter sprocket with a 16 tooth counter sprocket.
Does anyone think it is too late to do this swap since my chain already has 4000 miles of wear ? :dontknow:

Thanks-
This is another one of those personal choices for sure, i know i wouldn't with 4k but if your funds aren't such to replace the entire setup at once then ok. The OEM chain is a 525 series so make sure the sprocket is compatable.

BD

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mach_man_187 said:
Go with the 520 conversion....I did and the difference is awesome....I also went up 2 on the rear procket and opted for the Aluminum sprocket instead of the steel one......
Yeah, I've been eying an AFAM/ERV3 conversion but I figured for 25 bucks I could try out a new ratio. Besides I like the way the OEM counter sprocket dampens out the chain vibrations.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
dsuperhawk said:
Yeah, I've been eying an AFAM/ERV3 conversion but I figured for 25 bucks I could try out a new ratio. Besides I like the way the OEM counter sprocket dampens out the chain vibrations.
I was just about to say, it's only twenty five bucks; if it wears out prematurely who gives a shit. I would get the 520, my $.02

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I got an ERV2 chain and sprockets for a total of $75. The chain was used at 2 trackdays on an R6....I get a discount at the dealership of %15 over cost. So the sprockets were only $55.00....Definitely a mod that should be considered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts