Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Chairman of the Board
16,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The discourse in AMA paddock is palpable. From 2013′s surprise revelation that AMA Pro Road Racing’s TV package would not cover all the events, to 2014′s complete lack of television coverage, there have been serious questions raised about DMG’s ability to market the premier road racing series in the United States...

More here...

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumors/dorna-north-american-championship/

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Given that the Canadian national series continues to be in trouble, too, I hope this happens.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,639 Posts
The last line pretty much sums it up:

"Either way you look at it, it’s a scary proposition"

Given the current non-existent state of road racing in the US, anything at this point would be a step up though. The DMG experiment is a uber failure.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The last line pretty much sums it up:

"Either way you look at it, it’s a scary proposition"

Given the current non-existent state of road racing in the US, anything at this point would be a step up though. The DMG experiment is a uber failure.
Agreed 100%. I think if things don't change VERY soon American road racing as we have known it will be in total disrepair (Yes even more than it already is). Its seems crazy to me, there are more people doing track days than ever before. I would think that would generate interest?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Agreed 100%. I think if things don't change VERY soon American road racing as we have known it will be in total disrepair (Yes even more than it already is). Its seems crazy to me, there are more people doing track days than ever before. I would think that would generate interest?
You would think so but it seems many people are under the impression (at least here in Canada) that you don't get as much track time and it isn't worth the cost to race compared to a track day. Then there's the people who don't think they can compete or don't want to. I don't understand it personally.

I don't know if Dorna taking over is the right answer but something has to happen and fast, like next year fast.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You would think so but it seems many people are under the impression (at least here in Canada) that you don't get as much track time and it isn't worth the cost to race compared to a track day. Then there's the people who don't think they can compete or don't want to. I don't understand it personally.

I don't know if Dorna taking over is the right answer but something has to happen and fast, like next year fast.
Yes, next year fast is right and I doubt DMG is losing sleep over it. There are some seriously fast guys out there right now at club level. Those guys need a chance to move up and if DMG had their wits they would a way. Bringing the 1000's back to the 200 will help but it needs to be a broader answer than that. I don't want to be using the RIP emoticon for the AMA.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Could they? Sure. Why would they though? As the article mentioned, it would be better for them to start their own series. What exactly do they get by buying the rights to AMA? There is no value in it, possibly even a negative when you think of the association that most people have of it in their minds.

I think a North American series is a brilliant idea. However, I'm not sure how Canada fits in. They don't have any tracks that are FIM approved I thought?

·
Always On Mod
1,839 Posts
I've heard rumors that WERA may be courting Dorna to set up a new series in the US. The superbike shootout here on the west coast seems to be going well. The report from all the racers at the Sear's Point event was it was the most fun they've had racing in a long time. I think the racing fans here are going to have to accept a little bit of compromise though. The TV package may never happen, but an online streaming and DVR is already in the works and could be made better.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The ultimate problem IMHO is that America does not support motorcycle road racing like Europe and Asia we just don't have the fan base to fill race tracks. If the tracks don't make money they can't and won't schedule an event. I don't think any one can make motorcycle road racing work in America. We are a nation of NASCAR watcher's.

Their is also the debate that track days are ruining racing and there is truth to that. Racing at any level is expensive with track days so readily available its so much easier to plop down a small amount and get on a track and go as fast as you like.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,639 Posts
Could they? Sure. Why would they though? As the article mentioned, it would be better for them to start their own series. What exactly do they get by buying the rights to AMA? There is no value in it, possibly even a negative when you think of the association that most people have of it in their minds.

I think a North American series is a brilliant idea. However, I'm not sure how Canada fits in. They don't have any tracks that are FIM approved I thought?
Agreed.

I've heard rumors that WERA may be courting Dorna to set up a new series in the US.
THAT would certainly be interesting. Undercut DMG and put them out of business. They're dead anyways.

Their is also the debate that track days are ruining racing and there is truth to that. Racing at any level is expensive with track days so readily available its so much easier to plop down a small amount and get on a track and go as fast as you like.
The sponsorships help foot the bill with the tracks. Advertizing money is where the paychecks are, not fans filling the seats. Fans will show up if the other elements are already there.

And last time I checked, there are no trophies, awards, track records, or payouts for trackday riders. Some people need to prove they are the best. :badteeth:

Track days are no cheaper than racing, your just committed to a weekend instead of a singe day. Your entry fees may even be cheaper racing, you still use tires and fuel.
Agreed from an individual standpoint. But the highest level guys can make a living at it getting paid to race. I wish I could find someone to sponsor my trackdays. :angryfire:

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
Then there's the people who don't think they can compete or don't want to. I don't understand it personally.
I don't want to compete. There are several reasons for that, and one of them is that on the track I often simply like doing my own thing (trying new things, practicing others, etc.) and competing would take the fun out of it. Everybody can have their own preferences, track days are mine.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The sponsorships help foot the bill with the tracks. Advertizing money is where the paychecks are, not fans filling the seats. Fans will show up if the other elements are already there.

Sadly no fan's no sponsors. Yamaha the last factory effort in DMG will be gone soon no tv coverage no sale's its always been race on sunday sell on monday. Nobody know's their racing on sunday.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,639 Posts
The highest level guys aren't doing track days thought either. At a club level nobody makes money racing and even at the top there's VERY few guys earning money racing. Most of them buy their rides.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you on that at all. I'm merely providing the argument FOR a higher-level of racing as opposed to just keeping it at a club-level and trackdays. There's no incentive to advance and try to achieve greatness in that type of an environment. Unless there's some sort of money in it - contingency, race purse, salary from a factory ride, etc.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,639 Posts
Sadly no fan's no sponsors. Yamaha the last factory effort in DMG will be gone soon no tv coverage no sale's its always been race on sunday sell on monday. Nobody know's their racing on sunday.
Yes, you're right on that. But don't confuse the cause with the effect here. The DMG inherited a meager fan base to start, and ran it into the ground from there. Instead of trying to grow the series from what they started with and recapture and innovate on a proven series, they revamped it and drove away what little they had.

There's no fans now because of the way it was/is promoted. Which is non-existent. Racers weren't excited about participating in a DMG sanctioned event and neither were the manufacturers. Once they left, so did the fans. You need to get a viable series in place, with sponsorship backing, and market it out to the public. They will come and help support it in the end if it's viable. So the first thing that needs to happen is to attract sponsors. :wink: It's the "build it and they will come" mentality.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I don't want to compete. There are several reasons for that, and one of them is that on the track I often simply like doing my own thing (trying new things, practicing others, etc.) and competing would take the fun out of it. Everybody can have their own preferences, track days are mine.
It's not for everyone but it seems everyone knocks it before they try it. Out of the 100 people I see at a track day maybe 1 would even consider racing.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you on that at all. I'm merely providing the argument FOR a higher-level of racing as opposed to just keeping it at a club-level and trackdays. There's no incentive to advance and try to achieve greatness in that type of an environment. Unless there's some sort of money in it - contingency, race purse, salary from a factory ride, etc.
10-4 :eek:ccasion1

·
Always On Mod
1,839 Posts
The ultimate problem IMHO is that America does not support motorcycle road racing like Europe and Asia we just don't have the fan base to fill race tracks. If the tracks don't make money they can't and won't schedule an event. I don't think any one can make motorcycle road racing work in America. We are a nation of NASCAR watcher's.

The total number of racing fans in the US may be just as many as in EU, just the 5 of population is significantly less. There are so many options in the US vying for attention with sports, reality TV, NASCAR, etc. Road racing here needs to accept its niche audience and find a cheap yet effective way to market to them. I see the internet as this path, but I realize i'm not the majority. I can't tell you the last time I scheduled time to sit down and watch something on live TV. It's so much simpler to catch a recorded version on my timeline.

Track days are no cheaper than racing, your just committed to a weekend instead of a singe day. Your entry fees may even be cheaper racing, you still use tires and fuel.
The path from club to national to international needs to be smoother and easier if we expect US talent to be on the world stage. BSB works with their series and riders feeding into WSBK, WSS, or Moto2.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,639 Posts
The path from club to national to international needs to be smoother and easier if we expect US talent to be on the world stage. BSB works with their series and riders feeding into WSBK, WSS, or Moto2.
If by "easier" you mean "any", then I concur. :lol: DMG killed any real path for a rider in this country to get into the international scene.

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
It's not for everyone but it seems everyone knocks it before they try it. Out of the 100 people I see at a track day maybe 1 would even consider racing.
You don't need to try it to know if you like it or not.

Racing is a bigger commitment than track days, no matter how you present it. If you don't plan on showing up regularly, why bother? If 100 people signed up for a racing season, and then only 20 attended each weekend, it could be a PITA for the organizers, and those riders who were serious about racing could have 2 other bikes in their class, and a different 2 every time. That's is not showing too much respect for those who keep the series going, and those who seriously want to compete.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts