Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Crossed road in front close but no brakes needed. Smaller lion maybe 60 pounds as he looked the size of my four legged child. Smooth gait which reminded also of the above child. Color was red not the tawny that I see on photos. Mount Hamilton is the location of this nice little cat. A tiny straight where I routinely hit about 74 mph before having set up for a mild twist. Right when I throttled down, he crossed. Perfect. My first sighting ever of a lion. Heard them at various houses we've owned but never a sighting. Nice day.

edit: when I started this morning a black cat crossed the street in front of me. Cat city. After a few miles a flock of white pelicans flew low over me. Kinda interesting.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Never saw one in person myself. Could have been bad if it crossed at the wrong time, but it didn't and it's a good memory. :ayyy:

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never saw one in person myself. Could have been bad if it crossed at the wrong time, but it didn't and it's a good memory. :ayyy:
First time ever and I've lived for years in lion habitat. They hate loud dogs so stayed away from the house. Same with bears. Stunning beauty in motion is the memory.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
They are all over but rarely seen. Saw a black bear once on my loop, as you said, young and charged across the road in front of me. Those painters (that's hick for panther) really worry me when I'm out on my mountain bike. Rattlers too.

Have taken the summer off from motorcycle riding, almost a month since I've twisted any throttle. Riding road and mountain bicycles because I can get up early and ride.

Next track day will be in October, hopefully it will have cooled down.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They are all over but rarely seen. Saw a black bear once on my loop, as you said, young and charged across the road in front of me. Those painters (that's hick for panther) really worry me when I'm out on my mountain bike. Rattlers too.

Have taken the summer off from motorcycle riding, almost a month since I've twisted any throttle. Riding road and mountain bicycles because I can get up early and ride.

Next track day will be in October, hopefully it will have cooled down.
yes, painters. Been awhile since I heard that word. No wondering about its meaning. Probably how they move. Pure grace. Not joking when I noted the malinois in that lion gait.

thinking about you not riding. This summer kinda blew up for me with the radiator. Off for at least three weeks. Last summer the county ripped up the rural section and the other county messed up 17 making the entire loop impossible due to heat on one section that would have killed me so couldn't ride as too lazy to explore another loop that would be infested with popo (big sur area). The summer before that the '11 blew up around june. So couldn't ride as we were then planning on selling and moving. Life is interesting. Distance bicycling I did a ton of around early 90's. I mean a ton. Like 400 miles per week at the peak. lol. Good cardio but don't ask me to walk a couple miles.

yes, we have a few pumas here but only the babies get into trouble. I often ran over cat and bear poop in Trinity county on a wr250 but never saw either critter on a bike or near the house. A good dog does it, trust me. did see a bear running across the road in Trinity but I was in a cage. Only time except in Yellowstone with mom and dad. lol

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
yes, painters. Been awhile since I heard that word. No wondering about its meaning. Probably how they move. Pure grace. Not joking when I noted the malinois in that lion gait.

thinking about you not riding. This summer kinda blew up for me with the radiator. Off for at least three weeks. Last summer the county ripped up the rural section and the other county messed up 17 making the entire loop impossible due to heat on one section that would have killed me so couldn't ride as too lazy to explore another loop that would be infested with popo (big sur area). The summer before that the '11 blew up around june. So couldn't ride as we were then planning on selling and moving. Life is interesting. Distance bicycling I did a ton of around early 90's. I mean a ton. Like 400 miles per week at the peak. lol. Good cardio but don't ask me to walk a couple miles.

yes, we have a few pumas here but only the babies get into trouble. I often ran over cat and bear poop in Trinity county on a wr250 but never saw either critter on a bike or near the house. A good dog does it, trust me. did see a bear running across the road in Trinity but I was in a cage. Only time except in Yellowstone with mom and dad. lol
lol I never did more than about 150 miles/week. Now it's like 50. Still fun. WR250, yes, great bike. I had a WR250X for a couple of years, too.

Wish I still had that one.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol I never did more than about 150 miles/week. Now it's like 50. Still fun. WR250, yes, great bike. I had a WR250X for a couple of years, too.

Wish I still had that one.
Mine was baja kit street legal so worthless at my last place when we moved to the city as no way can it stay ahead on slab. Sold it, np. Next one like that would be bigger and electric start. So hated kicking that bike after a crash.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Mine was baja kit street legal so worthless at my last place when we moved to the city as no way can it stay ahead on slab. Sold it, np. Next one like that would be bigger and electric start. So hated kicking that bike after a crash.
That was why I sold my 250X. No power.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was why I sold my 250X. No power.
yes np on slab but plenty on the logging roads. I needs the plate has often got lost in Trinity then dumped out on a road then raced for home. lol so crazy there as get lost so easily as all the trees and canyons look alike when running along.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
yes np on slab but plenty on the logging roads. I needs the plate has often got lost in Trinity then dumped out on a road then raced for home. lol so crazy there as get lost so easily as all the trees and canyons look alike when running along.
did a pretty long ride on my GS about 25 years ago in the Trinity alps; logging trucks make it interesting.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did a pretty long ride on my GS about 25 years ago in the Trinity alps; logging trucks make it interesting.
Yes, the logging roads made it great. My property was five acres butted up to the Shasta-Trinity forest. I had a trail on the other side of my fence. Snows there so no riding then but not enough snow for a snowmobile. We had a lot of bear and big cats but never once had one around the house. They do hate loud dogs. We were up there between '99-2004. Very empty and hot and isolated.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Yes, the logging roads made it great. My property was five acres butted up to the Shasta-Trinity forest. I had a trail on the other side of my fence. Snows there so no riding then but not enough snow for a snowmobile. We had a lot of bear and big cats but never once had one around the house. They do hate loud dogs. We were up there between '99-2004. Very empty and hot and isolated.
Nice. Perfect setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts